IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Was gonna buy a IS250RWD till I drove it....

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-08, 12:22 AM
happypanda
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was gonna buy a IS250RWD till I drove it....

man. the thing has no room...it lacks power...leather felt sorta cheap...i wanted a black on black is250 rwd and it didnt impress me at all..it was dead..but i gotta give it the handling..that thing hugs corners at like 60+mph..but got a g35 sedan journey instead. not trolling but i was over hyped by the reviews and i was really disappointed leaving the dealership

I know you guys love your car and I'm not here to bash or troll. Trust me. I just wonder if any of you guys feel the same. Still is a hot and sexy car. Just thought it would offer more for the price tag.
Old 01-10-08, 12:24 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Haha here comes another, 250 owner depression thread
Old 01-10-08, 12:27 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

-.- thanks judd. ur so kind. haha. but i'll agree under powered, but idk about the rest. i have blk/blk and in no way does it feel cheap. my car is fully detailed so i made the interior dash super dark w/o making it oily shiney (chemical guys shineX btw ) and i love my leather so idk.
Old 01-10-08, 12:33 AM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah it definitely under powered... but least ur rolling in style right. lol

why not go with a is350 then?
Old 01-10-08, 12:33 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried my friends 250 and yeah it made me depressed. Sorry 250 guys.
Old 01-10-08, 12:37 AM
happypanda
Lead Lap

well i didnt get a chance to test drive a is350 but i figured it would give mea smile and prolly live up to its hype. i guess every 250 owner feels the same way huh? it was just too compact for me since i was expecting it to have atleaest decent size room. but i guess if its a 350, then its all about performance and etc, family fitment, and comfortability goes out the window hah...but yea..is250 was a big disappointment =/
Old 01-10-08, 12:49 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know what kind of leather that 250 had, but my 350 got the best F***in leather in the world!
Old 01-10-08, 12:58 AM
LexyIS350
Driver

I have to agree it does feel cramp inside especially with four people. But I hardly ever drive anyone except for my wife. And I also have to agree when I got a chance to drive the 250 at the Lexus driving event it was underpower. However I disagree with the leather feeling cheap or sorta cheap. I sat in my parent's bimmer and that leather feels cheap almost fake.
Well at least you got the G35, a great car with room and power for a good value. How come you didn't decide on the Sport version?
Old 01-10-08, 01:15 AM
meefer
Lead Lap

It's all about perception for most of those things. Power, space, style are all subjective.

I can understand all the complaints except for the leather, I am not sure what you're comparing it to. I have never thought my leather was cheap in any way. Nor have any of my passengers. It is VERY soft though. Most Euro cars have a much stiffer leather, something I didn't really enjoy when I was car shopping.

As for the other things:

Power: This is my commuter car, power's not really an issue when all you can do is a steady 70-75 mph cruise 90% of the time.

Space: I think I have had people in the backseat.....3 times. I kind of enjoy the "intimacy" of the cockpit. Feels like it's meant to be driven, not ridden.

Style: This is what dropped the hammer for me over the g35, which I cross-shopped pretty hard (top 5 in this segment for sure). The g35 was a left-brain orgy of technical superiority but the Lexus pushed the right brain's buttons JUST right to the point where I didn't care about the other stuff.
Old 01-10-08, 02:43 AM
4U2eNv_8o8
Lexus Test Driver

I agree also. The IS250 isn't something you would consider as a big roomy car in any way. The car is a commuter and it really isn't worth for racing or trying to be any better then the next guy. I also think it really depends on the person you are. Some people will love it more then others, but thats basically normal as far as I know.

For me.....all I really wanted out of the car was the features, looks, and gas mileage. And Lexus seems to be known as a high class car here. So if your driving around in a Lexus you will turn heads and people will envy you.
Old 01-10-08, 02:45 AM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by happypanda
man. the thing has no room...it lacks power...leather felt sorta cheap...i wanted a black on black is250 rwd and it didnt impress me at all..it was dead..but i gotta give it the handling..that thing hugs corners at like 60+mph..but got a g35 sedan journey instead. not trolling but i was over hyped by the reviews and i was really disappointed leaving the dealership

I know you guys love your car and I'm not here to bash or troll. Trust me. I just wonder if any of you guys feel the same. Still is a hot and sexy car. Just thought it would offer more for the price tag.
Have you checked out BMW leather? I recon if you can't tell what luxury leather is, then there is no point in discussing anything further.
Old 01-10-08, 04:10 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by happypanda

The leather felt "cheap"? I went to the Philly auto show last year before I purchased, and compared the leather to every other competitor--IMO, hands down, the Lexus was the nicest, softest leather. Better than cars 2x the price.
Old 01-10-08, 05:33 AM
fritZman
Driver School Candidate

Man, comparing the is250 to a G35 sedan is not exactly the same market segment regarding powertrain. The is350 would be a better measuring stick.

You're right about the interior room, but like the others have mentioned it's not meant to be a roomy family hauler. In fact, when shopping I explicitly skipped the G35 sedan because I felt it was too big. I also didn't care for the quality and aesthetics compared to the is350.

As for the Lexus leather, hands down it's the nicest leather I've seen in a long time.

The G35 will suit lots of drivers looking for room, decent power and price.

The Lexus is definitely more of an intimate experience and caters more towards luxury.
Old 01-10-08, 05:49 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The 250 is NOT underpowered, it is averaged powered. It is very close, in power, to the IS300. Lexus knows their market, that's why the 250 sells two to one over the 350. If you need more power, that's why there is the 350. It's not fair to put the 250 down. The 250 is a GREAT car for what it was intended.

Koz
Old 01-10-08, 06:09 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

No doubt the 250 can use at least another 25 ponies but I can deal with it.I'm a AWD lover.
I like the smallish quality sporty interior and the guy is nuts with his review of the leather.
He should feel some BMW leather.With BMW you're better off getting the leatherette.It would wear better and feel and look the same as BMW leather.

Last edited by Joeb427; 01-10-08 at 06:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Was gonna buy a IS250RWD till I drove it....