IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Question on AIRBAG ON/OFF light.

Old 06-02-07, 11:13 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Question on AIRBAG ON/OFF light.

Everytime that i have a passenger in the car "Airbag ON" appears next to the passenger seatbelt warning light on the right side of the clock in the center console. At times while driving though during the ride, i would look down and see the "Airbag ON" turn to "Airbag off"

I tried to trace the steps to see if i or the passenger did anything like maybe press a button by accident when i see airbag off but nothing out of the ordinary. This is sporadic by the way... or maybe all the time and i just don't notice it as often.

Something wrong with my car?

Am i the only one that noticed this since there hasn't been a thread up on it?

any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-03-07, 07:22 AM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I notice the same thing, not sure what it's doing unless it uses some sort of "fuzzy logic" along with the sensor in the passenger seat.

Old Oiler
Old 06-03-07, 07:36 AM
taylorjste
Pole Position

hmmm.. i guess this was a new feature added on the 07 IS.. i dont think my 06 has an airbag light..
Old 06-03-07, 07:41 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

I believe the airbag light turns on based on pressure on the seat. Maybe the passenger shifted their weight in the seat.
Old 06-03-07, 08:29 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

hmmm.. i guess this was a new feature added on the 07 IS.. i dont think my 06 has an airbag light..
It must be... i have the 07... if you have the 06 it must be one of the subtle changes lexus makes from time to time

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
I believe the airbag light turns on based on pressure on the seat. Maybe the passenger shifted their weight in the seat.
well when there aren't any passengers in the car i believe the airbag on and airbag off lights are both off..... as well as the seatbelt warning light for the passenger.

but i could try and ask my next passenger to shift their weight here and there to test this theory but the sensors still know that there is a passenger due to the fact that when there isn't one all of the lights are off....therefore this would lead into a safety issue...whether they shifted their weight or not there presence in the car should leave the airbag on shouldn't it? would hate to know that IF i did get in an accident during one of the sporadic times that the airbag decides to swtich to off....my passenger would not be safe...
Old 06-03-07, 05:31 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

My Airbag light went on after an audio install.

Had to have the CEL light turned off with a special tool.

Get it checked to see which air bag is unpluged.
Old 06-03-07, 06:21 PM
BottomsUp
Lead Lap

it senses the person's position in the seat and disables the airbag. Lean up on one butt cheek and turn to the side...it will switch to off.
Old 06-03-07, 09:46 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it depends on your passenger's weight. Haven't noticed it yet to my IS but in my wife's RX when an adult is seated next to me the warning says "airbag on" but the warning says "airbag off" when my then 70 lb son was in the front. If I don't have a passenger there is no airbag warning. The airbag is off if you have a front passenger weighing less than 80 lbs. My son is 85lbs now and the warning is "on".
Old 06-04-07, 12:14 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

it senses the person's position in the seat and disables the airbag. Lean up on one butt cheek and turn to the side...it will switch to off.
i'll try that...

I think it depends on your passenger's weight. Haven't noticed it yet to my IS but in my wife's RX when an adult is seated next to me the warning says "airbag on" but the warning says "airbag off" when my then 70 lb son was in the front. If I don't have a passenger there is no airbag warning. The airbag is off if you have a front passenger weighing less than 80 lbs. My son is 85lbs now and the warning is "on".
well my passengers are definately more than 80 pounds... my friend's 160 and it still happened he was sitting normal and it went off...

the other night a lady friend did shift her weight towards me a little so maybe that's what set it off that time...

oh well, as long as there's nothing wrong with my car and other people notice the same thing in their lexus' than i'm not too worried about it anymore...

problem solved thanks. i do appreciate it
Old 06-04-07, 12:37 AM
hihi410
Lead Lap

Not sure about 06, but in the 07 ISx50, the passenger airbag will turn on if it detects passenger.
Old 06-04-07, 02:27 AM
A.C Milan
Lead Lap

what do you mean by the AirbagON/OFF light?
when i have a passenger with me the little red guy with the seatbelt on keeps flashing. that's it.
Old 06-04-07, 07:55 AM
SonnyIs350
Pole Position

I will have to check that on mine
Old 06-04-07, 08:38 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

I dont Think I have ever had that happen on mine....
Old 06-04-07, 11:34 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by A.C Milan
what do you mean by the AirbagON/OFF light?
when i have a passenger with me the little red guy with the seatbelt on keeps flashing. that's it.

That's what I see on my '06 too. Maybe the airbag light is only on North American '07s?
Old 06-04-07, 12:09 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Batmobile
the other night a lady friend did shift her weight towards me a little so maybe that's what set it off that time...
What exactly are you implying your lady friend was doing leaning towards you, lifting off her seat...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question on AIRBAG ON/OFF light.