LED Flasher

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-06, 12:56 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Not as simple as it appears.

I have tried the exact same load resistor as the one below and it did not do a thing on my car. Still hyperflashing like crazy.

I replaced the rear turn signals first and the hyperflashing started immediately.

Strangely enough, when you have the hazard flasher on (rather than just right or left turn signals), the LED's flash at the same rate as the regular filament bulbs.

I then replaced the front turn signals with LED's and same thing - hyperflashing.
Did you get the 3 OHM ones? And are you sure you installed them correctly? I have the same ones from autolumination and they've been working fine for me so far.
Old 12-21-06, 01:00 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 228 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE.UCF10
Did you get the 3 OHM ones? And are you sure you installed them correctly? I have the same ones from autolumination and they've been working fine for me so far.
I have to check when I go home what the ohm rating is.

I got mine off ebay and they were installed correctly.

My only other guess why your's are working is probably because the OEM flasher control module on your LS is different from the one on a GS.
Old 12-21-06, 03:08 PM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered the old OEM flasher(50030) that works with LEDs and some bulbs to test it out. I'll post up my results when they get here next week.
Old 12-21-06, 03:27 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dabigman,

Can you post pictures of the whole removal & install process?
Old 12-21-06, 04:52 PM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
Dabigman,

Can you post pictures of the whole removal & install process?
Yeah, if I remember...
Old 12-26-06, 03:52 PM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

OK, I got my LEDs and flasher today but I only had time to finsih some of the work (e.g. installed only rears).

A few things to note:

-I bought amber bulbs and as expected they are not as bright as incandescent through the rvinyl overlays.
-They look much brighter at night than they do in sunlight.
-They shine as orange through the red vinyl overlay. I am very happy about this and I am willing to sacrifice some brightness for this.
-I didn't ever think to count the bulbs in the front so I only ordered 4 total. D'oh! Our car has four turn bulbs just in the front.

My goal is to replace all the bulbs and to see if the flasher is still messed up. To my knowledge no one has replaced all six bulbs and tried. If they did I wish they would have mentioned that I need 6 bulbs total for the job.

So right now I am two bulbs shy of enough for the front and apparently I have to take the headlight assembly out to get to the two turn sockets so I may have to wait until my new bulbs get here or I could install th two I have on one side and see what happens.

In any case, once I get the bulbs in and they fail to blink right, I will try the older flasher I bought and see what happens.

I'll see if I can get some pictures tonight.
Attached Thumbnails LED Flasher-newlednflasher-sm.jpg  
Old 12-26-06, 04:20 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

awesome! can't wait to see the results!
Old 12-26-06, 11:33 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you for shareing this info. Please let us know how difficult it is to remove the headlight. Thank you!
Old 12-27-06, 08:28 AM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

OK, good and bad news. Bad news is that the procedure to remove the headlights is more than I bargained for so I'm not attempting to change the front bulbs. I would have to take off the entire front bumper, the energy bumper, and the trim fascias just to even get to the bolts for the headlight assembly. Then I'd have to pull the headlight assembly which means I'd have to re-adjust the aim and calibration when I re-install. If anyone has changed their 7440 bulbs in front without doing all this please tell me how!

Good news is that I switched the flasher and the rear LEDs flash perfectly, even with the incandescents still in the front. I started her up and got no CEL or anything so I'm going to leave the LED flasher in there for a few days and see if I notice anything out of the ordinary.

Unless someone can give me some advice on how to pull the front 7440's easier, I will leave my OEM bulbs up front. Overall I proved that it is possible to have all your indicators as LED, so that's good. I will get some pics as I put her back together.
Old 12-27-06, 12:18 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=Dabigman;2318739]OK, good and bad news. Bad news is that the procedure to remove the headlights is more than I bargained for so I'm not attempting to change the front bulbs. I would have to take off the entire front bumper, the energy bumper, and the trim fascias just to even get to the bolts for the headlight assembly. Then I'd have to pull the headlight assembly which means I'd have to re-adjust the aim and calibration when I re-install. If anyone has changed their 7440 bulbs in front without doing all this please tell me how!

That is what I figured. I had to do the same to my ES300. However, I did not have to adjust the aim because the bolts are fixed (non adjustable).

Could you detail what you brought with part numbers and the instructions on removing the flasher? I want to do the same.

Thanks!
Old 12-28-06, 06:47 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by Dabigman
Good news is that I switched the flasher and the rear LEDs flash perfectly, even with the incandescents still in the front. I started her up and got no CEL or anything so I'm going to leave the LED flasher in there for a few days and see if I notice anything out of the ordinary.
Dabigman, are you saying you replaced the OEM flasher with the one you posted a pic of above? Please confirm as I would love to try it out on my car even though mine is different from yours.
Old 12-28-06, 07:34 AM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hameed
Dabigman, are you saying you replaced the OEM flasher with the one you posted a pic of above? Please confirm as I would love to try it out on my car even though mine is different from yours.
Yes, I replaced my OEM one (green and blue picture posted earlier) with the one I recently posted.

I bought the stuff from vleds.com but he doesn't list the flasher on his website so I used his Ebay store instead.

I bought the Toyota LED Flasher and Amber HPR bulbs. If you look at the pictures I posted you shouldn't have any trouble making sure you buy the right thing.

I have some pictures but I can't remember my upload account password and the one attachment limit here is too annoying to post like 10 pics.
Old 12-28-06, 07:40 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by Dabigman
Yes, I replaced my OEM one (green and blue picture posted earlier) with the one I recently posted.

I bought the stuff from vleds.com but he doesn't list the flasher on his website so I used his Ebay store instead.

I bought the Toyota LED Flasher and Amber HPR bulbs. If you look at the pictures I posted you shouldn't have any trouble making sure you buy the right thing.

I have some pictures but I can't remember my upload account password and the one attachment limit here is too annoying to post like 10 pics.
Thanks bro!

I guess my first step would be to identify what type of flasher the 99 GS400 has before I find a replacement to use the LED's......

Anybody have any idea what the OEM flasher Part number is for a 99 GS400?
Old 12-28-06, 10:43 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

This is very cool!
Old 12-28-06, 11:07 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
anyone changed the reverse lights to LEDs? Any problems?
i swapped it ou for some 9Led 912 bulb. it works perfectly. you can even see them light up the ground a tiny bit when its dark outside and you put the car in reverse.

Quick Reply: LED Flasher