IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IPod Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-06, 08:59 AM
duckduck
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IPod Question

With the AUX output, the volume can both be controlled by the iPod and the car itself. However, since it comes from the headphone jack, the iPod should normally drive the headphones/set. By having a higher volume, the iPod's battery life would normally last shorter than normal (am I having this down wrong?)

The problem I'm having with the AUX output in the car is that it's very soft. I usually have my iPod on full volume and my car's volume at 28-35. Does anyone run their iPod on a lower volume (like half volume) and run their car volume to 40-60? I would figure this would make the battery life last longer, but not sure if it's good for the car speakers. Thoughts?

(Bah, I can't wait for VAIS to come out with a line-in for the iPod and another channel input for a DVD player/PS2/etc...otherwise I wouldn't ask this question)
Old 09-08-06, 09:17 AM
muffin57
Driver School Candidate

Hi duckduck,

I really don't think there's much of a difference in battery life when playing the iPod at full volume as compared to half volume. I almost always have my iPod cranked. You'll know if you're harming the stereo because you'll hear the music distorting. I've found that the Lexus stereo not only can handle it, but sounds great at high volumes. No distortion.

Hope this helps,
Brian
Old 09-08-06, 12:28 PM
SerKevin
Pole Position

I've noticed the same thing as DuckDuck: I have to set the volume of the ipod to full and the radio to between 28 and 40. I did monkey with both the equalizer on the iPod and the settings on the car's sound system to get a better sound.

I was wondering what sound level you have to use if the iPod is connected via a line out, like on the Monster Cable with the line out or a dock? Anyone with that kind of setup got any comments?
Old 09-08-06, 12:38 PM
The Chad
Driver

If you use the line out, the volume on the iPod is fixed, so you would only have to adjust the sound on the stereo itself. I would assume, after seeing some other setups, that you would probably have to turn it a little higher than you would normally have it, but it should be about the same.

That's all hypothetical, but from other setups I've seen in different cars that seems to be more the case.
Old 09-08-06, 03:08 PM
cpsmith516
Rookie

i use the line out from the dock adaptor, and it is a fixed volume around 75% of normal headphone output. i've noticed that it doesn't distort using line out, and also puts out an unequalized sound, so if you have the iPod's EQ turned on it will only effect the headphone output, not the line out.
Old 09-08-06, 03:28 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 256 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by cpsmith516
i use the line out from the dock adaptor, and it is a fixed volume around 75% of normal headphone output. i've noticed that it doesn't distort using line out, and also puts out an unequalized sound, so if you have the iPod's EQ turned on it will only effect the headphone output, not the line out.
I also use the dock connector, which I consider to be a much better solution than using the headphone amp, and agree with cpsmith516's observations.

Incidently, I didn't buy an expensive cable like the Monster or the SIK. I'm running an iPod dock to RCA stereo cable that I bought on eBay for 99 cents (about $6 w/shipping), and a stereo RCA to mini-phone plug adapter I had on hand.
Old 09-08-06, 06:37 PM
cpsmith516
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bichon
Incidently, I didn't buy an expensive cable like the Monster or the SIK. I'm running an iPod dock to RCA stereo cable that I bought on eBay for 99 cents (about $6 w/shipping), and a stereo RCA to mini-phone plug adapter I had on hand.
mine is a SiK adaptor (in case anyone was wondering), running out of a DICE cradle. (but yeah the ebay one does the exact same thing)
Old 09-08-06, 08:01 PM
RyanDe680
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The Chad
If you use the line out, the volume on the iPod is fixed, so you would only have to adjust the sound on the stereo itself.
Not on my iPod. I can alter the volume to whatever level I want..
Old 09-08-06, 08:17 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RyanDe680
Someone's drunk

Ryan, my 350 comes tomorrow
Old 09-09-06, 12:57 AM
cpsmith516
Rookie

Originally Posted by RyanDe680
perhaps you are mistaken, and are calling the 1/8" Mini-Stereo Jack (aka Headphone plug) the "Line-Out". Line-Out actually means it remains a constant volume with unaltered output (in most cases). In the case of an iPod you need a Dock Connector to achieve a true "Line-Out".

They usually look something like these:

take notice of the two cables coming out of it, one is the "Line-Out" and the other is a charging adaptor for any power plug with a firewire output. (Monster Cable, SIK, and many others makes power adaptors that have firewire)

While using a Line-Out you can still use the scroll wheel to "change" the volume, but when listening to your iPod via the Line-Out you'll notice the actual output level does not change, just the slider on the screen moves around.
Old 09-09-06, 01:19 PM
SerKevin
Pole Position

Thanks for all the great input. I'm currently getting great sound from my iPod via the headphone jack and was curious if the lineout would produce better sound... I already knew that it was a fixed volume level, however I didn't know that the equalizer didn't effect the lineout. GREAT INFO!

I've currently ordered a Scosche RF remote so I can control the iPod while it's in the center console while driving. It should be here Monday so I'll let everybody know how it works out when it gets here.
Old 09-09-06, 04:10 PM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

which one has the best sound quality for ipod? SIk?
Old 09-09-06, 07:14 PM
cpsmith516
Rookie

Originally Posted by SerKevin
I've currently ordered a Scosche RF remote so I can control the iPod while it's in the center console while driving. It should be here Monday so I'll let everybody know how it works out when it gets here.
do you have a link to your remote, I've been looking for one that will work with my dice cradle and still have room for the line out connector?

Originally Posted by ThoLe
which one has the best sound quality for ipod? SIk?
AFAIK they are all about the same, it's just the quality of the connector and how long it will hold up. all they do is facilitate the use of a 1/8" stereo plug connected to the dock, none are superior in terms of sound quality.
Old 09-10-06, 03:11 AM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Target has started selling the Scoshe iPod remote, it has a dock connector passthrough. I bought another brand remote from Target about 2 months ago with a passthrough dock connector also, can't remember the name offhand.

Generally iPod remotes just let you change volume, song previous/next, pause/play/off and the Scoshe lets you use random and there's another button, looks like song list.
Old 09-10-06, 07:00 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

sound is better because the cars system is using its equalizer on the ipods equalizer so it gets boosted twice

Quick Reply: IPod Question