IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-10, 11:21 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Rising2010
Interestingly I would have to say that the interior of the BMW 3 series is more luxurious in comparison to that of the IS250. Frankly, ive seen JMD Corollas and Corolla variants with more luxurious interiors than the IS250.
Maybe it's not true for all, but my friends '07 328i's interior looks awful in comparison to the 2IS, IMO. The orange glow of the gauges at night especially make my feel like it's so out-dated.

Maybe they arent all like that? But this one was. Not to mention the rest of the interior i felt was lacking. Also, just my $0.02.

Still, i feel both are highly respected, and until you have issues (with either Lexus or BMW), you will love the car you chose.
Old 09-13-10, 12:33 PM
Fujifuzz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

PERSONAL OPINION

Okay here's my 2 cents:

If it's buying a BMW, Mercedes, Infiniti or Lexus...it's the actual indivduals choice on what they want. You always hear people bashing one car or the other.

In my eyes, it's just like BlackJack and sitting at a full table. You don't do what the book says, and do whatever you feel like doing. This is our hard earned money, and you should be able to do whatever you want with it. Hit, stay, split...whatever, you earned it...some people voice there opinions to openly....

BMW, Mercedes, Infiniti or Lexus...what ever pleases you.

This is for those bashing one car or another, or those telling people what to do at a blackjack table when it's not your money.
Old 09-13-10, 02:18 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Fujifuzz
PERSONAL OPINION

Okay here's my 2 cents:

If it's buying a BMW, Mercedes, Infiniti or Lexus...it's the actual indivduals choice on what they want. You always hear people bashing one car or the other.

In my eyes, it's just like BlackJack and sitting at a full table. You don't do what the book says, and do whatever you feel like doing. This is our hard earned money, and you should be able to do whatever you want with it. Hit, stay, split...whatever, you earned it...some people voice there opinions to openly....

BMW, Mercedes, Infiniti or Lexus...what ever pleases you.

This is for those bashing one car or another, or those telling people what to do at a blackjack table when it's not your money.
In fairness though, to carry through your analogy, if I see someone at the blackjack table consistently hitting on 20, when the dealer has a 9 showing, while he certainly has the right to do so with his own money, I retain the right to think his judgment is...poor
Old 09-13-10, 02:19 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1

Drive both, evaluate the impact on your pocket now and in the future (total cost of ownership), use (with kids or not), after market support, and most importantly do you feel any love for the car when you are at the helm.
Old 09-13-10, 02:34 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, need to feel the love.
Old 09-13-10, 07:48 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

guess what....

I was out testing cars for a friend who is looking to buy a a fairly new preowned car.
Went to Carmax as a starting point. Took out a 2009 BMW 328i coupe for a test drive.
Nice seats, good space front and back. Awful acceleration feel. Car doesn't feel like it wants to go when you push the gas pedal. Takes it sweet time getting to speed. reminded me of why I did not feel the love for a bimmer.
Old 09-13-10, 10:57 PM
daniel3ooo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would no doubt get an e92 335i Coupe over an IS350. I use to own a 335i coupe and they are very fun to drive and I think they look VERY sleek. If you are looking for a fast car that can be very fast for <$500 and looks very very good, IMO, you can't go wrong with the e92 335i.
Old 09-13-10, 11:15 PM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by daniel3ooo
I would no doubt get an e92 335i Coupe over an IS350. I use to own a 335i coupe and they are very fun to drive and I think they look VERY sleek. If you are looking for a fast car that can be very fast for <$500 and looks very very good, IMO, you can't go wrong with the e92 335i.
Agreed. Love how the Coupes Look.
Interior could use an upgprade though.
I would love an '11 e92 335i
Old 04-21-11, 06:27 PM
dawiyo
Driver School Candidate

Default From a 335i to an IS350 - Would love some advice

Hi guys,

Soon I'll be trading in my '07 335i for an IS350. It's been a lot of fun to drive, when it's not at the dealer getting fixed. Nothing too major besides the fuel pump, but a million little things go wrong. For example, right now, I picked it up today after getting a wheel bearing replaced. Started it up in the service lane, check engine light. Bad oxygen sensor. My warranty runs out in July and there's NO WAY I'm keeping this thing without it.

So I'd love to hear some opinions from folks that have come from a 335i/BMW in general. What do you like better about the IS or what you miss?

Thanks,

Dave
Old 04-21-11, 06:42 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Best thing to do is test drive one. This way u will know first hand what u like and don't like
Old 04-21-11, 06:43 PM
king06
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will definately enjoy the outstanding reliability!
Old 04-21-11, 06:49 PM
CarbonDtls
Lead Lap

BMWs are so common. I probably see 20-25 a day while I might see only 1-2 IS a day. Oh yea reliability is huge.
Old 04-21-11, 06:54 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no way to make the IS350 appreciably faster than it is in stock form. There's no chip for the IS350. There are no robust turbos/superchargers available for the IS350. If ability to make your car faster is important to you, then the IS350 is a poor choice. If you're fine with the 0 to 60 in 4.9 seconds and 1/4 mile in 13.5 seconds that the IS350 offers in stock form, then the IS350 is a fine choice as far as straight line performance goes.

In stock form without F-sport sway bars, the IS350 appears to have significantly more body roll than the 335i in stock form. When you slap on F-sport sway bars, this deficiency is largely mitigated. Pay close attention to steering/handling differences when (if) you test drive the IS350. Many ex-BMW owners complain about the IS350's handling and loose steering feel.

The paddles in the IS350 are not paddle shifters. For all intents and purposes, you are getting a fully automatic car with the IS350. If you want paddle shifters, you have to look at the ISF.

The biggest potential issues the IS350 might give have to do with things like creaks/noises/rattles inside the cabin. For some individuals, these rattles/creaks/noises are inexcusable. Others (myself included) are not as sensitive to these maladies. I've had occasional creaks within the cabin and it hasn't bothered me much. There was a stretch of about a week in cold weather when I had an extremely frustrating rattling noise within the cabin, but it went away on its own.

The engine/transmission in the IS350 is relatively bullet proof. You're not going to constantly go to the dealer for CELs or fuel pump failures or other "electronic gremlins." In this regard, the IS350 is far more reliable than the 335i.

That's my fair and unbiased synopsis of the IS350's major flaws. I figure others on this board will let you know about the IS350's strengths so I won't bother to mention them here. Overall, I am extremely pleased with my IS350 and will be keeping it for many years to come.
Old 04-21-11, 07:01 PM
Phresh2010
Instructor

Received 132 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by syzygy
There is no way to make the IS350 appreciably faster than it is in stock form. There's no chip for the IS350. There are no robust turbos/superchargers available for the IS350. If ability to make your car faster is important to you, then the IS350 is a poor choice. If you're fine with the 0 to 60 in 4.9 seconds and 1/4 mile in 13.5 seconds that the IS350 offers in stock form, then the IS350 is a fine choice as far as straight line performance goes.

In stock form without F-sport sway bars, the IS350 appears to have significantly more body roll than the 335i in stock form. When you slap on F-sport sway bars, this deficiency is largely mitigated. Pay close attention to steering/handling differences when (if) you test drive the IS350. Many ex-BMW owners complain about the IS350's handling and loose steering feel.

The paddles in the IS350 are not paddle shifters. For all intents and purposes, you are getting a fully automatic car with the IS350. If you want paddle shifters, you have to look at the ISF.

The biggest potential issues the IS350 might give have to do with things like creaks/noises/rattles inside the cabin. For some individuals, these rattles/creaks/noises are inexcusable. Others (myself included) are not as sensitive to these maladies. I've had occasional creaks within the cabin and it hasn't bothered me much. There was a stretch of about a week in cold weather when I had an extremely frustrating rattling noise within the cabin, but it went away on its own.

The engine/transmission in the IS350 is relatively bullet proof. You're not going to constantly go to the dealer for CELs or fuel pump failures or other "electronic gremlins." In this regard, the IS350 is far more reliable than the 335i.

That's my fair and unbiased synopsis of the IS350's major flaws. I figure others on this board will let you know about the IS350's strengths so I won't bother to mention them here. Overall, I am extremely pleased with my IS350 and will be keeping it for many years to come.
couple of misconceptions here,

yes there is a supercharger for the IS350 but very few, lms makes a super charger and as i recall isuxel was selling his and it has proven to be realiable but the gains were only about 50 rwhp? not sure about that mayb someone can chime in, also you cant run a too high of a psi cuz of the compression ratio

and you can get tighter steering for the is350 by buying a is-f steering damper from sewell for about 26 bucks and it will become a lot tighter (anyone who has driven an is-f can tell you there is a difference)
Old 04-21-11, 07:07 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phresh2010
couple of misconceptions here,

yes there is a supercharger for the IS350 but very few, lms makes a super charger and as i recall isuxel was selling his and it has proven to be realiable but the gains were only about 50 rwhp? not sure about that mayb someone can chime in, also you cant run a too high of a psi cuz of the compression ratio

and you can get tighter steering for the is350 by buying a is-f steering damper from sewell for about 26 bucks and it will become a lot tighter (anyone who has driven an is-f can tell you there is a difference)
There's no misconception here. To cite the LMS supercharger as if it's a viable option for the IS350 is to be dishonest, in my opinion. Let's say you wanted to purchase an LMS supercharger kit right now at this very moment. What would you do?

You can't purchase one. They don't make them anymore. There are something like 5 LMS superchargers in existence for the IS350 and many people have had major issues.

There's probably one person on this entire forum (iSuxeL) who has a supercharged IS350 without (allegedly) any major problems.

And by the way, the LMS supercharger offered a horrendous cost/performance ratio when compared to the variety of chips available for the 335i. You'd be better off trading in for an ISF.

Quick Reply: The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)