IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Color matching difficult?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-07, 02:13 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by istundra
when my car got into a hit & run, they had to repaint the bumper, qtr panel, and door.

It took about 10-12 test panels for them to match the 3 stage paint of Glacier Frost Mica (white).

The paint job was very very expensive.

I urge you guys to find a reliable shop that is experienced with 3 stage paint, otherwise, you will pay for what you get, and be very dissatisfied.
does it match under all lighting conditions?

my brother has a GFM GS and he had to have some paint work done. it looks perfect outdoors and in the sun, but if it is dimly lit like a garage you can see the variation in the color.
Old 05-18-07, 02:24 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IS_250

my brother has a GFM GS and he had to have some paint work done. it looks perfect outdoors and in the sun, but if it is dimly lit like a garage you can see the variation in the color.
Read what we posted above... It will NEVER match 100% unless you repaint the whole car...
Old 05-18-07, 09:01 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
Read what we posted above... It will NEVER match 100% unless you repaint the whole car...
Actually for mine, I'd say they did a very very good match.

I honestly could not tell at all ... even under different lighting.

The shop I went to specializes in high end cars only.

Pretty much what you would expect if you pay $75-80 per hour.
Old 05-18-07, 09:11 PM
Turkf26
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually for mine, I'd say they did a very very good match.

I honestly could not tell at all ... even under different lighting.

The shop I went to specializes in high end cars only.

Pretty much what you would expect if you pay $75-80 per hour.
I agree and disagree with you... Yes you get what you pay for but i have seen a lot of work from shops that were suppost to be the best for "high end cars," and the paint job/match looked like it came out of Maaco... I am very surprised at the amount of redo work we have to do for our DRP insurance companies because of the work other shops have done.

Reputation is probably the biggest thing that seperates good shops from bad shops. It also depends on what brand paint the shop uses.
Old 05-18-07, 09:14 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Of course. They shop I went to have had over 40 years of experience.

I do agree with you. They repainted the same spot twice to make sure it was a perfect match.

But with the end result, it came out perfect.
Old 05-18-07, 09:17 PM
Turkf26
Driver

Of course. They shop I went to have had over 40 years of experience.

I do agree with you. They repainted the same spot twice to make sure it was a perfect match.

But with the end result, it came out perfect.
Well im glad you found a bodyshop that does good work for you but if they had to repaint the same spot twice, instantly to me that makes me believe that the color match wasnt good the first time and had to redo it... regardless im glad they do good work for you
Old 05-18-07, 09:24 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Turkf26
Well im glad you found a bodyshop that does good work for you but if they had to repaint the same spot twice, instantly to me that makes me believe that the color match wasnt good the first time and had to redo it... regardless im glad they do good work for you
That's where reputation comes to play.

If the shop doesn't care of their reputation, they would not even take the time to paint it again to achieve a match.

Most shops will let it go until the customer fights for it.

I still remember the day they said the car will be painted.

I arrived at the shop and they told me it was sent back into the booth to be color matched.

But I got to tell you guys, 3 stage paint is a pain in the rear to match.

Drive safe guys~. Repainting is a b i tch.
Old 05-18-07, 09:30 PM
Turkf26
Driver

That's where reputation comes to play.

If the shop doesn't care of their reputation, they would not even take the time to paint it again to achieve a match.

Most shops will let it go until the customer fights for it.

I still remember the day they said the car will be painted.

I arrived at the shop and they told me it was sent back into the booth to be color matched.

But I got to tell you guys, 3 stage paint is a pain in the rear to match.

Drive safe guys~. Repainting is a b i tch.
Yes repainting is something you should avoid at all costs.

When i had the Scion tC i had to have the back end repainted because someone egged every car on our entire street. I didnt think much of it at the time nor when i traded it in. It didnt even dawn on me to tell them it had been repainted until they pulled out a Mil gauge and milled the whole car!!! Lexus then tried to lowball the crap out of me on the trade it saying that had to disclose the repaint which we all know is BS because they dont disclose anything! If you dont really have to repaint your car, hold off for a while.
Old 05-19-07, 05:47 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS_250

Someone ran into the drivers fender on my 06 GFM IS350

To find out how well the paint matched... look at my signature.
Old 05-23-07, 08:57 PM
lilscrapy8
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lupin5
Is it really that hard to match the Tungsten Pearl?

My wife got into a little fender bender in which the drivers side had to be repainted. When I got the car back from t he body shop, it had to go back for things that didn't take care or messed up. When I finally got the car I didn't notice the paint not matching until it was dusk and the light hit it a certain way. I returned it again and showed them the problem, they said they would fix it. When I got the car again they said this paint was hard to get right/match. I do notice an improvement but the car STILL is a little off. It seems that put too much metallic in the paint. Just a tad darker. Standing back the car looks good, it's not until you get pretty close is when you notice the difference. Should I keep going backeven though they can't seem to get the color right. I was thinking about taking it somewhere were they could match it and have the other body shop pay for it. Probably have to contact the manager first.

Has anybody else had issues matching the Tungsten Pearl?

I'm having the same problem as Lupin with the Tungsten Pearl. I ended up going to a Lexus Certified Body shop that South Bay Lexus referred me to. I had to have the driver side fender painted and noticed that its a shade darker than the drivers door and bumper. I also noticed that a lot of you guys that have commented are from California. Is there any shops around Southern California (Long Beach) area that I can take to have the problem corrected?

Last edited by lilscrapy8; 05-23-07 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-23-07, 09:43 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lilscrapy8
I'm having the same problem as Lupin with the Tungsten Pearl. I ended up going to a Lexus Certified Body shop that South Bay Lexus referred me to. I called the body shop and said they use Lexus genuine Paint. I doubt if that's true. I had to have the driver side fender painted and noticed that its a shade darker than the drivers door and bumper. I also noticed that a lot of you guys that have commented are from California. Is there any shops around Southern California (Long Beach) area that I can take to have the problem corrected?
"Lexus genuine Paint" <-- ROFL...
"I doubt if that's true" <-- 2X ROFL...

Do you even know what "Lexus genuine Paint" is?

If you are spending your money based on marketing like that, let me sell you some "Lexus genuine motor oil" or better yet, some "Lexus genuine windshield wiper fluid"...

Old 05-23-07, 10:08 PM
lilscrapy8
Rookie

Originally Posted by Technique
"Lexus genuine Paint" <-- ROFL...
"I doubt if that's true" <-- 2X ROFL...

Do you even know what "Lexus genuine Paint" is?

If you are spending your money based on marketing like that, let me sell you some "Lexus genuine motor oil" or better yet, some "Lexus genuine windshield wiper fluid"...

Judgment was not based on the marketing. I would think a body shop (RON'S Body Shop in torrance,ca) that a LEXUS dealership referred me to would do a better job.
Old 05-24-07, 05:36 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lilscrapy8
Judgment was not based on the marketing. I would think a body shop (RON'S Body Shop in torrance,ca) that a LEXUS dealership referred me to would do a better job.
Think again... Hopefully you have learned your lesson that anything associated or recommended by a "dealer" is not necessarily "better" than any other legitimate business...
Old 05-24-07, 07:41 AM
jurutera
Driver

My friend with a tungsten pearl had an accident which requires repainting. Lexus body repair did it and it seems quite fine. Dont there have like a specific colour code for it and just paint it or does it require some mix and match. Just curious.