IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Asl?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-06, 02:56 PM
inecstaz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Asl?

So does anyone really notice the volume change with ASL? I mean, i see it show the volume increasing, but i dont notice anything. Also, it says that it will increase the volume with increased interior noise... however sometimes, even with the windows down and moonroof open, it wont raise the volume.

does anyone know how it works, or if theres a mic or something?
Old 11-03-06, 03:10 PM
Fleainat
Pole Position

i dunno, but i was wondering the same thing... i don't notice it either.

on my mom's 2002 ES300 i could definitely notice it and it seemed to be directly related to the speed of the car rather than the interior sound
Old 11-03-06, 03:11 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

Same here. Don't notice a thing. I could care less because I adjust the volume so much via the steering wheel that is has become second nature. I do wonder if the feature works however.
Old 11-03-06, 03:14 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Automatic Sound Levelizer...it measures how many people are in the car, what speed your traveling at, what type of clothing passengers are wearing surrounding noise levels and adjusts the sound accordingly...and on wednesday's it brews hot fresh coffee for you, and takes care of your illegitimate children
Old 11-03-06, 05:07 PM
Jatt
Driver

lol owned by NOVA
Old 11-03-06, 05:18 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't notice because it isn't suppost to be noticable. Not sure if they have a real formula but as cabin noise increases, the volume increases(but not by much). I like my medium of 30 yet when I turn the **** to 30 on the highway I notice that is isn't sufficient enough. Sure enough to checked later and it's at 34-36 on highway when I orginally put it at 30 as I pull out of my garage.
Old 11-03-06, 08:44 PM
r1lee
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Julez
You don't notice because it isn't suppost to be noticable. Not sure if they have a real formula but as cabin noise increases, the volume increases(but not by much). I like my medium of 30 yet when I turn the **** to 30 on the highway I notice that is isn't sufficient enough. Sure enough to checked later and it's at 34-36 on highway when I orginally put it at 30 as I pull out of my garage.

I don't notice it on the IS either, but on our RX330 I can tell when the ASL kicks in or not.
Old 11-03-06, 10:19 PM
inecstaz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Julez
So you're saying that you set the volume to 30... drive on the freeway... ASL activates... and then you look to see the volume is now at 34?

Mine never increases in number, it just shows the little notches on the ASL level go up... but the actual volume number doesnt increase for me...
Old 11-03-06, 10:42 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you stare at it, it will move. LOL
Old 11-04-06, 02:55 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

I thought mine didn't work, too. I'm not even sure it applies to the radio??? Maybe it applies only to the Nav-lady's voice???
Old 11-04-06, 02:57 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

I think ASL is constantly working when you have the audio system on.
Old 11-04-06, 10:17 PM
GrantK
8th Gear

Mine is working. It isn't REALLY noticeable, but it is increasing the volume. I did a test where I set the volume to a low setting (maybe 15-20). I started my car in our underground parking garage at work. As I drove through the garage, there was a sudden and perceptible increase in volume (assuming you are actually trying to hear it). I was only going around 20km/h (approx 12 mph).

I think if you are not really trying to listen for the increase in volume, you will probably not hear it. You have to try to listen for the increase in order to actually notice it.

Based upon my experiences, it isn't really a useful feature.
Old 11-05-06, 12:09 AM
Phillip31
Pole Position

ASL is useless to me because it only works when u set the volume at low to medium settings...anywhere between 0 to like 40....whenever i put the volume in that range i could see the ASL notches go up and down but not really noticing the difference...i usually listen to my music at volume 50-55 with my ipod using the dock connector....and i see NO ASL notches at that high volume level
Old 11-05-06, 04:00 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

After reading this, I started my car, set the radio vol to 26, drove to the freeway, got up to 70mph, checked the volume number - it was still 26. Opened the moonroof; still 26. Checked the ASL screen to see that it was still "on", and it was. There appears to be about 4 or 5 little steps on the volume bar of that screen and two of them were lighted. They never changed. So, do I understand correctly, that the ASL increases the volume without actually changing the volume number?
Old 11-05-06, 04:29 PM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

24/m/ca

=)

Quick Reply: Asl?