IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Converting DRL/Highbeam using HID KIT

Old 11-08-07, 01:01 AM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking of the same thing for my high beams. I didn't know about the flickering for the DRLs. I'm going to ask the MTEC vendor about that. It's not to blind people. It's a high beam, for goodness sake. You're only supposed to use it when there isn't anyone around and it's pitch black. The minute you see any sort of indication that there's an oncoming car, you turn them off. I never use them for city/suburban driving.
Old 11-08-07, 01:04 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HAHAHAHAHA go ahead and flame on. It's not new for you llamboiz. You flame everyone of my threads. Get over it. I like HIDs for everything. It's not your car so don't worry about it. In the daytime the DRLs are off. I only use highbeam cause of the fog in the city. And for the people who aren't paying attention on the road. Good for those who have other bulbs as their DRL/High beams.

Btw, mr llamboiz DRL and highbeams are the same bulb. So if i change one the highbeam, it would change the DRL too. HAHA guess you didn't know what.And plus the DRL runs at low wattage so it won't blind nobody.

Last edited by 2slow; 11-08-07 at 01:18 AM.
Old 11-08-07, 01:01 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default screw the lock off?

to replace the drl .,...do i need to unscrew that screw bye the lock or will it latch off ???
Old 11-08-07, 05:00 PM
Tmirk
Pole Position

Ummm. You do realize that unless you had your DRL turned off by the dealer, that your HID isnt even turning on as a DRL, only as a high beam. If they did happen to light for DRL use, they would indeed flicker. But obvisouly they aren't even getting enough juice to even do that.

Of course your high beam will not flicker when you turn them on. When your high beam is on it gets full voltage. It is during normal driving that the DRL runs at %50 power. Whether this 50% power to the ballast all the time will limit your ballast lifetime I wouldn't have a guess.

And word of advice..... using high beams in the fog is the worst thing you can possibly do for your own visibility. The light will reflect off the fog and blind you. Truly test it out in some dense fog sometime, you'll see what I mean.
Old 11-08-07, 06:57 PM
neova
Pole Position

couple comments

1) Highbeam light housing is reflective, not a projector like the lowbeams. Your highbeams HID will glare and blind people

2) HID's need FULL 35w and CONSTANT power to keep the lights lit up. Flickering is due to inconsistent power or also could be due to poor grounding of the HID ballast. Since the DRL is just the highbeams on half power, you will never be able to have "bright white" HIDs as your DRL. I know you've already turned off your DRL, but just wanted to point this out anyways.

3) For those with Factory HID (which is your case), it's bi-xenon already, so no need to get HID's for your highbeams. However, HID's are not very good for "flashing" or DRL, thus Lexus included an extra set of 9005 halogen lights for that purpose. You've now just lost that functionality (both DRL and Flash). You might be able to use your 9005 HID to flash, but this will shorten the life of the HID bulbs.

Cheers
Old 11-08-07, 07:06 PM
neova
Pole Position

Originally Posted by igofast
I only use highbeam cause of the fog in the city.
Have you ever tried to use highbeams during fog or heavy rain, especially during nightime? You won't be able to see a single thing because the highbeams are aimed too high and it actually reflects the light off the fog/rain back towards you, thus blinding yourself.

To see thru fog, you need to point the lights downwards, which is what your fogs lights were designed for.

Since you already have HID fogs, you've got that situation well covered. The only improvement you can make is to use 3000K (yellow) HID bulbs for your HID fogs, since yellow light cuts thru fog much better then white/blue lights.

Your 9005 HID highbeams won't help your cause, so I would just return it and use the money on something else.

Cheers
Old 11-08-07, 07:20 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

I live in San Francisco. I think i know what fog looks like. I don't need you to tell me how to handle fog. LOL. Lets just end it here. I have HIDs for my headlights, foglights and highbeams. If you don't like it, don't get it. If you do, then GREAT!

Btw, Dealer didn't turn off my DRL, i did.

Cheers.. haha
Old 11-08-07, 10:17 PM
GordoNx3o9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by neova
Have you ever tried to use highbeams during fog or heavy rain, especially during nightime? You won't be able to see a single thing because the highbeams are aimed too high and it actually reflects the light off the fog/rain back towards you, thus blinding yourself.

To see thru fog, you need to point the lights downwards, which is what your fogs lights were designed for.

Since you already have HID fogs, you've got that situation well covered. The only improvement you can make is to use 3000K (yellow) HID bulbs for your HID fogs, since yellow light cuts thru fog much better then white/blue lights.

Your 9005 HID highbeams won't help your cause, so I would just return it and use the money on something else.

Cheers
Well said ... except for the part "return it for money". He wants to waste his money on HID just for high beam that does no benefit to anyone on the road including himself. Let him be.
Old 11-08-07, 10:30 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GordoNx3o9
Well said ... except for the part "return it for money". He wants to waste his money on HID just for high beam that does no benefit to anyone on the road including himself. Let him be.
Well said, Let me be. I Like having HID so why do you guys care so much? I'm not talking about your LED DRLs.

Cheers...HAHAHA Who says that?
Old 11-09-07, 02:08 AM
Tchan1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

well i guess he has no clue about lighting since he has 8000k low beams, 8000k fogs and 7500k high beams. Might as well drive in the dark. The higher you go the more visibility you lose. Unless he just likes the color of his lights and don't mind the dark.
Old 11-09-07, 04:07 AM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But still, atleast they're HIDs not halogens, that would've been a lot worse. To tell you the truth, 8000k wasn't bad. It was still bright as hell.
These were when I still had 8000k in the fogs but now I have 6000 cuz I wanted it to match.

w/o fogs

w/ fogs
Old 11-09-07, 07:30 AM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Originally Posted by igofast
Well said, Let me be. I Like having HID so why do you guys care so much? I'm not talking about your LED DRLs.

Cheers...HAHAHA Who says that?
Me, Old Oiler. You do what makes you happy, that's all that matters.

And, BTW, Cheers!

Old Oiler
Old 11-09-07, 01:08 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Old Oiler
Me, Old Oiler. You do what makes you happy, that's all that matters.

And, BTW, Cheers!

Old Oiler
Well said! Whatever makes you happy.
Old 11-10-07, 01:30 PM
Omega99
Driver School Candidate

LOL!!
Old 12-03-07, 01:07 AM
this1b0y
Lead Lap

wow... how can some1 argue about such a small thing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Converting DRL/Highbeam using HID KIT