IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need help! People with edfc installed in ash tray

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-08, 02:33 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help! People with edfc installed in ash tray

Hi. I just purchased my edfc and tein cs for my is350. I went to the tuner store and talked to him about installation on the edfc in ash tray. He measured it and said there will be custom work to it. The depth is not deep enough for the edfc. Anyone know if there is wires under neath the ash tray? How do you guys custom fitted the edfc in the ash tray. Thanks
Old 05-20-08, 03:03 PM
ghettoaww
Lead Lap

I saw your post in the performance thread and was surprised that Alex350 hasn't said anything. Anyway I purchased the tein cs w/ edfc but haven't installed it. I really liked the way Alex350 did it and I asked him how he did it and he responded with this:

"Your shop should be able to do it just fine. All you have to do is remove the ashtray (just press the button and it comes out) and cut a hole on the plastic below it so that you can place the EDFC flush (so that the ashtray door closes) and connect the wires of the EDFC. If you have the unit, you will see that the EDFC fits perfectly in there. In order to keep the unit in place, you can use the brackets or the double-sided tape that comes with the EDFC (I used the tape). This job doesn't require any custom fabrication of any kind, so you should be OK. Hope this helps and let me know if you have other questions."

Let me know how the install goes because I am installing it as soon as my rims come in.
Old 05-20-08, 03:37 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had something else installed in there and my guess is they are missing the fact that the ashtray pops out. I have the V1 Concealed display mounted in the same spot and they are close to the same size. You should only need to cut the whole to pass thru the wire.
Old 05-20-08, 05:51 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Hi. I just purchased my edfc and tein cs for my is350. I went to the tuner store and talked to him about installation on the edfc in ash tray. He measured it and said there will be custom work to it. The depth is not deep enough for the edfc. Anyone know if there is wires under neath the ash tray? How do you guys custom fitted the edfc in the ash tray. Thanks
Originally Posted by ghettoaww
I saw your post in the performance thread and was surprised that Alex350 hasn't said anything. Anyway I purchased the tein cs w/ edfc but haven't installed it. I really liked the way Alex350 did it and I asked him how he did it and he responded with this:

"Your shop should be able to do it just fine. All you have to do is remove the ashtray (just press the button and it comes out) and cut a hole on the plastic below it so that you can place the EDFC flush (so that the ashtray door closes) and connect the wires of the EDFC. If you have the unit, you will see that the EDFC fits perfectly in there. In order to keep the unit in place, you can use the brackets or the double-sided tape that comes with the EDFC (I used the tape). This job doesn't require any custom fabrication of any kind, so you should be OK. Hope this helps and let me know if you have other questions."

Let me know how the install goes because I am installing it as soon as my rims come in.
Hello smoky, I think that ghettoaww pretty much answered your question by quoting a message I sent him. Basically, all you have to do is remove the ashtray receptacle by pressing the button on the side (like if you were removing it to clean it) and then, use a Dremel or similar tool to cut the area underneath where the receptacle was (you don't need to touch the area where the lighter is). The hole you will have then should be big enough to fit the EDFC flushed so that you can close the ashtray door and keep the EDFC in "stealth mode" I actually posted some pics of the install here in the forum, so if you can't find it, let me know and I'll look it up.

So in other words, the only "customizing" is cutting the plastic at the bottom of where the ashtray receptacle sits. If you, ghettoaww or anyone else have any additional questions/concerns about the matter, just send me a PM and I'll do my best to help you out.
Old 05-23-08, 06:41 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Thank guys. So the thing is, the installation place is worried that there may be wires under the ash tray after they dremel it out. He said I should take off the center console out myself if I want to save $50. How do I take out the whole ash tray (not the ash tray that has a button and pops out).

Also, how do you guys get the EDFC unit to face perfectly straight? if you used tape, where did you put tape at? On the side of the units or on the bottom of the edfc unit?
Old 05-23-08, 06:55 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

i would just go somewhere else if i were you...if your in or around l.a. county try

musicbox -tommy
948 Durfee Ave. #C
South El Monte, CA 91733
626-823-2853

Last edited by suicidesam; 05-23-08 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-23-08, 07:23 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by suicidesam
i would just go somewhere else if i were you...if your in or around l.a. county try

musicbox -tommy
948 Durfee Ave. #C
South El Monte, CA 91733
626-823-2853
why do I need to go somewhere else?
Old 05-23-08, 07:38 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed it in a different place.

I'll take pictures tonight... picture worth 10 thousand words.

The unit is not operational now, since the Tien CS have been sold.

And yes, that device adds 50+hp

Dont even ask! haha

Last edited by t0e; 05-27-08 at 03:37 AM.
Old 05-23-08, 07:46 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

why do I need to go somewhere else?
it seems like your installer is inexperienced in custom installs ...the only reason i recommended tommy at music box is that when i called and asked if he had ever installed the teas unit for the tanabes he said, "no, but that he has installed a lot of edfc units" plus he does custom audios so he has experience in custom installs.
Old 05-23-08, 09:30 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SMokey, how well do you know your friend working at Mach III? If you know him really well then you can do it and if they mess up, he'll replace it. If you don't know him personally then i recommend you somewhere else. My friends told me they scam.
Old 05-23-08, 09:45 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

I know them personally. But I am not installing my coilovers there anymore. I already scheduled appointment next week for installation. Still need some input with people who installed this already.
Old 05-24-08, 07:57 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

lol man i dont live in socal. i live in norcal.

btw t0e could you get me the picture yet?
Old 05-24-08, 12:23 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

lol man i dont live in socal. i live in norcal.
my bad, after i googled mach lll i figured you did...anyways good luck with the install!!

smokey i did a quick search and found these for you....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=edfc

Last edited by suicidesam; 05-24-08 at 12:33 PM. Reason: found pixs and link for the op
Old 05-24-08, 02:00 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

ya i found that already. i am planning to put it there but t0e said he found another place to put the edfc. i am waiting for his picture
Old 07-22-08, 07:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I ordered my tein cst with edfc today from a shop in town. They asked me to print out a copy of your set up so he can match the ash trash edfc install. Thanks alot for the help in posting those pics. You pioneered the ash tray edfc install for the 2IS and 3GS. I saw one member that had the box installed in the change slot to the left of the steering wheel. That looks pretty nice as well. I will see what the guy at the shop thinks

Quick Reply: Need help! People with edfc installed in ash tray