Uneven tire wear, no drop... normal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-08, 08:42 AM
shortbus19
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by holYcOO
count me in for one....

guy I bought it from had to replace the fronts at 25k and had an alignment done but of uneven tire wear....interesting.

Go ahead and send them an email about it. Heck you can use the info from the one I sent (see a few posts up) as a starting point. Just go here and register https://auth.owners.lexus.com/lexuso...sl/OwnersLogin then contact them through it. They tend to respond faster if you are a registered owner. Either way, get in touch with them.
Old 04-23-09, 11:32 AM
ayu910
Driver School Candidate

Notice the same tire wear issue today, innner totally gone on both with the right side tire had begun to separate internally. Car is totally stock with around 26K miles. Email when out to Lexus cuosmter assistance center today, hope to hear from them soon.

Thank you all for the helpful information in this thread.
Old 04-23-09, 12:18 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ayu910
Notice the same tire wear issue today, innner totally gone on both with the right side tire had begun to separate internally. Car is totally stock with around 26K miles. Email when out to Lexus cuosmter assistance center today, hope to hear from them soon.

Thank you all for the helpful information in this thread.
it could be your alignment....and stock tire should last about 25k miles...
Old 04-23-09, 02:41 PM
Akatsuki
Lead Lap

I have the same inner wall problem. the uneven tread wear is bad on my car. I'm taking it in next week to see what they would do.
Old 04-23-09, 03:53 PM
ayu910
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chris07is
it could be your alignment....and stock tire should last about 25k miles...
I suspect the factory alignment spec which optimize for performance caused numbers of IS owner to experience the same extreme inner tire wear symptom. Kind of reminded me the factory brake pads on the IS which is more performance optimized but the down side is heavy brake dust, it backfired on Lexus which result in issue of a TSIB.

I think majority of Lexus customers are not performance oriented and performance alignment spec at the expense of tire life might be not ideal for their business model and/or target customer. Again, brake pad TSIB can be good reference.
Old 07-04-09, 03:06 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This issues really boils down to the toe-out spec. It can be addressed by someone that has alignment experience, not just someone that reads computer specs. This is a performance sedan, and I really don't mind the break dust at all. About the tire wear, I just opted and got tires that are non-directional so I can get the most life out of them. Nitto Invos do just that. And so far they look good.

Last edited by XhyDra; 07-04-09 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-04-09, 09:31 PM
USB_F
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just replaced both front tires with Falken FK452's due to extreme inner tire wear. I will be getting another alignment in a few days. Oh, my stock Bridgestone's lasted 22k.
Old 07-05-09, 09:24 PM
gemini1
FNM President

Default Result of my Inner tire tread wear. WTF

It blew out on me while I was going about 70mph on fwy yesterday..
Driver's side front...
Attached Thumbnails Uneven tire wear, no drop... normal?-cimg0187.jpg   Uneven tire wear, no drop... normal?-cimg0189.jpg   Uneven tire wear, no drop... normal?-cimg0191.jpg   Uneven tire wear, no drop... normal?-cimg0192.jpg   Uneven tire wear, no drop... normal?-cimg0194.jpg  

Old 07-05-09, 09:32 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

holy **** gemini.. that looks crazy. seemed like you need to replace it few thousand miles again. thank god you are OK.
Old 07-06-09, 12:24 AM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn gemini1, how many miles did you have on the tires, once they start looking tender it's a no go, wow! I was scared once I started seeing the inner rubber and you could tell it was about to give. Good thing Discount Tire gave me loaners while my order arrived. Highly recommend those guys! North Hollywood. Well glad you're ok, get yourself a set of non-directional tires so you can flip them and you can have a longer tire life-span, just give Cyrus a call. JC Auto House, they'll fix up your toe.

t0e certified toe-out-spec.
Old 07-06-09, 01:50 AM
gemini1
FNM President

Originally Posted by XhyDra
Damn gemini1, how many miles did you have on the tires, once they start looking tender it's a no go, wow! I was scared once I started seeing the inner rubber and you could tell it was about to give. Good thing Discount Tire gave me loaners while my order arrived. Highly recommend those guys! North Hollywood. Well glad you're ok, get yourself a set of non-directional tires so you can flip them and you can have a longer tire life-span, just give Cyrus a call. JC Auto House, they'll fix up your toe.

t0e certified toe-out-spec.
LoL..Thanks for the info Manny...
Old 07-06-09, 07:27 PM
USB_F
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn, my driver side tire looked just like that until I replaced it. Good thing u are ok.
Old 07-06-09, 07:43 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

I also have inner tire wear issues. My problem is my car's a lease and I want to get rid of it soon but don't want to get charged for tires from Lexus Financial Services.

I called 800-25-LEXUS to complain and got the same "the IS is a sport sedan" response but after I pushed a little they asked me to go into my local dealer to have them look at my tires.

I was standing in the service drive with the service manager when we saw two other IS's pulling away and you could plainly see the inner tire wear on them.

I called back to Lexus and after they spoke with the dealership, Lexus decided to give me two complimentary tires.

Now I just have to see what the dealership is going to charge me for the other two tires plus labor and all the rest of it.

Wish me luck fellas.
Old 07-06-09, 07:50 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steview83
hmmm....my car is at 22k and i just noticed severe inner wear on my driver side...(little better on the passenger side)...my car is all stock btw...
same thing here had to get new front tires at 19k..
Old 08-08-09, 09:18 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any update from corporate guys?

Quick Reply: Uneven tire wear, no drop... normal?