IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sound gone on ML? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-08, 12:05 PM
IndyIS
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGhost
The Amp just heat up, so as a safty feature to avoid the amp or the fuse to burn it shuts down, and that is a normal thing specially if you are playing your music in extremly load music for a long time.

No need to take it to the dealership. Just trun the car off and on again and the computer will turn the amp on again.
Unfortunately, I don't think this is the cause for me. Nothing works when I turn the car on in the morning after sitting all night and, I don't listen to the music loud either.
Old 11-13-08, 02:36 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The amp overheating and shutting down makes sense but there's no way that amp should overheat and cut itself off within 2 minutes of turning the car on with the radio barely on(at night). Besides, last time it happened, I turned the car off then back on and blared the radio up to 50 for about a 30 minute drive and didn't have a problem the entire way! If the amp was overheating, it wouldn't be able to take that kind of a load without shutting down again...
Old 11-13-08, 07:44 PM
IndyIS
Driver

Tonight on my drive home from work, the radio never worked, so I clicked on the "sound" and check out the picture... I've never turned the treble or bass all the way up, and look where the fader is, all the way at the back pax side of the car. Look closer and you'll see the "mid" audio tuning is missing. This clearly says something other than the amp is wrong.

I found instructions from Sewell on how to install the XM module, and from the directions, it looks like the XM is mounted with the amp, and wires that are normally plugged directly into the amp, now run through the XM module first.

If the dealer can't get my car in this weekend, I'm going to see what happens when I disconnect the amp. My radio works about 5% of the time, so I should know something pretty quick once the XM is disconnected.
Old 11-13-08, 07:45 PM
IndyIS
Driver

oh, by the way, I tried the bluetooth option that was mentioned earlier and it did nothing. so the good news is that the bluetooth probably isn't messing things up... the bad news, something crazy is going on.
Old 11-21-08, 12:10 PM
IndyIS
Driver

hey everyone ~ me again... dropped my car at the dealer last Saturday (11/14) and picked it up last night. they called the TIS service desk and were told to replace the XM unit. sadly, I got in this morning to drive to work, and the sound cut off again.

and, it was 23 degrees this morning and was only on for about 2 minutes, so clearly not an overheating issue at this point.

more to come another time when there may be a solution some day...
Old 11-21-08, 09:17 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

Sounds like the dealer is stumped too. Good luck and make sure to follow up with whatever the solution is, you may help out somebody else down the line.
Old 12-06-08, 10:18 PM
acuat2
Driver School Candidate

I had this same problem and came to this forum with the hopes of finding a solution. Same issue, CD sound will cut out (CD still shows track playing) and volume control is off. I could switch to other modes (radio, aux) and it would still work. What I also noticed was when that happened, i was able to switch to an MP3 CD and it played.....so its definatley not the amp. My only thought is an issue with the software / codec??

Anyway I am on my 3rd stereo. The first one had the issues right after I took my car in for another TSB. The subject matter issue happened (CD sound off)...as well as a brand new strore bought CD (with no scratches) was skipping badly. I noticed all of my settings were reset in my car, so I assumed that they reset the electrical system (when performing the engine maintenance) and something got messed up.

When the second stereo was installed, right when I drove off the dealership, the stereo had the same problem right from the start (no CD sound or volume control). I took it back right away and had it replaced.

I am now on the third one and again have had two VERY isolated issues with this. Back to the dealer I went, and obviously it was/is working perfect. In fact I have been running the CD player constantly and it sounds great.

They have had no other people with the same issue, or any outstanding TSB with this problem. I should also mention they provided extremely great service and actually spent some good time trying to find the problem.

Rather than have them change the stereo again I told them I would take the car back and bring it in the second the problem happened again so they could catch the issue.

Anyway if anyone has this issue and can figure out the root cause, it would be helpful, as it seems for some owners this is one of those very isolated issues which is hard to pinpoint or recreate.
Old 12-16-08, 07:24 AM
IndyIS
Driver

Problem Solved...for now. The dealer replaced the head unit a little over a week ago and so far, so good. I've listened to XM, CD and FM for multiple hours, and used the bluetooth for a couple hour long conference calls (I have a 70 mile commute each way so easy to talk for a long time).

The dealer mentioned that although it took replacing the head unit to clear things up, that doesn't necessarily mean that was the only problem, as there were other problems that have been addressed in the past with the first few fixes they attempted. I really don't care though, as I'm glad to have a working stereo again... right on time for the car to be parked for the winter.

Oh, I called Lexus and had them document this in case it happens again out of warranty. These parts ain't cheap!
Old 12-16-08, 07:27 AM
IndyIS
Driver

Originally Posted by acuat2
I had this same problem and came to this forum with the hopes of finding a solution. Same issue, CD sound will cut out (CD still shows track playing) and volume control is off. I could switch to other modes (radio, aux) and it would still work. What I also noticed was when that happened, i was able to switch to an MP3 CD and it played.....so its definatley not the amp. My only thought is an issue with the software / codec?? ...
I think maybe we have different issues as once my sound cut out, it didn't matter what I switched to, there was still no sound. Even the "beeps" from changing temperature, etc. didn't work. Do you have the ML system?
Old 12-30-08, 11:47 PM
acuat2
Driver School Candidate

Ya I have the ML system, in my case I really believe it has something to do with the CD player. I recently had the problem again....on my way to the dealer, the probelm OBVIOUSLY went away. The sound didnt come back immediately, it was more like it was cutting in and out before it was perfectly clear. No problems since
Old 12-31-08, 02:56 PM
my06is350
Driver School Candidate

hi everyone,this is my first post.i just got a 06 is350 with sport package and navi with 22ks,black on black back in september and just found this site not to long ago.i love this car and been wanting one since it first came out but yeah i had this happen one time and was like what the f***!did my ml system crap out or something.so i drove for about ten minutes and still nothing...got to work and turned the car off and on and everything was back to normal.since then it hasnt happen again "knock on wood" but i too would like to know the root cause if anyone else has figured it out.
Old 01-04-09, 02:20 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This happens to my friends Evo who has a Xplod system with amp and it shots down when its hot.
It also happens to someone I knwo who owns a G35 and has a system. he plays it full blast always and it hapens to him often.
I wouldnt worry about it.
Like BlackGosht said
Old 07-27-10, 07:53 PM
acuat2
Driver School Candidate

so just so everyone who may have had the same issue I did....Lexus finally had a factory rep out. After changing 2 stereos and an ML amp....they actually found the issue to be a pinched output wire from the CD signal.