IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-07, 01:29 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default tire pressure

I checked my pressure factory set it at about 36-38 PSI.. (cold)

is anyone running more than this?
Old 08-01-07, 05:50 PM
dspIS250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would keep it the same as it was set at the factory. i haven't checked my pressure so i don't know exactly what mine is set at.
Old 08-01-07, 05:55 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

I checked my car after taking delivery and it was 35 on all 4 tires. Even though the rear is suppose to be 37 or 38, I just kept them all the same since there is nitrogen in it.
Old 08-01-07, 08:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,853 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Originally Posted by Stock4AG
I checked my pressure factory set it at about 36-38 PSI.. (cold)

is anyone running more than this?
Yeah, I run 37 front and 39 rear. A little more than factory. It works for me. i have 33k on my RE050s and they've still got a few k left in them.

BTW, the factory didn't set the air pressure. Your dealer did. And the nitrogen thing is so overrated. Whole air is already 78% nitrogen. What you really want removed is the water. Humidity in the tire will upset things more than anything else.
Old 08-01-07, 09:26 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Lobuxracer thanks for coming thru, my tires have 3 PSI variance amongst them with a needle style gauge.

How do you know the dealer sets the pressure, or do you mean they check and make sure when it's in the lot before selling to you?

I also wanted to see if I can safely run a bit more pressure since the pot holes here are really bad.

I like the nitrogen idea ... but still got to maintain the car instead of avoiding it! a little regular air mixed it won't hurt anything.

Last edited by SC3coupe; 08-01-07 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-01-07, 09:40 PM
95gs300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know most cars are supposed to have around 32 psi Im not sure bout the is
Old 08-01-07, 09:58 PM
dspIS250
Pole Position

^ yeah, i run 32 psi in the tires of my other cars, but on the is i'm just leaving it the way it came.
Old 08-02-07, 04:03 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,853 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Lobuxracer thanks for coming thru, my tires have 3 PSI variance amongst them with a needle style gauge.

How do you know the dealer sets the pressure, or do you mean they check and make sure when it's in the lot before selling to you?

I also wanted to see if I can safely run a bit more pressure since the pot holes here are really bad.

I like the nitrogen idea ... but still got to maintain the car instead of avoiding it! a little regular air mixed it won't hurt anything.
Setting tire pressure is part of the PDI. If you get the car and they haven't checked and adjusted the tire pressure, they've failed an important step in the pre-delivery process.

I run higher pressures because I spend a lot of time over 70 mph. An awful lot. It helps with tread life and handling. The factory recommended pressure is for the average driver under average conditions. If you are not that guy, you need to experiment a bit with pressures to get the best combination of tire wear and handling to suit your preferences and your wallet.
Old 08-02-07, 04:15 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I put 40psi on all 4 tires after my TPMS went off one morning.

I was pissed when it went off because it was 5am in the morning I had to drive back to OC from Riverside. I stopped at a local gas station (still dark out). Visuablly checked all the tires, they all seemed fine. So I start pumping air. So I put 40psi in all 4 tires because I didnt know which one was low.

When this happend I was kind of disappointed in my IS. Because I barely had 3k miles on it and already warning lights came on. My previous car which was an Integra had for 8 yrs drove nearly 200k miles not a single engine check, etc. I just want my Lexus to be the same. I just wish there was a way to disable the TPMS for good. I would of done that the first time I got my car.
Old 08-02-07, 04:57 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
When this happend I was kind of disappointed in my IS. Because I barely had 3k miles on it and already warning lights came on. My previous car which was an Integra had for 8 yrs drove nearly 200k miles not a single engine check, etc. I just want my Lexus to be the same. I just wish there was a way to disable the TPMS for good. I would of done that the first time I got my car.
Yea but things are different than they were 10 years ago... Now a days cars will give you a warning if youre falling asleep (LS600) or when youve left your moonroof open, or even when to change your oil. It just comes with the time.
Old 08-02-07, 05:01 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
I put 40psi on all 4 tires after my TPMS went off one morning.

I was pissed when it went off because it was 5am in the morning I had to drive back to OC from Riverside. I stopped at a local gas station (still dark out). Visuablly checked all the tires, they all seemed fine. So I start pumping air. So I put 40psi in all 4 tires because I didnt know which one was low.

Let me make sure I understand you. You got pissed at your car because it let you know you had low air pressure in one of your tires, so rather than checkng the pressures and filling them to spec, you "punished" your car by gassing up the tires to 40 psi.

I assume that if you put 40 psi in the tires, you had a tool to measure air pressure. Tip: That same tool could have been used to find out which tire was low.

The light coming on for TPMS doesn't mean there's anything defective on your car...it was doing its job. Just to be clear, disabling TPMS will not keep your tires from ever becoming low on air...it will just keep you ignorant of the problem.

Last edited by 15951; 08-02-07 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-02-07, 05:45 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 15951
Let me make sure I understand you. You got pissed at your car because it let you know you had low air pressure in one of your tires, so rather than checkng the pressures and filling them to spec, you "punished" your car by gassing up the tires to 40 psi.

I assume that if you put 40 psi in the tires, you had a tool to measure air pressure. Tip: That same tool could have been used to find out which tire was low.

The light coming on for TPMS doesn't mean there's anything defective on your car...it was doing its job. Just to be clear, disabling TPMS will not keep your tires from ever becoming low on air...it will just keep you ignorant of the problem.
I was pissed bacause visually the tires didnt seem low. Also I had a 1.5 hr drive to work that day and I didnt have the time to check every single tire in the dark at 5am. The TPMS should at least let you know what tire is low. Also I hate the fact that I TPMS cannot be disabled, I would pay the dealer to remove it in fact if it were an option.

I guess it was just a bad morning for me.

Last edited by gsrthomas; 08-02-07 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-03-07, 06:43 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would run less pressure if I lived in an area with a lot of potholes. Running more pressure will just beat you and the car up more.
Old 08-03-07, 07:05 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 256 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by 95gs300
I know most cars are supposed to have around 32 psi Im not sure bout the is
The correct inflation pressures are labeled somewhere on each car, usually on either the driver's door jamb or the inside of the gas filler door. Lexus puts them on the driver's jamb.

32psi is too low for the IS; I believe the recommended pressures are 35F/37R.
Old 08-03-07, 07:11 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 256 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
I would run less pressure if I lived in an area with a lot of potholes. Running more pressure will just beat you and the car up more.
If you lower the pressure in an area with lots of potholes, you increase the chance of bending your rims. I speak from experience (not on the Lexus, fortunately).

Quick Reply: tire pressure