IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

wrecked 2007 Lexus IS 350

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-07, 01:15 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,854 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
So again it comes down to the person driving, if the person wants to speed bad enough, they are gonna do it whether in the cobalt or 350, one just gets you there quicker than the other, i do understand what your saying tho.
Obviously you believe that idiotic myth that speed kills. It doesn't. For example - what happens when you mash the gas on a Scion tC or a Chevy Cobalt in the middle of a turn? Not a lot.

What happens when you do the same thing in a car with 300+ hp on tap? It gets sideways, and it will happen before the stability controls can do anything about it. I got the tail on my 350 to kick around while making a U turn the other day, and the rear end slid really nicely before VDIM could jump in and stop the fun.
Old 03-09-07, 01:20 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The myth only holds true if the person speeding doesnt know how to control their car.
Old 03-09-07, 01:31 PM
SParker1tx
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im getting really tired of this idiotic kids my age who are so irresponsible!! They give the 17 and 18 year olds who are not retards a horrible name!! I just turned 18 and I have been driving for 2 years straight without an accident or a ticket and thats the only reason why my parents got me such a nice car not to mention I have good grades and got into my #1 college of choice. Yes I may not have paid for it but I did what my parents expected of me and was rewarded greatly. Its just so frustrating to see idiots my age throwing these cars around like they are candy because they are so rich... I hope he learned a good lesson and all of his friends too... He probably would not have done it, or at least not as bad, if he was alone.... Having more kids in the car makes you want to show off... Just disgusting its really alarming for me knowing kids my age are this stupid...
Old 03-09-07, 01:35 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bichon
Simply not true, regardless of driver, the car is also a factor. Price liability insurance for a 17 year old driver with a 1998 four cylinder Camry. Then price the exact same policy for that same driver with a 2007 Corvette Z06. Remember that liability coverage only pays for the other party's injuries, so the difference in cost between the two cars isn't a factor. The difference is in the actuarial tables, which predict what the insurance company is likely to pay out in claims. Actuarial tables are not based on stereotypes, they are built by applying valid statistical analysis to real claims data.
I don't think he was referring to insurance rates. Just a general truth that you are not going to turn a kid into a responsible driver by replacing his car with a "slower" one. He'll still take his turns too quickly, he'll still drive 20MPH too quick for the conditions, and he'll still think he's the best driver out there and that the only reason the other people aren't driving as fast as him is because they do not have his "skillz".

I don't know my actuarial tables, but I'm somewhat confident significant conclusions can be gleaned from comparing a 40 year old clean driver with a Corvette against a 17 year old (like the one who totaled his car) with his new Camry.
Old 03-09-07, 01:41 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Obviously you believe that idiotic myth that speed kills. It doesn't. For example - what happens when you mash the gas on a Scion tC or a Chevy Cobalt in the middle of a turn? Not a lot.
No, but instead of doing a turn at 85mph in a 35mph zone, he might have done it at 65mph. His inexperience and recklessness will still find him a way to flip over the car. The safest car is the one with the most responsible and alert driver behind the wheel... alert about his surroundings, maintenance, etc. Conversely, no car is safe or slow enough with an idiot behind the wheel.
Old 03-09-07, 01:51 PM
neova
Pole Position

Young kid gets a machine he is not qualified to drive and lets testosterone control the throttle, not good sense.
This accident is only a symptom of a much bigger issue that revolves about licensing drivers. Here, we let anyone with a driver license teach someone else to drive, and once you acquire your licence you can drive any car of any size up until it gets into commercial grade vehicles.

Can someone tell me how is it possible for a 16-year old who drove a sub-compact FWD 5AT car for his road test, passes, is then expected to properly drive/control a high power RWD car or a big 7-passenger SUV? They are not the same vehicles and requires proper introduction. I guess the freedom to do as you want in this country outweights the neccessity to restrict/control what vehicles we can qualify to drive/own.

Irresponsible kids comes from irresponsible parents. I would not be surprised if his parents are just as reckless behind the wheel as the kid himself.

Last edited by neova; 03-09-07 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-09-07, 01:54 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sirkfc
I don't think he was referring to insurance rates. Just a general truth that you are not going to turn a kid into a responsible driver by replacing his car with a "slower" one. He'll still take his turns too quickly, he'll still drive 20MPH too quick for the conditions, and he'll still think he's the best driver out there and that the only reason the other people aren't driving as fast as him is because they do not have his "skillz".

I don't know my actuarial tables, but I'm somewhat confident significant conclusions can be gleaned from comparing a 40 year old clean driver with a Corvette against a 17 year old (like the one who totaled his car) with his new Camry.
No, but instead of doing a turn at 85mph in a 35mph zone, he might have done it at 65mph. His inexperience and recklessness will still find him a way to flip over the car. The safest car is the one with the most responsible and alert driver behind the wheel... alert about his surroundings, maintenance, etc. Conversely, no car is safe or slow enough with an idiot behind the wheel.
I'm glad some people understand what I'm trying to say .
Old 03-09-07, 02:09 PM
neova
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SParker1tx
Yes I may not have paid for it but I did what my parents expected of me and was rewarded greatly.
I also got good grades and got into my college of choice. My only just reward was that I recieved scholarship for so that I can save my hard earned cash from my part-time job to pay for other living expenses, and save towards a downpayment for a house once I graduate.

Eventhough you sound like a nice kid, it does not change the fact that people will not understand the true meaning of owning something if they didn't finacially paid for it. There are other things to pay for in life other than a car, and being able balance/prioritize all those financial needs and still be financially responsible in owning a nice car is a great achievement. It's only an experience you'll come to apprecite if you have to go thru it, you wont' understand it no matter how grateful you are for the gift.

anyway I'm just being old fashioned here and I'm not even 30 yet.

Last edited by neova; 03-09-07 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-09-07, 02:14 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

yeah, but at least this guy seems to have a decent perspective on his good fortune, so he's ok in my book.... whatever that's worth.
Old 03-09-07, 02:31 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 256 Likes on 226 Posts

I don't think he was referring to insurance rates.
He wasn't but I was. Behind those rates is the best available comprehensive statistical analysis of real accident data. Actuarial tables take factors like age, gender, make/model car, town where car is garaged, etc. to accurately predict the likelihood of an insurance loss.

Just a general truth that you are not going to turn a kid into a responsible driver by replacing his car with a "slower" one. He'll still take his turns too quickly, he'll still drive 20MPH too quick for the conditions, and he'll still think he's the best driver out there and that the only reason the other people aren't driving as fast as him is because they do not have his "skillz".
While that may be true, statistics still show that even controlling for all other factors (age, driving record, gender, geographic region, etc.) drivers with high performance cars get into more accidents than drivers of slower boring ones, and the ones they get into are more serious.

Last edited by Bichon; 03-09-07 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-09-07, 03:26 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

While that may be true, statistics still show that even controlling for all other factors (age, driving record, gender, geographic region, etc.) drivers with high performance cars get into more accidents than drivers of slower boring ones, and the ones they get into are more serious.
Ah, you're talking about a Null Hypothesis where car type makes no difference. The P-value is low, so we reject the null hypothesis.... I wonder if they adequately crossed the terms with the car type to make sure they accounted for interaction effects. For example, a young man with an extra 100HP might do a lot more damage than an old woman with the same change, though both will do more in their performance car.

Bad memories of stat class, but yeah, interesting stuff.
Old 03-09-07, 03:57 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,854 Likes on 2,337 Posts

...While that may be true, statistics still show that even controlling for all other factors (age, driving record, gender, geographic region, etc.) drivers with high performance cars get into more accidents than drivers of slower boring ones, and the ones they get into are more serious.
That's a chicken and egg problem though. Is it the car, or is it the type of driver who buys that kind of car? Probably some of both, but still, it's a hard call.
Old 03-09-07, 04:53 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was 17 when i bought my Lexus Gs400, but i personally paid for it no help from mom and dad so i respected the car more and was not doing dumb stuff like taking a corner going 85 in a 35. But i will admit i did push it to the limit on the highway from time to time. I know a lot of rich kids that their parents bought them really nice cars and it is true that they do not appriciate it and just abuse their cars they did not pay for. Now that i just bought my IS250 AWD i have not gone over 95mph because i respect it more because its more money out of my own pocket. Im 19 now.
Old 03-09-07, 05:04 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 256 Likes on 226 Posts

That's a chicken and egg problem though. Is it the car, or is it the type of driver who buys that kind of car? Probably some of both, but still, it's a hard call.
To test that hypothesis, you'd want to look at a pool of single driver households that own the same two cars, one a high performance vehicle and one not, control for variables like total miles each vehicle is driven, and then see whether accident history between the two vehicles are statistically different. For example, do drivers who own both a Porsche 911 and a GMC Yukon, over the period of time it takes to put 15,000 miles on each, have a statistically greater chance of crashing the Porsche than the Yukon?
Old 03-09-07, 05:04 PM
Julez
Intermediate

There seems to be a lot of envy and/or hate towards rich kids and their parents. If their parents are able to make the money they do, they should be able to spend it how they feel. They don't go around hating on people or telling them how other people should spend their money so why should they be under the microscope and not others. It's perfectly fine for someone to buy million dollar Ferrari's but they go and blow 50k on their kid and they are something else. Excuses range from they don't care about their car, they didn't work for it, etc, etc, blah blah. Everyone in this world has to appreciate money?

Last edited by Julez; 03-09-07 at 05:08 PM.

Quick Reply: wrecked 2007 Lexus IS 350