IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Mod with most HP gain?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-06, 05:54 PM
flaunty
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mod with most HP gain?

Lets admit it, the IS250 is too slow and it gets annoying sometimes when you're messing around and practically any other car in the price range is somewhat faster. Since I heard there is no chipping, I'm thinking about getting a new exhaust first (possibly HKS). So Club Lexus, what are some mods available that gives decent HP gains, along with the pricing, as well as the mod that gives the most hp in general. I'm not looking for something TOO pricey, but all replies are welcome.
Old 11-19-06, 06:00 PM
TheNewGuy
Pole Position

I'm not sure on the price of the HKS but saw one at a dealer for $1399, I know the Tanabe is only $600 and should give around the same HP gains. Other than that $6K would have got you 100 more ponies .
Old 11-19-06, 06:14 PM
flaunty
Rookie

Originally Posted by TheNewGuy
I'm not sure on the price of the HKS but saw one at a dealer for $1399, I know the Tanabe is only $600 and should give around the same HP gains. Other than that $6K would have got you 100 more ponies .
Hmm.. I know there is a Tanabe for the 350, but from what I remember on their site last time I checked it said the one for the 250 is TBA. Is there a difference between the two when it comes to installation on the 250?
Old 11-19-06, 06:36 PM
TheNewGuy
Pole Position

Oh, didn't know that, thought i heard it was out.
Old 11-20-06, 06:36 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Without going with forced induction, I imagine the best bang for the buck mod would be a piggy-back ECU.
Old 11-20-06, 06:50 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

What do you consider a decent gain in HP? If we were going by my definition of a decent gain (5-10% over stock)..then no mod right now would be suitable, given the current prices.
Old 11-20-06, 07:09 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I consider a decent gain to be anything more than 1 HP per $100.
Old 11-20-06, 07:17 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Weight reduction can also be considered at about 13 lbs = 1 hp for an IS350 and about 18 lbs = 1 hp for an IS250.
Old 11-20-06, 07:20 AM
Crazy Yoda
Pole Position

Get a JoeZ intake and a new filter as well as exhaust and headers. Take out the secondary air filter as well.

JoeZ
http://my.is/store/customer/product....&cat=47&page=1

I use the Blinz filter but you can go with HKS or K&N as well..

Blinz Filter
http://my.is/store/customer/product.php?productid=328

HKS Filter
http://my.is/store/customer/product.php?productid=326

K&N Filter
http://www.hopupracing.com/knreairfilei.html

Here it says the Tenabe is for the IS250/350...have to check it out..
http://www.hopupracing.com/tametoexleis.html

Here is the Megan racing exhaust (cat back)
http://www.hopupracing.com/meracasyoele.html

Here is the Megan racing headers for the IS250
http://www.hopupracing.com/meraheleis06.html

Personally I would do the following...JoeZ, Blinz Filter, Tenabe Exaust, Megan racing Headers.

200 for the JoeZ+Blinz Combo (just got a set)
560 for the Tenabe
380 for the Headers

Total cost: $1140 shipped

If you do the math the JoeZ is worth 6hp and the Teanbe+Headers shold be good for at least 10hp (imo). thats 16hp. Its not alot but it should help. All for less than the cost of the HKS exhaust installed at the dealer iF you do most of the work yourself. The only issue would be the header installation. But the cost of that should not be too bad at a local speed shop with a lift.
Old 11-20-06, 07:29 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

you mean a blitz filter?
Old 11-20-06, 07:37 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I am not an IS owner. (Though I am trying to get my cousin some help in buying a used IS300) However, I spent a lot of time modding my RX300, my cousin's Golf VR6 and a raft of vehicles that show up my 1/4 mile track who happen to stop by my uncle's shop. I am at high altitude, 7,411 feet where the track is and in a 3rd world country, thus trying to get the most hp/$$$ is a must.

Short of forced induction (which may or may not be the best hp/$$$), exhaust modifications (my favorites based on my experiences).
1. Direct Flow muffler
2. Enlarging the piping diameter from the engine block
3. Headers (I prefer long-tube to short tube), but this costly. Megan Racing, just like for the IS250, is trying to fabricate the 1MZFE headers for Solara owners that should fit my RX300 (we don't know).

As far an ECU, if they are done right, they also can give a very good bang for the buck. A key thing to keep in mind is that they are tuned for your modifications. I plan to get a Jet Performance chip (I don't have many options for mine) and/or Greddy eManage. However, my cousin has a Sportchip for his Golf that works excellent now, but a friend also with a Golf VR6 with the same chip who installed it before a custom turbo modification has suffered miserably. So timing is everything.

I have also found a great little mod are TorqueMaster Spark Plugs. Are friends at L-Tuned sell these and they definitely burned the crap gas I had to deal with for so many years down here.

I am not aware that they make pulleys yet for the IS250.
Old 11-20-06, 07:43 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I don't think pulleys will offer much for a 2IS, since the A/C compressor shuts off at full throttle, and our power steering is electronic (no pump).
Old 11-20-06, 02:52 PM
flaunty
Rookie

I think I am going to go ahead and go with an exhaust/intake and air filter as well, but which two make the best combo as far as sound goes and HP gain. There are too many mixed answers for me to truly be able to make a decision. I was leaning towards the Tanabe exhaust, but the sound isn't much different from stock. I want something a little meaner and louder, but not ridiculously loud.
Old 11-20-06, 03:40 PM
iStyle
Driver

Just don't purchase anything from the my.IS store. It's a complete joke.
Old 11-20-06, 04:27 PM
TheNewGuy
Pole Position

I have the Tanabe trust me it sounds mean. Its not loud during normal driving but when you get on it, it sound like a pissed off cougar

Quick Reply: Mod with most HP gain?