IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2008 Honda Accord Coupe vs. IS

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-07, 09:21 AM
Wai
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it looks really good. I know the actual production model might look a little different, but the overall shape and lines look much better than the current model.

As for FWD vs RWD, I might get flamed for this, but c'mon people.... What difference does it make when majority of usage is just daily driving on public roads. Unless you are talking about acceleration from dead stop (stoplight racing), high speed cruising/acceleration, on/off ramp cornering or even twisty back roads, FWD and RWD makes very little difference --- ESPECIALLY nowadays all cars, be it FWD, RWD, or 4WD, are dialed in with understeering behavior from the factory for safety reasons.

You might not agree with this, but JMHO.
Old 02-02-07, 09:36 AM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks nice
Old 02-02-07, 09:39 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I think this comparison is kind of a nonsense. Neither car are in the same class as one another. The accord is made for everyday family driving while the IS is made for a more upscale cruiser. Obviously the IS is going to win in many areas so.

And plus, this thread is suppose to be in the Car Chat. It has nothing to do with the IS as far as general discussions.
Old 02-02-07, 01:54 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wai
I think it looks really good. I know the actual production model might look a little different, but the overall shape and lines look much better than the current model.

As for FWD vs RWD, I might get flamed for this, but c'mon people.... What difference does it make when majority of usage is just daily driving on public roads. Unless you are talking about acceleration from dead stop (stoplight racing), high speed cruising/acceleration, on/off ramp cornering or even twisty back roads, FWD and RWD makes very little difference --- ESPECIALLY nowadays all cars, be it FWD, RWD, or 4WD, are dialed in with understeering behavior from the factory for safety reasons.

Nope. Don't agree.
Old 02-02-07, 05:04 PM
ultraseven
Driver School Candidate

you can't compare the two for various reasons:

1) price ranges aren't the same
2) FWD vs RWD - BIG difference
3) different car class

Need I go on? If a Camry V6 outguns the IS250, does that make it a better car?
Old 02-02-07, 07:57 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Wai

I don't agree either. While true that FWD cars are better now than they use to be in terms of feel and handling, there is still a huge difference IMO. Not to mention dipping the throttle to make your back end come out is a heck of a lot more fun than dipping the throttle to torque steer the car.
Old 02-02-07, 08:38 PM
Wai
Pole Position

For everyday driving, how can you get the IS's tail to step out thru the throttle? Do you drive with VDIM off?
Old 02-02-07, 08:38 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by warrionex
Here are the pics:
I say put your bias opinions on hold. That one good looking coupe Honda or not. JMHO

No.......I'm not going to trade in my IS250. What I'm saying is there are many nice looking cars on the road right now.........I just enjoy them all...
Old 02-02-07, 08:47 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Wai
For everyday driving, how can you get the IS's tail to step out thru the throttle? Do you drive with VDIM off?
With the right combination of steering input and throttle, you can make the tail swing out a bit before vdim kicks in and spoils the fun. I have an 06 so there is no EASY way of turning vdim off. I don't like doing the pedal dance becuase you cannot turn it back on unless you kill the engine first.
Old 02-02-07, 08:57 PM
CHAPIN33
Pole Position

to me it looks like the LF-S lexus concept. IMO.
Attached Thumbnails 2008 Honda Accord Coupe vs. IS-03_tms_01-2004_lexus_lf_s_concept-front_side_view.jpg