IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Manual vs. Auto Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-07, 04:16 PM
0range
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Manual vs. Auto Transmission

So after speaking with the Lexus sales guys and a bunch of other Lexus owners regarding the IS250 transmission, it seems that the following is essentially true:

1) Automatic transmission is as fast, or faster, than the manual (all else being equal)
2) Automatic transmission is as good, or better, fuel economy than the manual

I always thought that traditionally, manual transmissions were faster & better on fuel economy!! So if that's no longer the case, then what is the advantage of getting the stick shift anymore? Just for the fun factor?

Heck, is there even any cost savings when you get the manual transmission IS250?
Old 06-10-07, 04:22 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unfortunately, the manual tranny for the IS250 was not designed/engineered as well as the auto tranny. Lexus is well known for their smooth efficient auto trannies, and the only manual tranny on the Lexus line-up did not get the R&D it deserves/needs.

As for your question, people have gotten the manual tranny for fun and control. You can push the car more with the manual tranny, and some people are willing to use it just for more control.

As far as cost savings, you do save some $$. However, resale values for the manual tranny is worse than the automatic, because of lower demand and gas efficiency. Ease of use and gas consumption trumps the control factor...
Old 06-10-07, 05:17 PM
Koofteh
Pole Position

I'm not too sure that the manual tranny for the IS is slower or just as fast the auto tranny. The autobox in our cars is one of the slowest I've seen on a new car so the 6MT just has to be better.
Old 06-10-07, 06:05 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

seeing how fast my car shifted on the track, it is definately faster than I couldve shifted in a manual. I had a 2000 prelude 5spd before this, which was an already smooth and quick transmission. Auto transmissions in the industry are better shift speed, throttle blip, consistency wise than manuals nowadays

manual transmission in the IS is a bad comparison vs the auto, its notchy and unsmooth, gearing is bad which is why it makes considerable less mpg
Old 06-10-07, 06:06 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are looking for someting fast go with the Is350. Manual vs. auto who cares there both slow as molasses
Old 06-10-07, 06:19 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 0range
... So if that's no longer the case, then what is the advantage of getting the stick shift anymore? Just for the fun factor?
BINGO. I hear a lot of people saying that they wish they had a manual transmission for the "performance" aspect that it offers... The fact of the matter is that performance-wise, the automatic transmission wins every time. There are virtually no cars that, identically equipped, are faster in manual transmission form than in auto. In fact, most of your ultra-performance supercars don't even offer manual transmissions as an option anymore - it's purely an enthusiast "fun" preference.

Javier
Old 06-10-07, 06:29 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea my IS is automatic, but i wanted a paddle shift auto so when i drive around i can pretend im racing a F1 car
Old 06-11-07, 07:29 AM
sailing217
Pole Position

Don't ever listen to a salesman. Drive it youself. If you want smooth shifting that you, and your girl can drive, then Auto. If you want control, some jerk and chirp the wheels in 2nd gear, then get the stick.

MPG---don't worry about it. I have 32k on my MT IS and still over 30mpg lifetime. I pull 36mpg on the highway at 70mph every day. A auto tranny would probably be the same if driven the same. Add 100 horses like the 350 and MPG may be some consideration.

Get a 350 is the best choice. The manual tranny is crap, and the auto 250 is void of any performance.
Old 06-11-07, 07:59 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by javyLSU
BINGO. I hear a lot of people saying that they wish they had a manual transmission for the "performance" aspect that it offers... The fact of the matter is that performance-wise, the automatic transmission wins every time. There are virtually no cars that, identically equipped, are faster in manual transmission form than in auto. In fact, most of your ultra-performance supercars don't even offer manual transmissions as an option anymore - it's purely an enthusiast "fun" preference.

Javier
Well maybe not for top speed, but my last car was a 2003 honda accord coupe 4cyl 5 speed manual and my friend had the exact same one, but instead was a different color and an auto. He could never even come close to touching me off the line. However at top speeds and anything once we were in 5th gear, we were the same. So while the trans didnt matter for top speeds, your take off in some cars can be a great deal better. And for your average "take off at light and go" street racing with some guy next to you, I think that might be a great advantage.

I will say this though. My friend and I sold our cars at the same time too with about the same mileage except mine was much better taken care of and he got about 2k more for his and it sold within a month while it took me about 4. And yes, some kid bought it. Manual trans means lower resale, hence why I went with an auto this time.
Old 06-11-07, 08:09 AM
BucBaby
Pole Position

We just ordered an IS250 with M/T. We bought it after seeing and driving a 2006 with 11,700 miles on it. We tried to deal on the used one, but couldn't get them to go below 29,900 (they said they took it as a trade in, and with new wheel and warranty - they have this warranty for life on the power train - they had 29,500 in it already). They sited how "rare" it was and that it was a special car that would be gone before you knew it.

It's still there after a month, and I'm not sure how long it was there before we saw it.

On the other hand, I searched Florida and Georgia and couldn't find another M/T for sale. We ended up ordering the same car new for 500 dollars more (we added navi at invoice price too).

My DH LOVES M/T. I like it, but like to be lazy and let the car do the work sometimes. I hope the M/T was a good choice for him. Please tell me it's as fun to drive after awhile as it was in the test drive.
Old 06-11-07, 08:18 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

IS 6mt can pull 0-60 in 7.1 seconds. I think this is faster than the auto.
http://www.caranddriver.com/shortroa...xus-is250.html
Old 06-11-07, 08:20 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ben_r_
Well maybe not for top speed, but my last car was a 2003 honda accord coupe 4cyl 5 speed manual and my friend had the exact same one, but instead was a different color and an auto. He could never even come close to touching me off the line. However at top speeds and anything once we were in 5th gear, we were the same. So while the trans didnt matter for top speeds, your take off in some cars can be a great deal better. And for your average "take off at light and go" street racing with some guy next to you, I think that might be a great advantage.

I will say this though. My friend and I sold our cars at the same time too with about the same mileage except mine was much better taken care of and he got about 2k more for his and it sold within a month while it took me about 4. And yes, some kid bought it. Manual trans means lower resale, hence why I went with an auto this time.
LOL... I was referring to vehicles that strive for any kind performance, not grocery-getting people movers with 4-speed gearboxes... (i.e. Honda Accords)

Javier
Old 06-11-07, 08:30 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

With a stick, attaining the performance that the vehicle is capable of is highly dependent on driver skill. In an auto, anyone can shove their right foot to the floor.

To me, a manual transmission is more about driver involvement and control than it is about performance and economy. It part of the reason that the first generation Miata was such a hoot to drive, despite its mediocre performance stats.
Old 06-11-07, 08:47 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bichon
With a stick, attaining the performance that the vehicle is capable of is highly dependent on driver skill. In an auto, anyone can shove their right foot to the floor.

To me, a manual transmission is more about driver involvement and control than it is about performance and economy. It part of the reason that the first generation Miata was such a hoot to drive, despite its mediocre performance stats.
I completely agree. I find that I have more fun in my Non-turbo MT 3000GT(222HP)... than I do in my IS350.

The AT may be faster in a drag race, but thats where the advantage ends. Especially in the IS. The engine braking is hard to predict. And the gear that you will be in accelerating out of the turn may not be what you want.

If you could turn off the engine braking, and make the paddle shifters do what you want... it wouldnt be a problem
Old 06-11-07, 09:56 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon

totally agree!

Quick Reply: Manual vs. Auto Transmission