IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Question for anyone.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-06, 08:00 PM
poley1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for anyone.....

I'm getting ready to order an IS350 from an out of state dealer in Florida. I reside in Mississippi. The internet sales represenative at this dealership has described a situation where I would likely have to pay sales tax TWICE if I financed with Lexus. It was stated that the only way to avoid this would be to use an outside source for financing...i.e. credit union, bank etc. Does anyone know about this?
Old 03-10-06, 08:17 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't pay any sales tax to the state of Florida and you should be fine. I'm financed with LFS and I purchased my vehicle in another state and only paid sales tax once.
Old 03-10-06, 08:59 PM
poley1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Ken......how could this even be possible I ask. Are they trying to screw me basically, that's what I'm asking. I shouldn't have to pay state sales tax to Florida, right?
Old 03-10-06, 09:01 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Are you driving the car back or are they trucking it to you?
Old 03-10-06, 09:13 PM
poley1
Driver School Candidate

We've discussed both ways...however he did mention something about trucking the car to me unregistered and then I would pay taxes and register it , etc. Does this make a difference? I'll fly there and pick it up if I have to and drive it back....but one thing's certain....I will not pay the state sales tax twice. If you're knowledgeable about this scenario, please expalin. Thanks.
Old 03-10-06, 09:20 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm. May i ask what kind of deal are you getting on this car to go threw this trouble?
Old 03-10-06, 10:02 PM
poley1
Driver School Candidate

$46010 msrp.......reached a deal for $43500, with a complimentary window tint. I guess there's a chance there will be no deal....I'm trying to understand the above mentioned situation.
Old 03-10-06, 10:09 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

In California if you live out of state and drive the car home you have to pay double tax.
I'm not sure if this is the same law in Florida. We have a sales rep on CL from JM Lexus in Florida. Why don't you pm her and ask about this double tax thing? At the same time, see if she can give you a better deal. Her name's Shannon and her screen name is "JM Lexus".
Old 03-10-06, 10:47 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by poley1
$46010 msrp.......reached a deal for $43500, with a complimentary window tint. I guess there's a chance there will be no deal....I'm trying to understand the above mentioned situation.
Thats more then i got off the MSRP but less then some others. But by the time you add in your time or plane flight, or delivery fee. Im not sure how worth it its going to be.
Old 03-10-06, 11:20 PM
poley1
Driver School Candidate

In my case, it's still worth it. The best I could get from my local dealer, Lexus of Memphis, was $45,500. That was a month or so ago however, when alot of dealers nationally weren't budging from msrp. I could probably do better than that now, but still not close to $43,500. The ballpark cost of transporting the car to me is $500. A one way flight would be around $160. This would entail me spending a couple of nights in a hotel, while driving the approx. 900 miles back to my home. Also, the thought of interstate driving for that far during the break-in period is not appealing at all. So....my choice is having the car trucked to me for about $500, bypassing the hard two days of driving. And still, a better deal than I can get locally.
Old 03-10-06, 11:29 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

If you're driving it home, I strongly suggest you mask the front end with painter's tape. This will protect from rock chips and bugs. It peels off easily and doesn't harm paint. You will get a few strange looks but who cares. You can buy it at any store that sells paint and it's cheap.

http://www.westernwooddoctor.com/3mpainterstape.htm

Last edited by AsianGirl007; 03-10-06 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-10-06, 11:36 PM
poley1
Driver School Candidate

thanks Asiangirl, I'll keep that in mind. Flying there and driving it back however, is not what I want to do.
Old 03-11-06, 12:16 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Here is what you do:

I have had two friends do this method a few years ago. One was a Lawyer who purchased a new NSX.

Purchase the car out of state where there is NO sales tax. Get a PO Box (or better a friends house if you have one) Register the car there. Driver around with out of state plates for 6months or up to a year. Becareful not to get pulled over by any cops during these months. After the probation period. 6-12 months. Register the car in your state... and wala you pay no sales tax..

This is just a brief explaination on how you do it.. It works.. But some people wouldnt try on during it.. Saying its tax invasion, etc.. But there is no proof that you dont want to pay tax..

If your buying out of state might as well buy from a state where there is NO SALES TAX.
Old 03-11-06, 12:46 AM
poley1
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate it man, but that's too shady sounding. I mean, I can't drive around for 6 months or more worried about being pulled over. I might as well have a few lbs. of smoke or something. What's the difference? I don't mind paying sales tax to my home state, that's a given that that's gonna happen. What I had a question about was ......why would it have to be paid twice?
Old 03-11-06, 01:06 AM
integlikew
Lead Lap

I would say the dealer should know. I mean just talk to the dealer outta state and see if they are going to give you the car without paying sales tax. If they are then your set. Sounds like one phone call will anwser this quesition.

Quick Reply: Question for anyone.....