IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Head gasket problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-06, 02:24 PM
JamRWS6
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head gasket problem

I have been having a minor oil leak on the IS350 since new. I first noticed it around 2000 miles. Took it in and they find a metal line running from the pan up to the upper engine area that they thought was the problem (not the dipstick). I found more oil on the garage floor last week so I jack up the car and see the same line with oil on it. Took it back to Sewell thinking perhaps the fitting is leaking. Wrong! I get a call while eating lunch at Railhead BBQ and they tell me it is the head gasket. Needless to say my appetite went away after hearing that news. Car now has 5000 miles on it. Looks like it was the head gasket the whole time. Service advisor apologized for the problem and couldn't believe it had failed. Anyone else having oil leaks? The plastic pans under the engine had caught most of the leaking oil keeping me from discovering it sooner. Very disappointed!
Old 11-05-06, 07:16 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that's not good, hopefully an isolated incident.
Old 11-05-06, 07:18 PM
viettho
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sucks. Look at the lemon law to see if you are qualified. Dawn, you are are new. I wouldn't want anything happen to it.
Old 11-05-06, 08:01 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by viettho
that sucks. Look at the lemon law to see if you are qualified. Dawn, you are are new. I wouldn't want anything happen to it.
Whoa, lemon law doesn't apply at this point. The dealer has several opportunities to fix the problem. From what has been described the dealer hasn't shirked its duties in tackling the problem, just misdiagnosed the problem. That's not surprising since you just don't hear of leaking gaskets on most modern engines these days. Let them redo the gasket and then keep an eye on it. If it leaks again there is a more serious problem with a warped head or block.
Old 11-05-06, 09:49 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

It's been several months since I've looked under the hood of my car, but over 18k miles on mine and no oil on the garage floor. I may pop the hood later tonight or tomorrow and take a closer look, but i'm pretty sure I'm ok.
Old 02-17-07, 12:55 PM
macaide
Driver School Candidate

I don't know if this helps anyone or if the 07 Camry V6 has the same engine as the new IS350, but I just took my 07 Camry V6 in for its first 5,000 mile oil change and was told then of an oil leak. I was told the front seal had to be replaced. I haven't picked the car back up yet, but hope this is the end of my problems.
Old 02-17-07, 01:19 PM
l1tech
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
I have been having a minor oil leak on the IS350 since new. I first noticed it around 2000 miles. Took it in and they find a metal line running from the pan up to the upper engine area that they thought was the problem (not the dipstick). I found more oil on the garage floor last week so I jack up the car and see the same line with oil on it. Took it back to Sewell thinking perhaps the fitting is leaking. Wrong! I get a call while eating lunch at Railhead BBQ and they tell me it is the head gasket. Needless to say my appetite went away after hearing that news. Car now has 5000 miles on it. Looks like it was the head gasket the whole time. Service advisor apologized for the problem and couldn't believe it had failed. Anyone else having oil leaks? The plastic pans under the engine had caught most of the leaking oil keeping me from discovering it sooner. Very disappointed!
The car is under warranty so why sweat it, let em replace the head gasket and keep enjoying the car. Just remember that these are machines and will from time to time develop problems, there is nothing you can do to change that.
Old 02-08-17, 10:33 PM
mitsuboost
Rookie

Sorry to bring this up from the dead but i have a small oil leak on the right side valve cover and below it. It's not extreme but it looks like a sweat that would almost come from blow by pressure. Car has 120,000k. Anyone ever experience this problem? Thanks for reading
Old 12-31-17, 11:48 AM
ManuelFdz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mitsuboost
Sorry to bring this up from the dead but i have a small oil leak on the right side valve cover and below it. It's not extreme but it looks like a sweat that would almost come from blow by pressure. Car has 120,000k. Anyone ever experience this problem? Thanks for reading
i am at this moment going thru a Gasket replacement, my car has 120,000 miles, go to my post to see the picture, and all i went thru to know it was a bad head gasket

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post10057109