IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

A coin holder would have been nice

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-07, 07:51 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 256 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by ldc
Coins goes into your pockets. That's what pockets are made for.
Pants pockets are a terrible place to keep coins needed for tolls. Their location just about insures that if a coin is dropped, it will end up under the seat where it is difficult (if not impossible) to retrieve.
Old 02-21-07, 09:07 AM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tgara
Now you're making stuff up to justify your position. Piece of advice: When you're in a hole, stop digging.

Having a coin holder is a convenience thing. Instead of digging into your pockets or purse while sitting in your car, just reach into the coin holder and pull out a couple coins for the toll, drive-thru, or parking meter. Why is this so hard to grasp?
Actually, it is a rather simple concept to grasp. In terms of the toll-road, I restate my stance that this must be a regional issue that others outside of Houston cannot grasp. Simply look at the types of cars going through the toll-tag lane and you'd understand my position on that one.

Additionally, I'd like to think that manufactures like Lexus do enough market research that they know what they are doing. I cannot state this for fact but I'd venture to say that a majority of the world market that they sell to are smokers... thus, their belief that an ash tray is more useful than a coin holder.

Again, this is a damned-if-they-do/don't situation. If they only put a coin holder, their other markets would be *****ing about not having an ash tray. And besides, I don't think the US market is non-smoker enough to warrant them thinking it would be beneficial to have two configurations - a US spec car with a coin holder and a non-US spec car with an ash tray.

My current car doesn't have a coin holder... and I think it is very very annoying. I'm not refuting that. I'd like one. But, an ash-tray can be dual purpose... act as an actual ash tray or a place for you to throw your coins in. Whereas a coin holder cannot be an ash tray. From a purely business perspective, I guarantee they'd lose more market share for not having an ash tray than they will for not having a coin holder. A smoker will walk away from a car that doesn't have an ash tray. But, a non-smoker won't walk away from a car because it doesn't have a coin holder!!

Someone else mentioned above some other cars that don't have an ash tray. But, do any of the high-end "luxury" cars not have one? I don't know the answer to that one... but I'd venture to guess that they all do. (Acura doesn't count... I don't consider them "high-end luxury")

I'm not trying to dig myself into a deeper hole (I never thought I was in one in the first place). I think everyone has made some valid points here. I'd say you are the one having trouble "grasping" a civil discussion. My point behind defending not having a coin holder is purely from a top-level business point of view... I agree it is extremely useful for many individuals from a convenience POV, but manufacturers have to do what is for the greater good of their product and will keep the largest segment happy.

Now, if you want to talk about the fact that you think Lexus dropped the ball because they didn't put a coin holder AND an ash tray - that is an argument I could accept (and would agree with).

Last edited by RamshakleZ; 02-21-07 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-22-07, 09:05 AM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-22-07, 09:46 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
Now, THAT defines Lexus Luxury...
Old 02-22-07, 10:14 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ISbb
Here is what I do for the coins and the lighter (I put a Blue LED light I wish to get a ligher cover but can't find a good looking one)
Is that the Carson-Lexus CF kit??
Old 02-22-07, 11:10 AM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
Is that the Carson-Lexus CF kit??
It looks good if it is. But it doesn't look like a lay-over.
Old 02-22-07, 11:11 AM
XtrabOoSt
Lexus Test Driver

All My Coins Go To Bum's!..*
Old 02-22-07, 12:34 PM
Joneser
Driver

judging by the comments about using the ashtray, i guess you all actually use the cup holder in the center compartment?! If anything that's the worst spot for a cup holder I have ever seen (not that i drink and drive anyway )... That's where coins end and i hear no rattles whatsoever with a deep dish console wrapped in sponge foam and leather it seems to be kind of difficult, i guess.
Old 02-22-07, 02:08 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
No way in hell i'm gonna do that. No offense but that is just wrong!

I sometimes have lots of coins but i'd rather leave them at home and use notes, or try and pay for things with the coins first.
Old 02-22-07, 02:16 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Pants pockets are a terrible place to keep coins needed for tolls. Their location just about insures that if a coin is dropped, it will end up under the seat where it is difficult (if not impossible) to retrieve.
I can't see the relations belween your pants pockets housing coins, and lost of coins under the seats. Just take your time and you won't drop any...
Old 02-22-07, 02:36 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

I knew you guys would love the Zip-Lock pic. hahahhaha.....
Old 02-22-07, 03:23 PM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Just use plastic... for EVERYTHING. Even McDonalds takes Credit Cards these days for $1.03 purchase. There's really no need to have a ton of coins... just a few for the off time that some place doesn't take cards.

(yes, I realize this won't work for everyone. But in Houston there's no reason to have coins in the car really)