IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Random stranger props count +1

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-06, 08:17 AM
yov6cam
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random stranger props count +1

I was pulling into the gas station waiting behind this guy, i noticed he kept looking back at me, I thought he was mad that I was waiting for him to finish fillin up. Another spot opened up next to it and I was fillin up, guy tapped me on the shoulder, said "hey man, nice car", I said, thanks and was kinda surprised.

Also while trying to get the new car inspection, the mechanic couldn't start the car and was so amazed at the start button, lol, he kept sayin "wow, you just press it"
Old 07-11-06, 08:32 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i got complimented by an owner of a house i was visiting for work. he said, hey what kinda car is that? oh wow nice car! times must be good...
Old 07-11-06, 08:40 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 258 Likes on 228 Posts

Last year, when the car and L-finesse styling were less common, it was unusual to stop for gas and NOT have someone compliment or ask questions about the car.
Old 07-11-06, 10:54 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Same-Same here......

Couple of random folks oohing and aghing and complimenting the car and doing a walk around. One guy had the brass ***** to ask if he could drive it...........
Old 07-11-06, 11:00 AM
dngo27
Driver

a lil off subject but every now and then, i ll spot another 2is on the freeway and drive next to it, just to admire it and say to myself 'dayum.. that car looks sweeeeeeet' .... lol.
Old 07-11-06, 12:23 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dngo27
a lil off subject but every now and then, i ll spot another 2is on the freeway and drive next to it, just to admire it and say to myself 'dayum.. that car looks sweeeeeeet' .... lol.
When I pass another 2IS, I'll usually shoot over a friendly wave. I guess most 2IS drivers are not car enthusiasts; I've found the gesture is rarely returned.
Old 07-11-06, 01:15 PM
bobbynoise
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bichon
When I pass another 2IS, I'll usually shoot over a friendly wave. I guess most 2IS drivers are not car enthusiasts; I've found the gesture is rarely returned.

I always give the to fellow 2IS drivers. There should be a universal signal to identify your part of the CL forums haha
Old 07-11-06, 01:21 PM
flyfl1pguy

YEs you will get lots of oohing and aghing.
Old 07-11-06, 01:27 PM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Originally Posted by bobbynoise
I always give the to fellow 2IS drivers. There should be a universal signal to identify your part of the CL forums haha
Has anyone ever owned a Wrangler? Now, *that* is a vehicle that has garnered a "family" following...

No matter where you drive in the 'States, there is an unsaid "Jeep Wave" that you are supposed to give to other Wrangler drivers as you pass by them (supposed to happen with all Jeeps, but only really does with the Wrangler). In fact, you almost get offended if you wave and it's not reciprocated--no joke! If you ever see two Wranglers together, watch closely and the drivers will wave to each other...

It was a lot of fun to be part of this "club" while I had my '99 TJ. Man, I miss those times...gave you the warm fuzzies everytime someone waved at you. Although, I must admit, that car needed so much maintenance...

Anyone else in here ex-Wrangler owners? It's too bad we can't generate a similar type of mentality with our ISes...we're too stuck up, I guess.
Old 07-11-06, 01:39 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SuperLexy
Has anyone ever owned a Wrangler? Now, *that* is a vehicle that has garnered a "family" following...
Years ago, it used to be that way with BMWs. In 1975, when my dad bought his first Bimmer (a model called the "2002" that was the predecessor of the 3 series), any time two BMWs passed the drivers would flash their headlights at each other. Of course in those days, the marque was so rare that you could go for days or weeks without seeing another one on the road.
Old 07-11-06, 01:40 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

my car was complimented by an owner of a 2005 Audi S4... he couldnt get over how much the styling improved over the previous gen IS. most Audi owners I have met are fanatics about their cars, so thought that really was a good compliment... maybe he'll crossover and consider a 350..
Old 07-11-06, 01:45 PM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
Years ago, it used to be that way with BMWs. In 1975, when my dad bought his first Bimmer (a model called the "2002" that was the predecessor of the 3 series), any time two BMWs passed the drivers would flash their headlights at each other. Of course in those days, the marque was so rare that you could go for days or weeks without seeing another one on the road.
Heh, that's cool. Makes sense with such a rare vehicle, I guess.

That makes it all the more impressive that such a ubiquitous car like the Jeep Wrangler could garner this type of behavior...and yes, I could easily have waved more than 5 times in one day...
Old 07-11-06, 01:48 PM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Originally Posted by IS_250
my car was complimented by an owner of a 2005 Audi S4... he couldnt get over how much the styling improved over the previous gen IS. most Audi owners I have met are fanatics about their cars, so thought that really was a good compliment... maybe he'll crossover and consider a 350..
I'll tell you, I am in total agreement. My bro-in-law got an IS300 in '04 and I didn't care for the looks or performance of it. In fact, I didn't really even give it a second glance.

When this new model came out, I fell in love with the looks AND the performance of it...totally transformed me into a Lexus-believer...looks so much better than any car in its class out there, IMO (3-series, C-class, A4, G35, etc.)...
Old 07-11-06, 01:57 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by IS_250
Given the fugly schnoz on the '05 and newer S4, he had no business criticizing the styling on the first generation IS. (Although I have to admit, as I see more of them on the road, they don't look as hideous to me as they once did)
Old 07-11-06, 02:19 PM
mike841
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by unit74
Same-Same here......

Couple of random folks oohing and aghing and complimenting the car and doing a walk around. One guy had the brass ***** to ask if he could drive it...........
LOL

Quick Reply: Random stranger props count +1