IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 350 vs G35 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-06, 06:29 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for further comparison, R&T lists the 0-100mph times for the 250awd/350 as:

IS350: 14.9secs
IS250 19.6secs

That's a HUGE difference, at nearly 5 full seconds.... (no times given for the 250rwd, although I wouldn't expect a terribly large improvement).

Even more noticeable would be high speed acceleration runs, from 60-80mph and 80-100mph. The 250 would dissapear... as would a lot of other cars.
Old 02-25-06, 03:28 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400-V8
The only reason why the 250 and 350 would have similar top speeds is due to electronic limitation... there is simply no way two cars with the same body, one with over 100 more hp and around 100 more tq wouldnt be significantly faster at high speed.

The comment that was made about the 250 not being fast refered to its acceleration.... it is literally 2.5-3 seconds slower 0-60 than the IS350. VERY big difference.
I completely understand. The article I read saying both has top speed of 140 did not mention the 350's was electronically limited. My point is the 350 will get to that 140 faster but is it really that big of a deal?
Old 02-26-06, 10:35 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

Originally Posted by reggiek
I completely understand. The article I read saying both has top speed of 140 did not mention the 350's was electronically limited. My point is the 350 will get to that 140 faster but is it really that big of a deal?

0-140 is not a big deal... no.

But 0-100, where the 350 is there 5 seconds faster... is a big deal, because that is a more realistic speed people would actually drive at.
Old 02-26-06, 10:55 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alex350
I think both cars are pretty cool but right now the IS has the upper hand and the G35 is starting to look a bit outdated.... but according to Infiniti rumors, a G35 hardtop convertible should be coming out late this year, and THAT will be a HOT car , but then again, Lexus will probably release their hardtop convertible/coupe IS sometime next year and that should keep things interesting. The quality of Lexus materials is a lot better as well, but keep in mind that the Infiniti is a Nissan Baby Skyline "upgraded" to the US market; the Lexus was made a Lexus from the ground up. I would definitely wait and see what changes are done to the G35 and then base your final decision after test driving both cars.
no infinti hardtop convertible planned for quite a while. just the g37 sedan for this year, and the g37 coupe for next year.
Old 02-26-06, 11:00 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by reggiek
Of course it's a big deal. Faster is always better
Old 02-26-06, 12:29 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by heffergm
Of course it's a big deal. Faster is always better
Not with the ladies...
Old 02-27-06, 10:51 PM
Jhoo
Rookie

Default how tall are you?

So I bought the IS350 and my friend bought the G35. I am 6'1 as is he and yesterday when he showed up in the misses car I asked wheres the G? He said he hates it, he wanted to know if I wanted to trade? His major complaint is the lack of room for his head. His seat is tilted back far and with the sunroof cut out he says he has to have his head at an angle at all times. No this is not a performance related issue just a comfort one. On the performance end he is not impressed, hes coming out of a M3, late 90s and wishing he would of picked up a newer used M3. Sad to say hes not happy with his G35 coupe and now I see him driving his wifes Xterra and shes driving the G, I wish you the best!
Old 02-27-06, 11:03 PM
kschawaii
Pole Position

wait... how do you guys know about all this information on the 2007 IS?? was all that information officially released or is it just rumors?
Old 05-30-06, 05:51 PM
darrelld
Driver

Here is a good head to head comparison;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clgqqp90Wzw&search=is350
Old 05-30-06, 06:42 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know how much Infiniti will actually improve the interior quality of the next G35 sedan/coupe, but the current one is no match for the IS. I got tired of my G35C's interior pretty quickly, especially the orange insturment lighting that reminded me of Altima/Sentra. I've seen photo's of the next G35's interior and I am not impressed, either (the same goes for all the current Infiniti's), what with the video arcade instrument panel (too flashy like a teenager's boombox) and the big joystick/buttons on a HORIZONTAL console. I was very disappointed with G35's Bose system--even a stock Lexus stereo was superior to the muddy sound of Bose.
Old 05-30-06, 07:27 PM
PinoyBruin
Driver

Originally Posted by jlin101
I don't know how much Infiniti will actually improve the interior quality of the next G35 sedan/coupe, but the current one is no match for the IS. I got tired of my G35C's interior pretty quickly, especially the orange insturment lighting that reminded me of Altima/Sentra. I've seen photo's of the next G35's interior and I am not impressed, either (the same goes for all the current Infiniti's), what with the video arcade instrument panel (too flashy like a teenager's boombox) and the big joystick/buttons on a HORIZONTAL console. I was very disappointed with G35's Bose system--even a stock Lexus stereo was superior to the muddy sound of Bose.
PREACH ON! I AGREE COMPLETELY!
Old 05-30-06, 09:26 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by darrelld
Here is a good head to head comparison;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clgqqp90Wzw&search=is350
How modded was the 350Z? manual? the IS barely won...
Old 05-30-06, 10:34 PM
larsdenner
Driver School Candidate

Looks like the IS launched better. The IS won to the camera but they were right next to each other. Tough to say... The styling on the IS blows away the G35 (either one IMO) When I lurked on the G forums MPG was a universal complaint. I got 29mpg in the IS freeway driving. A guy at work has a new M and doesn't really like it. He feels like something is just missing from it. Some sort of driving feel. I got the same feeling.

I don't have anything against Nissans. We sold my wife's Altima for the IS and it was/is a really great car.
Old 05-31-06, 12:13 AM
RCPiercy
Driver

I agree with the comments about Infiniti leather, build quality etc. I have a '99 Qx4 and some of the problems I have make me feel like I'm driving a Ford Explorer. The Bose system is impressive when compared to 90% of OEM stereos, maybe even 95%. The Mark Levinson is in a league of its own. The one thing Infiniti has over Lexus recently IMO is their wheels. I personally am not particularly fond of the 10 spoke rims, but the Infiniti rims are both sporty and sophisticated.
Old 05-31-06, 12:47 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a 2003 G35 coupe and just bought a RX400h. I've always like Lexus and so far I'm happy with the dealer here. I've been shopping for a replacement for the G35 and when the IS350 came out, I really expected to trade the coupe for one. I did test drive the IS extensively and love the performance and the interior in the front seat. I still love the styling of the G35 coupe and believe it is one of the nicest looking cars on the road. The IS looks like a nice generic Japanese sedan, so I was not thrilled with the exterior style. What really turned me off on the IS is the ride. It rides harder than my G35 and doesn't handle nearly as well. The car I tested was a luxury package with 18" wheels. I asked the salesman about the standard 17" wheels and he told me none were being brought into Arizona. I checked the Lexus web site and found the same thing. Another difficulty I had with the IS was the tiny trunk. The G35 trunk is small, but the rear seats fold flat so there is plenty of room for the wife and I on long road trips. I still have not decided what to buy for my sporty car. Maybe I'll wait until next spring when the new G35 coupe comes out.

In comparing the cars, the IS wins on performance, interior noise, and interior quality. The G35 I rate better on exterior style, ride, and handling. My G35 has 33,000 miles on it and reliability has been outstanding with no problems. Highway gas mileage at 75 mph is about 25 mpg with about 20 mpg around town.

The G35 is about $4K cheaper than and IS350 with similar equipment. The warranties are similar and the dealer service perks are about the same. Both have strong and weak points, but either would overall be an outstanding choice. The selection process should be based on which strong or weak points fit within your desires.
Steve

Quick Reply: IS 350 vs G35 Coupe