Just got quoted by my local dealer...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-06, 07:20 PM
Mikes12985
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
Ya, read my post...

"The Spoiler and preferred package, and other dealer "installed" options, don't factor those into the price as much since you can get them from many online sources for invoice cost."

I was looking at the price without dealer accessories.
oh ok i didnt catch on to that when reading it...yes then that would make sense...mike
Old 09-13-06, 07:56 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikes12985
You mean the car for the dealer getting it is 31,980 MSRP because when from lexus it says 35,???
huh?!? LOL.
Old 09-13-06, 09:08 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Ya, read my post...

"The Spoiler and preferred package, and other dealer "installed" options, don't factor those into the price as much since you can get them from many online sources for invoice cost."

I was looking at the price without dealer accessories.
Don't agree. MSRP is MSRP, you don't discount retail just because you can get it cheaper online. Besides, even if you get a great deal off ebay, someone has to install it, so where's the hidden labor cost (even if you self install) Besides, if you get the accessories installed at time of purchase, they are automatically covered in the Basic 4yr/50k warranty, not so with accessories bought & installed after delivery (12mo/12k only). . .
Old 09-13-06, 10:27 PM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by socalJD
Well, I'm not an accountant, but it seems to me that 39,732 - 34,995 = 4,737 which is alot closer to 4,700 than 3.7k, must be that new math they're teaching kids nowadays . . .
sorry there was a miscommunication. was basing my math off of the original post.
"$38,442.00. I am offering this vehicle to you at a special Internet Price of only $34,995.00!"
Old 09-14-06, 05:42 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't agree. MSRP is MSRP, you don't discount retail just because you can get it cheaper online. Besides, even if you get a great deal off ebay, someone has to install it, so where's the hidden labor cost (even if you self install) Besides, if you get the accessories installed at time of purchase, they are automatically covered in the Basic 4yr/50k warranty, not so with accessories bought & installed after delivery (12mo/12k only). . .
Please, like there is any need to have a warranty on the wheel locks, cargo net, floor mats, or non-led spoiler...
Old 09-14-06, 10:17 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Please, like there is any need to have a warranty on the wheel locks, cargo net, floor mats, or non-led spoiler...
Maybe not to you, since you're hell bent to tear into your Nav and splice wires, but to 99% of the other owners out there, the peace of mind has value. I know folks that don't like to haggle, negotiate or confront issues, they just put gas in their cars and drive. They don't want to find the rock bottom price on the net for a spoiler or floor mats just to save a few bucks, they'd rather have it all in the car at time of purchase and not think twice about it. You presented your view, I presented another, it's up to the OP to decide which matters most . . .
Old 09-14-06, 10:32 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Maybe not to you, since you're hell bent to tear into your Nav and splice wires, but to 99% of the other owners out there, the peace of mind has value. I know folks that don't like to haggle, negotiate or confront issues, they just put gas in their cars and drive. They don't want to find the rock bottom price on the net for a spoiler or floor mats just to save a few bucks, they'd rather have it all in the car at time of purchase and not think twice about it. You presented your view, I presented another, it's up to the OP to decide which matters most . . .
So you are saying that you feel better having a warranty on your floor mats?
Old 09-14-06, 11:00 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

I don't have all weather mats (or the spoiler), but I do have the preferred pkg, came w/the IS. Since it's included w/the negotiated price of the car, I couldn't have done better if I bought it on ebay and put it in myself . . .

I fall somewhere inbetween you & the nonconfrontationalist, I won't pay full retail, but I'm not gonna spend alot of time, effort & resources just to save a buck . . .
Old 09-14-06, 11:08 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

I don't have all weather mats (or the spoiler), but I do have the preferred pkg, came w/the IS. Since it's included w/the negotiated price of the car, I couldn't have done better if I bought it on ebay and put it in myself . . .

I fall somewhere inbetween you & the nonconfrontationalist, I won't pay full retail, but I'm not gonna spend alot of time, effort & resources just to save a buck . . .
Actually, we're probably more the same than you think... If I get floor mats and a spoiler for example, I'll probably just buy from the dealer if the price is somewhere in between retail and ebay... Simply to save time and effort... I just refuse to get totally screwed and pay twice as much for a spoiler from the dealer just to have a "warranty" on my spoiler...

BUT, the point of my original post, is that for "$ off MSRP" or "$ over Invoice" price discussion purposes, I think it's more accurate to just state FACTORY options you are getting.

If we start saying "I got $5000 off MSRP" but it's because there are $1500 of dealer added MSRP costs added onto your car's sticker price, it's misleading as to the TRUE deal you got.

It's like if your car is MSRP $43,000, but the dealer gives you the extended warranty for 1/2 off. To include the price of the extended warranty into your car's MSRP sticker price is misleading I think and doesn't reflect the quality of the deal you got on your car.
Old 09-14-06, 01:48 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Fair enough. But I ain't splicing my Nav wires until you blaze the trail first !!!
Old 09-14-06, 02:49 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Fair enough. But I ain't splicing my Nav wires until you blaze the trail first !!!
lol, it's the first thing on my list... Got a few other IS owners gonna come over to my place... If I don't blow up my car, I think they are going to have me mod their cars that same night
Old 09-14-06, 04:07 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this for the NAV hack? I thought that was already done.

I may want to do it myself depending on how intrusive the NAV nanny is
Old 09-14-06, 05:14 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Is this for the NAV hack? I thought that was already done.

I may want to do it myself depending on how intrusive the NAV nanny is
Well, if you are getting NAV/ML here is a list of what you cannot do:

1) Watch dvds while moving
2) Access mp3 folders while moving
3) Access phone/bluetooth functions while moving
4) Enter destinations while moving (will require installing a switch unless you want jumpy nav)
Old 09-14-06, 06:24 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, if you are getting NAV/ML here is a list of what you cannot do:

1) Watch dvds while moving
2) Access mp3 folders while moving
3) Access phone/bluetooth functions while moving
4) Enter destinations while moving (will require installing a switch unless you want jumpy nav)
Damn, that sucks. I knew about the Nav destination and the DVD thing. But the access to phone functions and folders... that pretty lame
Old 09-14-06, 06:31 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Damn, that sucks. I knew about the Nav destination and the DVD thing. But the access to phone functions and folders... that pretty lame
Agreed... TOTALLY lame...

But, the good news is that you just cut two wires and connect them together directly and the first three (1-3) are instantly fixed with no adverse effects!

Quick Reply: Just got quoted by my local dealer...