ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013-163/)
-   -   Color matching difficult? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/282646-color-matching-difficult.html)

Lupin5 05-18-07 06:25 AM

Color matching difficult?

Is it really that hard to match the Tungsten Pearl?

My wife got into a little fender bender in which the drivers side had to be repainted. When I got the car back from t he body shop, it had to go back for things that didn't take care or messed up. When I finally got the car I didn't notice the paint not matching until it was dusk and the light hit it a certain way. I returned it again and showed them the problem, they said they would fix it. When I got the car again they said this paint was hard to get right/match. I do notice an improvement but the car STILL is a little off. It seems that put too much metallic in the paint. Just a tad darker. Standing back the car looks good, it's not until you get pretty close is when you notice the difference. Should I keep going backeven though they can't seem to get the color right. I was thinking about taking it somewhere were they could match it and have the other body shop pay for it. Probably have to contact the manager first.

Has anybody else had issues matching the Tungsten Pearl?

flipside909 05-18-07 07:43 AM

Silver, beige and pearl whites are the hardest colors to match. Depending on the painter's skill, they can get it really really close, but with a trained eye, you can still see some variation. It's almost impossible to match the density of the metallic flake. You should go back to the place you had it painted and find a resolution first. If you leave to another body shop without the first shop's approval or consent and you come back to them, they will tell you to go pound sand.

Technique 05-18-07 07:50 AM

Gonna be damn hard to match...

Tungsten Pearl is a 3-stage color right? Those are a nightmare to match...

My advice: If it looks good under most lighting situations, leave it alone! :)

Turkf26 05-18-07 07:56 AM

Did they just paint the part (taking it was a fender?) that was damaged or did they blend the hood/door?? Good bodyshops will know instantly when they see your car what paint work is needed to be done.

For example, If a 2IS came into our shop, needed a fender replacement, i would automatically blend refinish the door and the hood. There is no one that can perfectly match any color regardless if its a 2 or 3 stage. Each car is different in its color. If you put a couple silver IS's together, i can guarantee you could pickup different color tones and such in each car.

The bodyshop should have given you a copy of the work they did to your vehicle. Check and see what panels were painted on your vehicle and let us know.

Good Luck!

Technique 05-18-07 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Turkf26 (Post 2631870)
Did they just paint the part (taking it was a fender?) that was damaged or did they blend the hood/door?? Good bodyshops will know instantly when they see your car what paint work is needed to be done.

For example, If a 2IS came into our shop, needed a fender replacement, i would automatically blend refinish the door and the hood. There is no one that can perfectly match any color regardless if its a 2 or 3 stage. Each car is different in its color. If you put a couple silver IS's together, i can guarantee you could pickup different color tones and such in each car.

The bodyshop should have given you a copy of the work they did to your vehicle. Check and see what panels were painted on your vehicle and let us know.

Good Luck!

I disagree somewhat... Especially with the blending comment... I am not a huge fan of blending... Yes, it can make the transition between panels a little bit better, but it's not a solution...

You are correct that it's basically impossible to match "exactly", but still, with many colors, it doesn't matter... But, with white pearl, silver, it's easier to tell when it doesn't match...

When you buy the OEM ground effects (spoiler, side skirts, etc...) those don't match exactly either, but no one would ever consider repainting them and blending... You know?

3-stage is harder to match... You agree on that, right?

Turkf26 05-18-07 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Technique (Post 2631901)
I disagree somewhat... Especially with the blending comment... I am not a huge fan of blending... Yes, it can make the transition between panels a little bit better, but it's not a solution...

You are correct that it's basically impossible to match "exactly", but still, with many colors, it doesn't matter... But, with white pearl, silver, it's easier to tell when it doesn't match...

When you buy the OEM ground effects (spoiler, side skirts, etc...) those don't match exactly either, but no one would ever consider repainting them and blending... You know?

3-stage is harder to match... You agree on that, right?

yes 3 stage is so hard to match. I disagree on the blending because it does make a huge difference. Blending is pretty much the only solution to get the color to look close to perfect. My painter on certain colors will spend lots of time tinting the color to get it to match as close as possible. On solid colors, you dont have to blend because he can tint the color so close that you cannot tell the difference.

I had him tint the color for my grille for about 2 hrs total and he got it to match pretty close. Its not perfect but is really really close.

I do know that the ground effects/bumpers dont match at all. (Especially on my white IS). When i had my scion before, the color was so off that i complained to toyota and they finally paid our shop to repaint them. After we repainted them, they matched almost perfect. (Scion was black)

I guess the only real way to match the color perfectly would be to paint the entire car...

MrMark 05-18-07 08:29 AM

Ever try matching MR ??? ;) ....that was a tough color to match....:egads:

Technique 05-18-07 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Turkf26 (Post 2631920)
yes 3 stage is so hard to match. I disagree on the blending because it does make a huge difference. Blending is pretty much the only solution to get the color to look close to perfect. My painter on certain colors will spend lots of time tinting the color to get it to match as close as possible. On solid colors, you dont have to blend because he can tint the color so close that you cannot tell the difference.

I had him tint the color for my grille for about 2 hrs total and he got it to match pretty close. Its not perfect but is really really close.

I do know that the ground effects/bumpers dont match at all. (Especially on my white IS). When i had my scion before, the color was so off that i complained to toyota and they finally paid our shop to repaint them. After we repainted them, they matched almost perfect. (Scion was black)

I guess the only real way to match the color perfectly would be to paint the entire car...

Ya, I hear what you are saying... I don't know if I've ever heard anyone else on this forum or others complain about the ground effects not matching... I'm sure it's happened, but most people don't think about things like that... They only cast a critical eye on a paint job after "body work" has been done... :rolleyes: And like you said, many of these OEM parts match much less than a quality auto body shop, yet no one complains...

I only blend for customers who want it and are willing to pay... I tell most of them that it will never be "100%" unless they repaint the entire car... So I give them the 2 costs based on with blend and without... Most choose not to blend and are happy with the results...

In fact, another problem I've had, especially with BMWs, and other cars that tend to suffer from orange peel, is that the repainted panels are orange-peel free, and the customer is like "WTF? How could you guys do a better job than the factory???" And my response is always the same "The factory is not as great as everyone thinks"...

Sounds like you are a perfectionist when it comes to matching... Much like myself... We need more body shops like that! :)

Technique 05-18-07 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by MrMark (Post 2631932)

Nope... Only 2 IS's I've ever seen worked on were SGM and Black...

Red can be tough ya, but it is easier when the car is pretty new... After a few years when the glossy red fades, forgetaboutit :)

Turkf26 05-18-07 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Technique (Post 2631937)
Ya, I hear what you are saying... I don't know if I've ever heard anyone else on this forum or others complain about the ground effects not matching... I'm sure it's happened, but most people don't think about things like that... They only cast a critical eye on a paint job after "body work" has been done... :rolleyes: And like you said, many of these OEM parts match much less than a quality auto body shop, yet no one complains...

I only blend for customers who want it and are willing to pay... I tell most of them that it will never be "100%" unless they repaint the entire car... So I give them the 2 costs based on with blend and without... Most choose not to blend and are happy with the results...

In fact, another problem I've had, especially with BMWs, and other cars that tend to suffer from orange peel, is that the repainted panels are orange-peel free, and the customer is like "WTF? How could you guys do a better job than the factory???" And my response is always the same "The factory is not as great as everyone thinks"...

Sounds like you are a perfectionist when it comes to matching... Much like myself... We need more body shops like that! :)

If a customer is paying out of pocket, i always tell give them the 2 options, either blend to make the color match as close as possible, or save some money, paint just the part but expect it not to match. With insurance companies, it all depends on the year make model. Any 05+ cars that are not solid colors, we usually blend. If i dont have to blend a panel, i wont because its best to leave as much factory mils of paint on the vehicle.

Ya it kinda sucks to work at a bodyshop just for the point that i notice every little defect in factory paint jobs/color matches. 99% of people dont ever notice that the bumpers are a different color that the car until i point it out to them! Hondas and Toyotas are the worst for having the bumpers not matching the vehicle.

I find lots and lots of factory defects in all Dodge vehicles. I swear sometimes that they paint those cars outside in the middle of a parking lot...

The hardest colors to match are any 3 stage colors, and the Matador Red. It seems that Toyota loves to use transparent red's for all their cars. Even the Toyota Corolla red is a PIA to match...

Technique 05-18-07 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Turkf26 (Post 2631980)
The hardest colors to match are any 3 stage colors, and the Matador Red. It seems that Toyota loves to use transparent red's for all their cars. Even the Toyota Corolla red is a PIA to match...

Totally... When I found out my Black Sapphire was a 3-stage I was like, "Uh Oh... I hope I never need to do any body work on it"... :)

Turkf26 05-18-07 09:48 AM

lol ya same with my car but i knew when buying it i was getting a 3 stage white. I just could not ignore how good it looked under the show room floor lights.. :)

IS_250 05-18-07 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by MrMark (Post 2631932)

yeah, tell me about it.

at least you just had to have your bodykit painted to match. i had to get a door and fender painted. under certain lighting conditions you can never tell, but sometimes you can.

as far as blending, if its a big panel such as a door, hood, or quarter panel id want it blended to make sure the color looks as close as possible.

Lupin5 05-18-07 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Turkf26 (Post 2631870)

Good Luck!

What got painted was the whole left side. The door didn't match the fender. They fixed that and it all looks good. Where it doesn't match perfectly is the rear fender and the trunk and the front fender and the hood. More so the trunk. Blending would have helped, but I still would have noticed. Like you guys said, it's hard to get the EXACT color unless you repaint the whole car at once. The parts they painted had more metallic in it. I might take it back so they can do a better job on the rear, that's the only part that's bugging me anyways.

I guess the best thing is to try and not get into any accidents:sad:

istundra 05-18-07 02:01 PM

when my car got into a hit & run, they had to repaint the bumper, qtr panel, and door.

It took about 10-12 test panels for them to match the 3 stage paint of Glacier Frost Mica (white).

The paint job was very very expensive.

I urge you guys to find a reliable shop that is experienced with 3 stage paint, otherwise, you will pay for what you get, and be very dissatisfied.