IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: How much do you pay for oil changes?
20 bucks of less
2.60%
20 to 30 bucks
17.21%
40 bucks+
31.49%
I do it myself
48.70%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Oil change stuff...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-06, 02:43 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MJB_LEX
Where did you get the tool to remove the filter canister? I have been to Toyota and Lexus dealers and they do not stock them.
The tool isn't totally necessary. I used a big pipe wrench on mine.
Old 08-02-06, 06:28 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ridgid Tool Strap wrench

Ridgid brand, Its called a strap wrench, Amazon.com has them. you can find them on ebay. I bought a monster sized one for $11.50 on ebay. You can't break them, and you can use them on the spin-on filters on your Jeep, Dodge Ram, Suzuki Intruder, Mitsubishi Montero & your
Cub Cadet tractor's
They are very useful.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Strap-Wrench/index.htm

Just pull the strap around the end of the canister and tighten with the blunt end of the wrench pressing the strap against the canister. Righty- tighty, Lefty Loosey, remember that and you'll get it. Don't tight the canister with the wrench, or you'll never get it back off

I like strap wrench, it won't break or scratch anything on the canister. They were originally made for stainless steel pipes so as not to scratch them. To bad you're not near the Southwest Virginia Lexus IS350 owners club. You could bring it by the house and I'd help you change the oil. I put some pics up here on the changing and the filter and canister. search oil change. let me know if you have any questions. Enjoy !
Old 08-14-06, 09:12 AM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** the frist service I have just done it cost me 1400HKD around 178USD, lucky that it's free for the frist and second services... But it's a bit too much compare to the other garage out there...
Old 08-14-06, 09:27 AM
IzzY_IS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Ramps

Originally Posted by GreyHound
They're 2' x 10' s. How is it going to slide?
Solid, long, lay flat on the ground, car rolls easily up on them. Car is in park. I'm not removing the transmission or wrenching hard on it.
It ain't going anywhere. No jack anywhere in the area for the Osha cronies.
What do you call nice ramps? plastic ones that my neighbor used to drive over the end because they're so steep, or the metal ones that slide on concrete or drive themselves into the ground? Thats OK. I 'll keep my flat ones that are about five feet long and are about 15 years old. But I really do appreciate the concern.
What color was your IS 350?
These ramps work well on my IS 350:

http://www.rhinoramps.com/product.html
Old 09-30-06, 08:15 AM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MJB_LEX
Where did you get the tool to remove the filter canister? I have been to Toyota and Lexus dealers and they do not stock them.
snap-on sells the tool for about 20 bucks, i just ordered mine yesterday.
Old 09-30-06, 08:17 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 256 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
The tool isn't totally necessary. I used a big pipe wrench on mine.
I use the same cap wrench that I had in the toolbox from my '95 Maxima. By odd coincidence, it fits perfectly. Nice thing about it is that like the Toyota factory tool, it doesn't round off the flutes or scratch up the canister.
Old 09-30-06, 08:39 AM
SParker1tx
Pole Position

Wow...

I cant believe you all are having such trouble with LEXUS Dealerships??? That unheard of with my dealership... Maybe its because my parents have bought 3 lexus's from the same dealer but here is what happened at my dealership.

So I called them and told them I wanted the oil change early just because I felt like it I dunno, dident want to wait till 5,000. I told them to put it as the 5,000 mile oil change. The next day they show up at my house w/ my loaner car, pick mine up take it to the dealer and have it back to me in 2 hours!

At my dealer they take the loaner to your house and grab your car, and then when its finished they drive yours back to your house and you give them the loaner back! Its amazing service, the people there are all EXTREMLY nice! I love my dealership I cant believe the crap you guys are putting up with!!
Old 09-30-06, 09:00 AM
C-westin'FD
Rookie

I'm a do-it-yourselfer
Old 10-01-06, 09:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,851 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by wolverine
snap-on sells the tool for about 20 bucks, i just ordered mine yesterday.
Which size? I already have a 63 x 14, a 73mm x 14, and a 74mm x 15. Which one do I need now?

BTW, interesting how the cap is branded Toyota not Lexus...
Old 10-02-06, 09:06 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Which size? I already have a 63 x 14, a 73mm x 14, and a 74mm x 15. Which one do I need now?
Put your wallet away. The 63mm x 14 flute should fit perfectly.
Old 10-02-06, 09:19 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Changing the oil any sooner than every 10k miles is a waste of money
Old 10-02-06, 12:51 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Technique
Changing the oil any sooner than every 10k miles is a waste of money
Absolutely not. Performing scheduled maintenance is a requirement to keep the new vehicle warranty in force.

After the warranty is up, one might want to extend the oil change interval (preferably with the guidance of periodic oil analysis by a firm like Blackstone Labs), but while the car is under warranty it makes sense to do things by the book.

Last edited by Bichon; 10-02-06 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-02-06, 01:21 PM
jjj784
Driver School Candidate

personally, i find that the oil wrenches "slip" off the filter even if it's the correct sized one (probably due to the grease?). now i just use my hand(s) and turn it w/o much trouble since it shouldn't be on THAT tight to begin with.
Old 10-02-06, 01:39 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Absolutely not. Performing scheduled maintenance is a requirement to keep the new vehicle warranty in force.

After the warranty is up, one might want to extend the oil change interval (preferably with the guidance of periodic oil analysis by a firm like Blackstone Labs), but while the car is under warranty it makes sense to do things by the book.
What are you talking about? No way is it a requirement to keep the warranty in force. How would they ever know if you followed the "recommended" maintenance anyway??? It's not a requirement to go to a dealer. You can change the oil yourself and the warranty is still in effect.

I changed the oil every 15k-20k miles on my Acura and I never had ANY problems with any warranty claims. (Not that I had that many but I had a few)
Old 10-02-06, 03:04 PM
rys
Pole Position

That's pretty risky if you aren't doing filter changes along the way.

I've seen oil keep for up to 12k miles, 15k is pushing it, and 20k should be pretty dangerous.

-Brian

Quick Reply: Oil change stuff...