IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Did I mess up my car? (by making a Lucas additive cocktail in my oil pan)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-08, 08:01 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Both Lucas and Royal Purple are very good products. What you need to know is that the current Toyota/Lexus engines are very gentle on motor oil. There is no need for any additives unless you are experiencing isolated problems that can not be corrected by fixing to cause of this issue or you are using specialized aftermarket equipment, such as a bypass system (even then you may not need any additives). What you have to remember is that additives are chemicals and these chemicals are usually the first thing to break down in your oil and cause contamination. Do NOT use any additives unless it is recommended by a credited oil analyst (see bobistheoilguy.com). When using high quality group IV synthetic oil you should be able to run that oil for 1 year before changing. The exact life of the oil can be determined by having the oil analyzed periodically up to the full year. It has been proven that the factory fill/oil still provides safe protection with 10K miles on it, so a good synthetic should last even longer. I'm using Amsoil 0w-20 that currently has approx 10K miles on it and I will be sending it out for a Used Oil Analysis (UOA), shortly. I'm confident that I will be able to get approx 15K out of this oil. We will find out shortly.

Koz
Old 05-18-08, 06:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,850 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Post your UOA here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=288972

15k should be no big deal on any decent synthetic - even Mobil 1.

And yeah, don't put anything in your oil unless you've done a UOA and you know what you're trying to achieve with the additive. IOW, DON'T put crap in your oil.