IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Was gonna buy a IS250RWD till I drove it....

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-08, 06:51 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

350 owners get depressed too. I seen a few threads lately of 350 owners complaining about gas mileage and one even wanting to lemon his car for poor gas mileage.

The IS250 is a cruiser, its no speed demon. Gotta accept that, if you bought the IS250 for speed then you bought the wrong car.
Old 01-10-08, 07:44 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree Joeb427. I bought the 250 because of the AWD dealing with Chicago winters. I have to say, it comes in very handy with the bad snow we have had the past two months. I takes a little getting use to the power draw of AWD coming from the Gen 1 IS, but after I changed my rims to a lighter alloy, the car has a little better pick-up compared to the 25 pound OEM wheel. The leather in the 250 is the same as the 350. It is Semi Annaline Leather: this process givest the leather a smoother look and a softer feeling than most processes. The 350 is a great power vehicle and if I lived in a non snow belt region, I would consider it. For now, I love my AWD Lexus. The only way I could drive in the winter with the first gen wass with Continental Extreme Contacts. I will get these tires again when my factory Dunlops wear out. Has anyone put these on an AWD model yet? I am curious their opinion.
Old 01-10-08, 08:04 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

I went to the car show and felt leather (pervy ) and the Lexus leather is of a much higher grade than Infiniti, although the Q45 was nice quality. Nicest was the VW Pheaton which was amazing....look what good that did for it.
Old 01-10-08, 08:30 AM
truoutkast
Pole Position

i thought G35 is alot more crowded inside . Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the back seat of the G35 is alot smaller than the IS?

Old 01-10-08, 08:36 AM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by meefer
It's all about perception for most of those things. Power, space, style are all subjective.

I can understand all the complaints except for the leather, I am not sure what you're comparing it to. I have never thought my leather was cheap in any way. Nor have any of my passengers. It is VERY soft though. Most Euro cars have a much stiffer leather, something I didn't really enjoy when I was car shopping.

As for the other things:

Power: This is my commuter car, power's not really an issue when all you can do is a steady 70-75 mph cruise 90% of the time.

Space: I think I have had people in the backseat.....3 times. I kind of enjoy the "intimacy" of the cockpit. Feels like it's meant to be driven, not ridden.

Style: This is what dropped the hammer for me over the g35, which I cross-shopped pretty hard (top 5 in this segment for sure). The g35 was a left-brain orgy of technical superiority but the Lexus pushed the right brain's buttons JUST right to the point where I didn't care about the other stuff.
I soo agree with this...the is250 lack power but its a daily driver for me soo it really dont matter. When i was shopping for cars last year for a daily driver i looked at BMW 3 series and the G35 coupe and sedan. The G does have more power but the inside lacked luxury. Even with full upgrades in the g-35 it did not compare to the is250...i was sold on the 250 when i felt how good the seat and leather felt i can sleep in it all day long. So i hope you enjoy your g-35. :P everyone rate things differently
Old 01-10-08, 08:40 AM
insider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by happypanda
man. the thing has no room...it lacks power...leather felt sorta cheap...i wanted a black on black is250 rwd and it didnt impress me at all..it was dead..but i gotta give it the handling..that thing hugs corners at like 60+mph..but got a g35 sedan journey instead. not trolling but i was over hyped by the reviews and i was really disappointed leaving the dealership

I know you guys love your car and I'm not here to bash or troll. Trust me. I just wonder if any of you guys feel the same. Still is a hot and sexy car. Just thought it would offer more for the price tag.
That's funny because when I drove the IS, the handling was one of the things I liked least. Lot's of lean around the turns and no feel. Felt like an old Cadillac. Maybe it's because I drove the BMW right before?
Old 01-10-08, 09:01 AM
DVac3
Pole Position

The IS is so sexy and I can not wait for my 250. I live in NY so once I put on my 19's and the Eibach pro kit and maybe a front lip in the future I will be driving 20mph everywhere anyway. I bought my IS for the looks not the speed. Like someone said, this car does everything but wipe your ***.
Old 01-10-08, 09:14 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by insider
That's funny because when I drove the IS, the handling was one of the things I liked least. Lot's of lean around the turns and no feel. Felt like an old Cadillac. Maybe it's because I drove the BMW right before?
That's why the 250 is one of the best handling sedans on the market, ever! It ACTUALLY (not feels) handles better then the 335!

Koz
Old 01-10-08, 09:44 AM
insider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Koz
That's why the 250 is one of the best handling sedans on the market, ever! It ACTUALLY (not feels) handles better then the 335!

Koz
Old 01-10-08, 09:57 AM
LexusTexas
Rookie

The IS is a Lexus, the g35 is a hopped up Nissan. With that mess of traffic in Orlando, are you in a hurry to get to the next backup? True, the 250 will never push you back in the finely leathered seats, but I've never been left behind in my everyday stoplight warfare driving.
Old 01-10-08, 10:22 AM
DrShoe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by insider
According to this article, the IS250 with X-package actually handles better than both the IS350 and 335i. Not sure about the best handling sedan ever part though...

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..2.*
Old 01-10-08, 10:27 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DrShoe
According to this article, the IS250 with X-package actually handles better than both the IS350 and 335i. Not sure about the best handling sedan ever part though...

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..2.*
"One of the best"

Koz
Old 01-10-08, 10:44 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drunkebuda
I soo agree with this...the is250 lack power but its a daily driver for me soo it really dont matter. When i was shopping for cars last year for a daily driver i looked at BMW 3 series and the G35 coupe and sedan. The G does have more power but the inside lacked luxury. Even with full upgrades in the g-35 it did not compare to the is250...i was sold on the 250 when i felt how good the seat and leather felt i can sleep in it all day long. So i hope you enjoy your g-35. :P everyone rate things differently
I agree with the daily driver issue also. My last car was an Acura RSX type S.
That car was great. I wanted to get another Acura, but I fellt like I was always in a race. The Lexus was a nice break from that. Not a very powerful machine, but very well appointed. Just after got my IS, I saw a G35 S ...I thought that was a nice car also...It really is a great time to be in the market for a car. There are enough options for everyone.
Old 01-10-08, 10:56 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
350 owners get depressed too. I seen a few threads lately of 350 owners complaining about gas mileage
Now how did i know that was comming we tease you about power and you tease us about mileage For me in hawaii its ALL city driving, even our hwys can be considered city driving to mainland hwys...

Dont make me have to bust out how FREEZING i am in this high 70's weather we've been having lately
Old 01-10-08, 03:06 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Now how did i know that was comming we tease you about power and you tease us about mileage For me in hawaii its ALL city driving, even our hwys can be considered city driving to mainland hwys...

Dont make me have to bust out how FREEZING i am in this high 70's weather we've been having lately
Hey don't make me start busting out that snowboarding is only a few hours away........

Quick Reply: Was gonna buy a IS250RWD till I drove it....