IS250 Performance Options?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-06, 07:43 PM
MikeK2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS250 Performance Options?

Hi everyone,

I'm one of those people that love the IS, but hate automatic transmissions. While I know the IS250 doesn't exactly have a stellar manual transmission, it's all that's available. What kinds of options are available to increase performance of the 250 so that it comes close to that of the 350? Pretty much all the IS350 options appear to be available for the IS250 like the sport package, so that's a step in the right direction.

<Don't laugh>

Thanks,

mike
Old 08-15-06, 07:51 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus Mike!

My opinion - trade in your IS250 for an IS350 if you want to get to that level. You will have a more reliable car with other upgrades (brakes for example) that you'll want with the added power. I know it won't do w/o the stick, but I had to suggest it

However, for discussions on this topic I invite you to use the search feature of this forum. I searched for 'IS250 performance' and found several threads - here are a couple:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...formance+is250
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...formance+is250
Old 08-15-06, 08:11 PM
MikeK2
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Dave. Of course it never occured to me to try searching with those terms. That would have made far too much sense.

I actually do not have an IS right now. I'm in the comparison stage trying to figure out what I'm looking for, so I wanted to see what my options would be with regard to the IS250.

Mike
Old 08-16-06, 05:26 AM
is250ftw
Driver School Candidate

I'm in the same boat as you - I like the IS but MUST have a manual. So, I ordered the IS250. IMHO, the best mod you can do for a low-torque engine like the IS250's (aside from FI) is a set of superlight wheels. I had some 10lb wheels on my previous car (MINI Cooper S) and I'm ordering a set of 14lb 17" wheels as soon as my baby arrives.
Old 08-16-06, 05:55 AM
sailing217
Pole Position

I don't mind my 17" stock wheels at all, and it's probably the easiest performance upgrade (loss of sprung weight). The manual is much more peppy than the auto 250.
But spending a ton to up the performance , I'll put those thousands of dollars for a down payment on a used boxster, s2000, or Evo.
Old 08-16-06, 10:10 AM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will say IS250 is not a proforamce car... even with the manual shift... if you want more power go for IS350 since is making much differences to the driver... I hope Lexus will made manual shift IS350 later... maybe not since there is IS500 soon (400hps)... haha
Old 08-16-06, 10:44 AM
Pittdawg
Driver

What difference does it make if in stock form a vehicle is a "performance" car or not, the whole point of being a car enthusiast is to improve upon the stock form, whether it is aesthetic or performance wise. To simply say "you shoulda paid extra for the 350" is such a cop out. I could have paid extra but I preferred a manual. Just because I have a smaller engine doesn't mean I should be prevented from acquiring additional horsepower. Another 20 to 30more horsepower on the 250 with a manual would be SWEET! Come on vendors lets get some go-fast goodies out on the market!
Old 08-16-06, 10:54 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pittdawg
the whole point of being a car enthusiast is to improve upon the stock form, whether it is aesthetic or performance wise.
The whole point of being a car enthusiast is enjoying all things related to cars. Driving them, owning them, talking about them.
Old 08-16-06, 10:40 PM
tbs2
Driver School Candidate

I am a big stick shift fan. But IS 250 manual is way too ugly than a automatic. That's why I got my first automatic in my entire life.
Old 08-17-06, 03:53 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

To simply say "you shoulda paid extra for the 350" is such a cop out. I could have paid extra but I preferred a manual. Just because I have a smaller engine doesn't mean I should be prevented from acquiring additional horsepower. Another 20 to 30more horsepower on the 250 with a manual would be SWEET! Come on vendors lets get some go-fast goodies out on the market!
Thats not a cop out at all. Its hard as heck to get any HP out of an NA car with basic bolt ons. I basically have every bolt on available for my NA 3000GT. Stock it produces 222(165 on the dyno). I put out... 178HP. Which is good. but still 30 HP good luck without turbos or a supercharger.

My 3000 has
Lightweight flywheel
Lightweight crank pully
Upgraded clutch
Exhaust
Intake
Spark plug wires and iridium plugs
Throttle body coolant mod
Old 08-17-06, 04:08 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

the best bet for these cars are lightweight wheels and tires+ some weight reduction. Intake and exhaust... I have my doubts about.
Old 08-17-06, 06:31 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tbs2
I am a big stick shift fan. But IS 250 manual is way too ugly than a automatic. That's why I got my first automatic in my entire life.
Way too ugly?
Old 08-17-06, 08:12 AM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

i like how the mt has the e-brake on the center console
Old 08-17-06, 09:21 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

What difference does it make if in stock form a vehicle is a "performance" car or not, the whole point of being a car enthusiast is to improve upon the stock form, whether it is aesthetic or performance wise. To simply say "you shoulda paid extra for the 350" is such a cop out. I could have paid extra but I preferred a manual. Just because I have a smaller engine doesn't mean I should be prevented from acquiring additional horsepower. Another 20 to 30more horsepower on the 250 with a manual would be SWEET! Come on vendors lets get some go-fast goodies out on the market!
The vast majority of people who want performance will go with the 350. Aftermarket companies know this so they will focus on what makes them the most money, which is making performance parts fro the IS350. Stuff that is easily interchangable like exhaust will be available on both models, most other things will not. Sorry, but that is just the way it is. There are a few vehicles where the lower model has more performance parts (M35 vs M45) for example, but the IS is not one of those.
Old 08-17-06, 10:41 AM
Pittdawg
Driver

Originally Posted by Ramon
The vast majority of people who want performance will go with the 350. Aftermarket companies know this so they will focus on what makes them the most money, which is making performance parts fro the IS350. Stuff that is easily interchangable like exhaust will be available on both models, most other things will not. Sorry, but that is just the way it is. There are a few vehicles where the lower model has more performance parts (M35 vs M45) for example, but the IS is not one of those.
So why is it the only aftermarket headers out for the IS are for the 250 only?

Quick Reply: IS250 Performance Options?