IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Parking Light Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-08, 11:13 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by javyLSU
That's because people like you keep calling it the wrong name...

Javier
But were not talking about meeee~~~
Old 01-17-08, 11:27 PM
DVac3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^I've seen this picture posted several times, and whoever made it needs to correct it because the labels are wrong.

Here are the correct labels as detailed in the Lexus factory service manual:

This diagram clears up the whole "city light" debacle (there is no such thing) as well as clarifies which lights are really "parking lights," and "front side marker lights."

Javier
It looks like the manual is wrong. Judging by the pics of llamaboiz's white car he has his DRL on and they are on the left where as the diagram shows the highbeam on the right.
Old 01-17-08, 11:34 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Actsx3
It looks like the manual is wrong. Judging by the pics of llamaboiz's white car he has his DRL on and they are on the left where as the diagram shows the highbeam on the right.
HAHAHAHA!!! Read the diagram carefully. It depends if you have factory bi-xenon HID's or not.

I'll be sure to call Lexus and tell them that their diagram in the factory service manual is wrong...

Javier
Old 01-18-08, 06:46 AM
DVac3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
No color, just white AND me??? pics??? but of course

9005 LED 1watt from ebay, warden_jp2002
In this pic he has his DRL's on, look thats the left bulb, so therefor that can't be the parking light. Javy your diagram shows the Parking light on the left and the highbeam/ DRL on the right. Anyone else have an opinion on this?
Old 01-18-08, 07:22 AM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In this pic he has his DRL's on, look thats the left bulb, so therefor that can't be the parking light. Javy your diagram shows the Parking light on the left and the highbeam/ DRL on the right. Anyone else have an opinion on this?
This should clarify the confusion.

Wand is off position, DRL

One click up both parking and DRL on

One more click, DRL off, parking stays on and headlights turn on
Old 01-18-08, 07:22 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

On halogen-equipped cars, the DRL bulb is the same bulb as the high beam. On bi-xenon HID equipped cards, the DRL is the same bulb as it is on the non-HID cars, except that it doesn't function as a high beam. There's a gate that drops that allows the full output of light from the HID to exit from the housing, making it function as the high beam (hence why it's called a "bi-xenon" system.) The parking light is a completely separate, smaller bulb located above the aforementioned bulb. It doesn't serve any other function, and it's not called anything else. The diagram is correct - what may be confusing you is the angle of the diagram.

Javier
Old 01-18-08, 07:53 AM
DVac3
Pole Position

JAVY look at this pic, man you are slow. HE HAS THE DRL ON and its the slightly lower left bulb. YOUR DIAGRAM SHOWS THE DRL TO BE THE SLIGHTY UPPER RIGHT BULB. LOOK HIS DRL IS ON AND ITS THE LOWER RIGHT BULBBBBBBB. YOur Diagram shows the Parking light to be the lower right when it is the upper left
No color, just white AND me??? pics??? but of course

9005 LED 1watt from ebay, warden_jp2002
Old 01-18-08, 08:06 AM
DVac3
Pole Position

Again look at your diagram and see how it says parking light, how can it say parking light if this car has his DRL on and I am looking at, just look he has his drl on so.....

Last edited by DVac3; 01-18-08 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-18-08, 08:48 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,059 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

On halogen-equipped cars, the DRL bulb is the same bulb as the high beam. On bi-xenon HID equipped cards, the DRL is the same bulb as it is on the non-HID cars, except that it doesn't function as a high beam. There's a gate that drops that allows the full output of light from the HID to exit from the housing, making it function as the high beam (hence why it's called a "bi-xenon" system.) The parking light is a completely separate, smaller bulb located above the aforementioned bulb. It doesn't serve any other function, and it's not called anything else. The diagram is correct - what may be confusing you is the angle of the diagram.

Javier

Javy... I agree with everything in your post, except what I high lighted in red...

Fact:
The DRL buld DOES function as a HIGH BEAM as well on an HID Equipped ISx50.
The Bulb gets brighter just like the non-HID equipped Lexus's..

Joe Z
Old 01-18-08, 10:17 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Fact:

Joe Z
Yes, this is correct. Also due to the bi-xenon (lift the gate thingy) when turning on the hi-beam i have gone the LED route.
Old 01-18-08, 10:59 AM
xerxes717
Driver

Sorry I hate to ask again but does anyone have the answers to my 2 questions? Thanks.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
The parking lite (citylite) next to the drl, change it to vled 9smt white bulbs. Trust me on this, you will not regret it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by xerxes717
I'd like to do this also. In your opinion, are these a good match for the stock 4300k HIDs?
Also, where can I get these?

Thanks!

EDIT: Found these: http://frickinbrite.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=40_114&products_id=348
Are those the right ones?
Old 01-18-08, 11:04 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Yes you want the 9smt in white 194 bulb.
http://frickinbrite.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=348
Old 01-18-08, 12:13 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Again look at your diagram and see how it says parking light, how can it say parking light if this car has his DRL on and I am looking at, just look he has his drl on so.....
You've confused me and everyone else in this thread to the point where I don't think I can help you... I can't even comprehend what you're asking anymore. I find your calling me "slow" quite amusing, since you're the only one in this thread who can't distinguish the parking light from the DRL. From the angle in the Lexus diagram it's impossible to see the parking light, because it's recessed in the housing. I posted that diagram so we could clarify confusion over the proper name of the parking lights. I think we all agree where the parking light is, the only issue here is your interpretation of the diagram, which like I said before, is probably due to the angle the housing is shown.
Originally Posted by Joe Z
Javy... I agree with everything in your post, except what I high lighted in red...

Fact:

Joe Z
Yes, this is correct. Also due to the bi-xenon (lift the gate thingy) when turning on the hi-beam i have gone the LED route.
Right - the halogen bulb is an "additional" high-beam on HID-equipped cars, whereas it's the primary high-beam on halogen-equipped models.

Javier
Old 01-18-08, 12:29 PM
xerxes717
Driver

@LLama - thanks for confirming.

@Javy - Actsx3 has a point. You have to admit, the labeling on the diagram in the service manual is pretty poor and easily misleading, some might say downright wrong. You're right, we all agree about the location of the lights. The name however, has always been an issue.

@Actsx3 - Javy agrees with the rest of us about the location of the light, he was merely pointing out the name. Yes the diagram is awful and easily confusing.
Old 01-18-08, 12:53 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The pictures above are all correct and the correct LED for the parking lights(city lights)

Theres a lighting thread that has all this information. Its very helpful and i believe i know the diagrams without looking at the pictures. Go outside and check out your car and you will know the difference from the DRL and the parking light.

Quick Reply: Parking Light Question