IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2008 Honda Accord Coupe vs. IS

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-07, 07:38 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by widlfiresd
Has the IS coupe been confirmed? The last article I read stated Toyota thought the coupe market was small and not worth the effort.
Tell that to Infinity and their G35 coupe sales.
Old 02-01-07, 08:04 PM
Kepeli
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ramon
This is the only Honda in the history of Honda minus the S2K that doesn't put me to sleep when looking at it. Now the question is, is it going to have a typical Honda engine making it's peak HP at 15k RPM's and 12ft lb of torque, or are they going to give it some *****?
I was reading an article (can't recall where) that the 08 Accord engine is capable of 300hp but will be tuned down, they did not say to where. I am guessing they will give it 270hp max.
Old 02-01-07, 08:23 PM
neova
Pole Position

I would not count on it looking this sharp by the time it becomes production. It will have tackier plastic trims and less performance parts. Remember this is the Honda Accord, and Honda would be stupid to put out an Accord that would take away TSX or TL sales. So expect the Accord coupe to look significantly watered down for production.

There's a lot of cars out there now that has great value compared to our 2IS, especially the 204hp IS250. The Nissan Altima can be had for less money and 270hp!!! But you get what you pay for so it depends on what is your priority - bang for buck or entry level luxury...
Old 02-01-07, 09:02 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

This concept looks good but I doubt the final production version will look anywhere this good.
Old 02-01-07, 11:25 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

This is the only Honda in the history of Honda minus the S2K that doesn't put me to sleep when looking at it. Now the question is, is it going to have a typical Honda engine making it's peak HP at 15k RPM's and 12ft lb of torque, or are they going to give it some *****?
Well, it does have a quad exhaust. I like it. If it's as good as it looks, and the tires don't cost 1k a set, I might trade for it by then. I like coupes - had a 2000 Solara, for 6 years, and it was a great car.
Old 02-01-07, 11:31 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by neova
I would not count on it looking this sharp by the time it becomes production. It will have tackier plastic trims and less performance parts. Remember this is the Honda Accord, and Honda would be stupid to put out an Accord that would take away TSX or TL sales. So expect the Accord coupe to look significantly watered down for production.
Originally Posted by pisaykotik
This concept looks good but I doubt the final production version will look anywhere this good.
I think it was announced at the detroit auto show that the production model will be about 95% of what the concept looks like. My guess is that the rims will be gone.

And I highly doubt the accord coupe will take away sales from the TL or TSX. The TL/TSX are coupe and they are on their last breath already. A newly design TL will be on its way very soon, and the TSX will come after next year.
Old 02-01-07, 11:36 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The current V6 already has some ***** in it, especially the 6spd. It'll do a quarter mile in about 14.6 seconds at 97mph or so. That's basically right behind a lexus GS430.
Old 02-02-07, 01:43 AM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kepeli
I was reading an article (can't recall where) that the 08 Accord engine is capable of 300hp but will be tuned down, they did not say to where. I am guessing they will give it 270hp max.
CAR & DRIVER
By Jared Gall

"At launch, the ’08 Accord will again be offered with a choice of in-line four and V-6 engines – no new ‘clean’ diesel until 2009 – but with a hybrid following soon after. Despite flat-lining sales of the current Accord hybrid, Honda is sticking with a green version so as to stay in the game with the new Camry, Altima, and Saturn Aura gas-electrics.

Quadruple exhaust outlets set into the bumper of the concept signal the performance potential of the coupe, which Honda says will be offered with a more powerful and fuel efficient V-6 than the mill in the current car—possibly a version of the new, 300-hp 3.7-liter V-6 that’s in the Acura MDX—as well as Variable Cylinder Management, Honda’s cylinder-deactivation system when the '08 Accord hits showrooms in the fall of 2007.
Old 02-02-07, 01:55 AM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Videos

Launching video at the 2007 NAIAS
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=4543

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZycnktG3dw
Attached Thumbnails 2008 Honda Accord Coupe vs. IS-honda.jpg  
Old 02-02-07, 02:13 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What exactly is the original topics question? Compare the 2008 Accord Coupe to the IS in terms of looks, performance, value? Anyway, in terms of looks I actually like the Accord Coupe very much. One of the best looking coupes in its class today. I am a coupe guy and I'd probably take a V6 Accord Coupe over a 4 door IS250, but not over the IS350. I think this coupe looks much better than the current Solara, and better looking than the up coming Altima Coupe. I think this car will be a huge sales success for Honda.
Old 02-02-07, 05:56 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Tell that to Infinity and their G35 coupe sales.

I see more 4 door sedans than coupes. I would venture to say that 4 door outsells the coupe. However, I love the lines of that coupe.. If only it had the Toyota engine and interior. Haha.

And I love the new accord coupe design. Hondally usually stick with their concepts and that thing is sexy. I'm sure it'll sell like hot cakes to the High Schoolers.
Old 02-02-07, 07:54 AM
XtrabOoSt
Lexus Test Driver

The Rear Looks Like A Chevy or Ford..*
Old 02-02-07, 08:58 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 257 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by neova
There's a lot of cars out there now that has great value compared to our 2IS, especially the 204hp IS250. The Nissan Altima can be had for less money and 270hp!!! But you get what you pay for so it depends on what is your priority - bang for buck or entry level luxury...
Actually, that new Altima also has a surprising number of the tech goodies that you wouldn't expect in a vehicle of that class. Smartkey? standard. DVD nav w/backup camera? available. Even real-time traffic updates (XM service) on the nav, a cool technology feature not available on the IS.
Old 02-02-07, 09:15 AM
carvelo
Driver School Candidate

Back end is terrible in my opinion. It looked good until I saw that. Ugh.
Old 02-02-07, 09:19 AM
racinghart
Pole Position

i actually like it! wow... is aaron going accord again soon?! maybeeee

Quick Reply: 2008 Honda Accord Coupe vs. IS