IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-11, 07:09 PM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only thing you will miss from the BMW is the handling. With sway bars the F-Sport sway bars from sewell Lexus, their is NOTHING you will miss from your 335. My buddy is on his second 335i( first one was lemon'd)(go figure) and when he drove my car when it only had sways, he said " I thought 335's were had way better handling, WHAT GIVES?!" only thing you might miss is the MODibility. BMW's after market is bigger. Also, you can get major power out of the 335, something that will never happen with a 350.

This won't be an issue assuming youre more into reliability then performance according to you're first post. If that's the case, you'll love your Lexus.

Welcome to CL :thumbsup:
Old 04-21-11, 07:16 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's some data for you regarding handling.

Road and Track IS350 (without F-sport sway bars) skidpad = .84 g's
Road and Track IS350 (with F-sport sway bars) skidpad = .89 g's

Road and Track 335i Coupe (MacPherson struts, coil springs, anti-roll bar/multilink,coil springs, tube shocks, anti-roll bar) skidpad = .86 g's
Road and Track 335i Sedan (with "sports package") skidpad = .90 g's
Old 04-21-11, 07:19 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Road and Track IS350 (without F-sport sway bars) slalom = 66.7 MPH
Road and Track IS350 (with F-sport sway bars) slalom = 68.2 MPH

Road and Track 335i Coupe (MacPherson struts, coil springs, anti-roll bar/multilink,coil springs, tube shocks, anti-roll bar) slalom = 66.4 MPH
Road and Track 335i Sedan (with "sports package") slalom = 68.7 MPH
Old 04-21-11, 07:20 PM
dawiyo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for the quick responses. MiiK350, you're right. My biggest thing coming away from this BMW is reliability. I'm not looking to do any performance mods to the IS and I didn't do any to the BMW.

About the handling: Honestly, I was never impressed with my sedan's handling. Maybe it's cause I don't have the sport package but I've never really been comfortable pushing this car. I felt my WRX with springs did A LOT better job. Maybe it was because I had AWD for 5 years, I don't know.

I'm now trying to do my research so I don't kick myself in the butt later on for not getting something. I'm researching audio options as it's kinda hard to find a used car with the ML package. Any suggestions on certain years that may have been better than others?
Old 04-21-11, 07:35 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Phresh2010
couple of misconceptions here,

yes there is a supercharger for the IS350 but very few, lms makes a super charger and as i recall isuxel was selling his and it has proven to be realiable but the gains were only about 50 rwhp? not sure about that mayb someone can chime in, also you cant run a too high of a psi cuz of the compression ratio

and you can get tighter steering for the is350 by buying a is-f steering damper from sewell for about 26 bucks and it will become a lot tighter (anyone who has driven an is-f can tell you there is a difference)
If you want better performance, get an IS-F. Don't waste money on trying to soup up a 350.

I've had my '06 350 for about a year now and can't say enough good things about it.

Last edited by anthrax144; 04-21-11 at 08:58 PM. Reason: typo - oops
Old 04-21-11, 07:56 PM
MDOTM
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by syzygy
There is no way to make the IS350 appreciably faster than it is in stock form. There's no chip for the IS350. There are no robust turbos/superchargers available for the IS350. If ability to make your car faster is important to you, then the IS350 is a poor choice. If you're fine with the 0 to 60 in 4.9 seconds and 1/4 mile in 13.5 seconds that the IS350 offers in stock form, then the IS350 is a fine choice as far as straight line performance goes.

In stock form without F-sport sway bars, the IS350 appears to have significantly more body roll than the 335i in stock form. When you slap on F-sport sway bars, this deficiency is largely mitigated. Pay close attention to steering/handling differences when (if) you test drive the IS350. Many ex-BMW owners complain about the IS350's handling and loose steering feel.

The paddles in the IS350 are not paddle shifters. For all intents and purposes, you are getting a fully automatic car with the IS350. If you want paddle shifters, you have to look at the ISF.

The biggest potential issues the IS350 might give have to do with things like creaks/noises/rattles inside the cabin. For some individuals, these rattles/creaks/noises are inexcusable. Others (myself included) are not as sensitive to these maladies. I've had occasional creaks within the cabin and it hasn't bothered me much. There was a stretch of about a week in cold weather when I had an extremely frustrating rattling noise within the cabin, but it went away on its own.

The engine/transmission in the IS350 is relatively bullet proof. You're not going to constantly go to the dealer for CELs or fuel pump failures or other "electronic gremlins." In this regard, the IS350 is far more reliable than the 335i.

That's my fair and unbiased synopsis of the IS350's major flaws. I figure others on this board will let you know about the IS350's strengths so I won't bother to mention them here. Overall, I am extremely pleased with my IS350 and will be keeping it for many years to come.
excellent post
Old 04-21-11, 10:38 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

When I was shopping for my IS, I really wanted one with navigation and Mark Levinson, which is a very reputable name in the audio world. I ended up getting one with neither. I don't miss the navigation so much, but I really wish I got ML package. I have yet to hear it first hand, but from what I've read, it's quite the upgrade. Stock IS system isn't too bad at all (surprisingly good as a stock system), which leaves me to wonder how much better the ML upgrade is.
Old 04-21-11, 10:45 PM
MDOTM
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kumquatism
When I was shopping for my IS, I really wanted one with navigation and Mark Levinson, which is a very reputable name in the audio world. I ended up getting one with neither. I don't miss the navigation so much, but I really wish I got ML package. I have yet to hear it first hand, but from what I've
read, it's quite the upgrade.
Stock IS system isn't too bad at
all (surprisingly good as a stock
system), which leaves me to
wonder how much better the ML
upgrade is.
I rather not hear it lol,as im also a non ML IS owner.
Old 04-21-11, 11:36 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 163 Likes on 96 Posts

It doesn't sound like the guy's priority is speed or handling. He's more interested in reliability. I think for what the IS350 is, it's plenty fast for the average driver and of course the reliability is fantastic. A good move if you do.
Old 04-21-11, 11:52 PM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

I've OWNED both base stereo and ML, and I'm going to be called crazy I know it, but I think the base stereo sounds better. Currently, in my 350, I have the ML. My stock sub blew 4 times. I admit, I like my music loud, but in my 250(w/ base stereo) I could blare my music constantly and not worry about the bass crapping out on me. With my 350, if I put it 75% of what my 350 could handle it would sound distorted and sooner then later it would blow.

After the last time it blew and got it replaced under warranty, I had an aftermarket sub installed and my stock ML disconnected so it doesn't blow, again.
Old 04-22-11, 12:25 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

iirc, ML was not offered as a stand-alone option on the is350; it was offered as a combination w/ the GPS navigation (at least on the MY2006 it was combo'd). as such, trying to find an ML + non-nav is350 may prove harder than finding an ML + nav is350. even then, the ML + nav is350 is a bit hard to find. be patient, and something will pop up.

best of luck to the OP, and keep us updated. hopefully we'll see you in the 2is section more often.
Old 04-22-11, 02:29 AM
andrewshu3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Heh, you should go get a land rover defender. 26 mpg, runs on biodiesel. if i had to buy any one car right now id get one of those. www.eastcoastrover.com
completely different cars i know, just daydreaming here..
Old 04-22-11, 02:45 AM
dsadsauser
Pole Position

I never owned the 335i, but I did test drive the M3. This sounds crazy, but the seats in the IS350, to me, are leaps and bounds better. I'm sure this is not tops on your list, but the texture of the seats feel like heaven. It may sound weird, but youll see what i mean. As far as which year model to buy, its not such a huge factor. The 09 and above give you an easier way to disable traction control, and 2010 and up no longer uses a DVD for the nav- all HDD. Coming from a 370 AWHP STi, the IS350 has plenty of power. I don't miss it... At all. Get a couple F-Sport options and call it a day. Your car will never break down and the fellow Lexus owners are always the nicest people on earth. With an exhaust and intake, most people are able to get to 13 seconds in the QM. I ran a 13.6 in close to 90 degree weather completely stock. Not too horrible.
Old 04-22-11, 04:24 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
iirc, ML was not offered as a stand-alone option on the is350; it was offered as a combination w/ the GPS navigation (at least on the MY2006 it was combo'd). as such, trying to find an ML + non-nav is350 may prove harder than finding an ML + nav is350. even then, the ML + nav is350 is a bit hard to find. be patient, and something will pop up.
Incorrect... ML without nav (at least up until 2011) was an available option.

However, they didn't actually prebuild any that way.

It was only available as a special order.

(ask me how I know )

Originally Posted by MiiK350
I've OWNED both base stereo and ML, and I'm going to be called crazy I know it, but I think the base stereo sounds better. Currently, in my 350, I have the ML. My stock sub blew 4 times. I admit, I like my music loud, but in my 250(w/ base stereo) I could blare my music constantly and not worry about the bass crapping out on me. With my 350, if I put it 75% of what my 350 could handle it would sound distorted and sooner then later it would blow.
Ok, you're crazy.

When I get a non-ML loaner I have to turn it to NPR because music is painful to hear without ML.

The ML sub is blow-prone at high volumes, but I don't turn mine up above 30 pretty much ever (which is PLENTY loud with the windows up) and after 3.5 years of ownership have yet to blow the sub.
Old 04-22-11, 04:48 AM
Tulsa1
Rookie

Originally Posted by MiiK350
I've OWNED both base stereo and ML, and I'm going to be called crazy I know it, but I think the base stereo sounds better.
Your not crazy, your ears prefer blasting audio over quality audio.
It's much easier to blast a lower dynamic range and minimize distortion.
ML was not designed for waking the dead
You will regret all those years of loud music when you get older.
I'm reminded how much I love my ML everytime I get a loaner without.

Quick Reply: The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)