IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 Tire Change - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-06, 06:05 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have them on my IS. Ride is a bit quieter, car doesn't wander on grated road, better wet performance., handling seems the same. My guess is that you can probably get an extra 5-10k out of the tires. Ride is a little different but I seem to be taking all the turns at the same speeds I did before, faster in the rain with the A/S.

Other tire to look at is the Pirelli P Zero Nero. Cheaper and seems to have very good reviews too.
Old 12-13-06, 07:17 PM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tazdevl
Have them on my IS. Ride is a bit quieter, car doesn't wander on grated road, better wet performance., handling seems the same. My guess is that you can probably get an extra 5-10k out of the tires. Ride is a little different but I seem to be taking all the turns at the same speeds I did before, faster in the rain with the A/S.

Other tire to look at is the Pirelli P Zero Nero. Cheaper and seems to have very good reviews too.

Could you post a pic of your IS w/these tires...?
Old 12-13-06, 11:31 PM
SeattLexus
Driver School Candidate

I have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires on my IS350 Sport.

The ride is excellent. Car feels very balanced and the tires give the ride a 'planted' feel. I enjoy driving the IS much much more now.

In the rain, it cuts right though the water with no problem. We had snow and ice in the Seattle area a few weeks ago. I had no problem negotiating hills and backroads in about 4 to 5 inches of snow. VDIM kicked in a lot, but I was glad to have it during that time. The combination of the tires, VDIM and traction control worked in my favor.

As far as performance in the dry - I did not notice any major difference in handling. So I don't feel I lost anything in that arena. Oh and the tires don't produce as much road noise as the Pirellis. BONUS.
Old 12-14-06, 05:59 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Some favorable reviews for these tires. I have had good luck w/running Michelin's myself [usually Pilot MXM4's] - so I think I'll get myself a set of these A/S w/my IS350 comes in.

Anyone want the factory set off my IS350 w/I take delivery [sport package]...?
Old 12-14-06, 05:15 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SeattLexus
We had snow and ice in the Seattle area a few weeks ago. I had no problem negotiating hills and backroads in about 4 to 5 inches of snow. VDIM kicked in a lot, but I was glad to have it during that time. The combination of the tires, VDIM and traction control worked in my favor.
That's encouraging, as I too was thinking about switching to the Pilot A/S. Did you encounter many hills with them in the snow? I'm in a hilly midwestern climate and fear I'll get stuck like man others who tried to go the all-season route. Hmmm. I'd hate to go that route and still have big problems in the snow. But hate the expense of two sets of wheels/tires.
Old 12-14-06, 06:56 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Default which dealer?

Which dealer in NC did you decide to order from Mlevinson? Yeah, I live in VA, but we get a good bit of snow here in the Southwestern part of the state as compared to the NOVA boys. I don't plan to change tires, the Dunlops on the IS are just fine. I Plan to use the Michelin M&S LTX's on the Ram and the Montero and the Goodyear MTR's on the Jeep in the winter. Ol Lex dosn't go out in inclement weather. No salt getting on its frame. If your close I might be interested in you summer tires.

Tip for you winter drivers, I seen on the Jeep message board that if you put boiled linseed oil on your frame and brake lines, it protects them from the salt. You have to apply every year, but there seemed to be a few people that swear by it. I think I might try it on the Ram, will let you know how it goes.

Originally Posted by MLevinson
Some favorable reviews for these tires. I have had good luck w/running Michelin's myself [usually Pilot MXM4's] - so I think I'll get myself a set of these A/S w/my IS350 comes in.

Old 12-14-06, 07:50 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GreyHound
Tip for you winter drivers, I seen on the Jeep message board that if you put boiled linseed oil on your frame and brake lines, it protects them from the salt. You have to apply every year, but there seemed to be a few people that swear by it. I think I might try it on the Ram, will let you know how it goes.
Very interesting. Now I gotta google linseed oil. Geeze, the whole frame? that could be a lot of oil! Just apply it like paint?
Old 12-15-06, 05:26 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Which dealer in NC did you decide to order from Mlevinson? .....No salt getting on its frame. If your close I might be interested in you summer tires.
I purchased my IS350 up in NY [Dorschel Lexus] - that is my home residence. I'm in NC for extended periods of time for Business. I'm having the tires swapped before delievery so they will be brand new - I'll keep you in mind w/the time comes.

...will LoveCaulk work just as well...?

Last edited by MLevinson; 12-15-06 at 07:28 AM.
Old 12-15-06, 05:36 PM
rnpjstewar
Driver School Candidate

I just had pilot a/s installed on my 06 350 is..
21000 on the Dunlaps and they were shot...
A/s has a 400 tread rating maybe I can get 30 k on these tires...
Old 12-15-06, 07:37 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MLevinson
Wait, are you offering to sell your tires or rims? I'm needing some rims for the winter!