IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Nav System - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-09, 12:52 PM
kslater
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I am happy i bought the 2010 then. I almost bought the 09 back in May. I really need to do homework next time i buy a car. I almost ended up with some buyer's remorse.
Old 12-21-09, 12:58 PM
eternal07
Pole Position

no NAV for $30K+ car? lol

even $19K honda fit has it
Old 12-21-09, 07:20 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by eternal07
no NAV for $30K+ car? lol

even $19K honda fit has it
Yup, and that one is probably also less dated and crappy than then 06-09 Lexus unit...and I bet less expensive too.

What's worse, a 30k+ car without nav, or a 30k+ car that gets laughed at by the driver of the 19k car because of how bad the nav is?
Old 12-21-09, 07:51 PM
RYLITT
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Opinions between the OEM navi and the FlyAudio Navi? Just out of curiosity.
Old 01-19-10, 10:16 AM
giantdefy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZeroIS
Opinions between the OEM navi and the FlyAudio Navi? Just out of curiosity.
not familiar with the FlyAudio, but the OEM adds backup camera, bluetooth for cell phone and adds your contacts to the screen, controls a USB music player, Vehicle maintenance reminder screen thats linked to your mileage (oil, belts, etc etc). Also voice activation not only for navigation, but also to control your climate control system, stereo. You can also go online through Lexus owners website and there is a section where you can add places you want to go to/visit, click send, and it will show up on your Navi, its called eDestination.

from Lexus website:
Lexus Enform™ [1] [2] extends the capabilities of your vehicle's available Navigation System [5] through two features, eDestination and Destination Assist. eDestination allows you to plan trips from home using an exclusive online search tool. Destination Assist provides enroute navigation assistance from the 24-hour Lexus Enform [1] [2] response center. Both features seamlessly transfer destinations to your vehicle's Navigation System [5], enabling you to access directions at the touch of a button. Planning trips has never been so fast, easy, and convenient.

I originally didnt care to get a car with GPS, but the IS250s are only sold in 2 common configurations, either 17 wheels w/ nothing, or 18" wheels with Nav. The 17s are too small and if I bought that model, I still would spend over $3000 for a new set 18" wheels. Common sense says just put it towards the model with 18" wheels, the GPS ends up being a bonus!

UPDATE: I just viewed the FlyAudio video, looks like it does everything the OEM does plus plays DVDs. Cool system to have if you dont have the OEM built in. I personally would still get the OEM for warranty purposes.

Last edited by giantdefy; 01-19-10 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-19-10, 10:28 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Built in nav is more of a gimmick/convenience than a feature that's actually worth something in the long run. With the rate that portable GPS units are evolving, it only takes a couple of years before a $200 Garmin unit starts making the built in nav in automobiles look bad. Add the insulting cost of map upgrades for factory units only makes matters worse.

$3000 for a set of 18" wheels? I got a set of ISP Mode wheels for my GS from Lexus for $1000.
Old 01-19-10, 11:12 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Built in nav is more of a gimmick/convenience than a feature that's actually worth something in the long run. With the rate that portable GPS units are evolving, it only takes a couple of years before a $200 Garmin unit starts making the built in nav in automobiles look bad.
They were doing that in 2006, and the Garmins only have gotten better since then.

The 2010 update to the OEM system makes them a bit less embarrassingly out of date in comparison at least by adding realtime traffic that Garmins had for years and some ability to plan your trip on your PC like Garmins have had for years (though still much more limited for the Lexus), but they're still not as good for 10x the price.

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Add the insulting cost of map upgrades for factory units only makes matters worse.
Yup. On the Garmin it's $99 for lifetime updates...versus $300 annually for Lexus.
Old 01-19-10, 11:36 AM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by Kurtz
They were doing that in 2006, and the Garmins only have gotten better since then.

The 2010 update to the OEM system makes them a bit less embarrassingly out of date in comparison at least by adding realtime traffic that Garmins had for years and some ability to plan your trip on your PC like Garmins have had for years (though still much more limited for the Lexus), but they're still not as good for 10x the price.

Yup. On the Garmin it's $99 for lifetime updates...versus $300 annually for Lexus.
Pretty much. I actually use a Garmin I paid $90 for and I just keep it in the glovebox for cases where I actually need/want it. I tend not to travel to places I don't know how to get to off the top of my head very often so it barely gets used.

Every couple of years, I just buy a new Garmin with all of the latest whiz bang new features for a song that includes the latest maps. It's nice to be able to take them with me in a foreign city and use in rental cars, or even when just walking around.
Old 01-19-10, 11:42 AM
Automax Service
Former Sponsor

All great points so far about the OEM Navigation. I think one of the biggest benefits about the Fly Audio setup is the ability to load whichever maps you choose. You get the OEM fit and finish, but you aren't locked into one mapping software. Obviously, I think there are a number of other benefits with the Fly Audio unit, but I will save some of those for later!
Old 01-19-10, 11:44 AM
vedder
Driver School Candidate

I wouldnt say WORLDS better, the XM Traffic is subscription based. The NAV is very SLOW compared to the IS350. And thats with the Hard Drive based navigation. There is no way to store your music on the hard drive like BMW and Infiniti offer. When using my IPOD there is a 3 second lag betwen when you press the button and the song toggles. Also, as far as I can tell, there is no way to switch to bird view and map view, like on the earlier model. Just my 2 pennies...

Originally Posted by Kurtz
The backup camera is part of the nav system, I dunno why people keep thinking it's separate. And you can certainly get nav by itself as an option (which comes with the camera, but has nothing to do whatsoever with wheels or seats).

The nav option is $2465 MSRP ($2065 invoice). The only "package" that has anything to do with nav is the Nav+Mark Levinson one, which is $3905 MSRP.

The 2010 nav is certainly worlds better than the 06-09 one, it finally catches up to the features Garmin (and even other OEMs like Infiniti) offered 3 or 4 years ago. It's still missing a few advantages from a current-gen Garmin, but it's not nearly as bad, feature wise, as it used to be. Sadly it still costs 10-15 times more though. Even compared to other car OEMs it's still overpriced, and compared to aftermarket units it remains insanely overpriced.
Old 01-19-10, 12:02 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

If you can afford a Lexus luxury car, than get a Navi. Not only does it make your car look 10 times better and more expensive, it also works great. When I'm lost, it always bring me home. When I need a gas station or atm, I can find one. I'm from LA and travel to SD a lot, it's good to have it around to see new places. Bluetooth is awesome, especially with LA traffic and driver. And you don't look gay with one of those Bluetooth ear-ring that everyone is sporting in one ear. Backup cam is useful when parking and coming out. Also the backup cam is in color, a lot of aftermarket ones are in black and white.

I won't buy another car without a built in navi.

Portable GPS inconvenience.
+ Cheap price
+ multiple car used
- takes a long time to lock onto satellite, up to 5 min sometimes when u need to go somewhere fast
- usually does not have multiple route option
- smaller screen
- hassle to put away/hide to prevent theft and broken window every time you leave.
- no place to mount unit securely unless u want to mount it on the ac vent.
- very dangerous in accident when it hits your head
- looks cheap in a luxury car.

*edit, clean up spelling

Last edited by Initial_K; 01-19-10 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-19-10, 12:12 PM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by hagakure
If you can afford a lexus luxury car, than get a Navi. Not only does it make your car look 10 times better and more expensive, it also works great. When I'm lost, it always bring me home. When I need a gas station or atm, I can find one. I'm from LA and travel to SD a lot, it's good to have it. Bluetooth is awesome, especially in LA traffic and laws. And you don't look gay with one of those buetooth ear-ring that everyone is sporting in one ear. Backup cam useful when parking and coming out.

I won't buy another car without one. You can't even compare it to a portable gps.

Portable GPS inconvience.
+ Cheap price
+c an take it anywhere, but why if you do most of your traveling in a car.
- takes a long time to lock onto saterlite, up to 5 min sometimes when u need to go somewhere fast
- usually does not have mutiple route option
- smaller screen
- hassle to put away/hide to prevent theft and broken window everytime you leave.
- no place to put it securely in CA unless u want to mount it on the vent
- loosk cheap in a luxury car.
-To be fair an IS, or even the GS are not really "Luxury" cars. They are more mid range cars with luxury badges and some nice appointments.

-Portable GPS units have had BT connectivity for ages. Non-Nav 3GS have built in BT and everything else anyway. I guess it's different for the IS.

-Thanks for that misuse of the word "Gay".

-Unless you tend to get into accidents going very fast in reverse, the laws of physics dictate that something in front of you won't hit your head.

-I've never had a portable GPS take 5 minutes to lock onto satellites. They tend to lock on just as fast as any in-dash system I've ever used. There is no magic to in-dash systems, they use the same chips.

-The California thing is valid, that's a pain in the rear, but I don't live there and most people in the world don't either. :P

- I find the parking sensors on my car far more useful than the backup camera. But it's probably not relevant to the IS?

Bottom line is, this thread is about discussing if it's "Worth it". If the much larger expenses and less flexibility are "Worth it" to you because you're trying to maintain some kind of luxury image - all the power to you!
Old 01-19-10, 12:21 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

If you can afford a lexus luxury car, than get a Navi. Not only does it make your car look 10 times better and more expensive, it also works great. When I'm lost, it always bring me home. When I need a gas station or atm, I can find one. I'm from LA and travel to SD a lot, it's good to have it around to see new places.
And assuming it's an 06-09 OEM nav you'll be sitting for extra hours in traffic that my garmin routed me around. Plus, when the traffic finally clears you'll get to hit all the red light cameras mine warns me about since I can download custom POI databases to it.

Bluetooth is awesome, especially with LA traffic and driver.
yup, bluetooth is great. My Garmin does that too, through the factory speakers too if I wish.

+ Cheap price
+ multiple car used
Those sound like conveniences to me...plus besides sharing it with my car or my wifes depending which we use for a local trip, when I fly someplace I can take it with me and use it in my rental too.

- takes a long time to lock onto saterlite, up to 5 min sometimes when u need to go somewhere fast
1996 called, they want their GPS back... from a review of my Garmin:

From the time the power switch is flipped to the appearance of the menu screen takes about 20 seconds. A cold start will net an additional minute or so while the Garmin achieves satellite lock. The Nuvi remembers its location between restarts, so subsequent booting should be instantaneous--unless the unit has moved a great distance since it was powered off.
Again, my previous Garmin (a 2004 model) did that.

- smaller screen
You can buy em with equal or larger screens, just they take more space obviously... if your vision really requires a 7" screen, well, the $2500 you save not buying OEM nav will probably cover LASIK!

- hassle to put away/hide to prevent theft and broken window everytime you leave.
Takes about 30 seconds to put in the center console. Or, with a Nuvi, you can just put it in your pocket since it's very thin/light, and it can be used for pedestrian navigation too in case you have to walk from the car to, say, an unfamiliar destination in a new city a block or two away from parking.

Mine stays put nicely on top of the center stack with the friction mount, even taking ramps at twice the posted speed (thanks F-sport sways!)

Good thing I don't leave it on the dash when parking in car shows.

Kinda reaching a bit now eh?

Last edited by Kurtz; 01-19-10 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-19-10, 12:24 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Seems like somebody have a soft spot when talking about navi..
Old 01-19-10, 12:31 PM
Automax Service
Former Sponsor

If you can afford a lexus luxury car, than get a Navi. Not only does it make your car look 10 times better and more expensive, it also works great. When I'm lost, it always bring me home. When I need a gas station or atm, I can find one. I'm from LA and travel to SD a lot, it's good to have it around to see new places. Bluetooth is awesome, especially with LA traffic and driver. And you don't look gay with one of those buetooth ear-ring that everyone is sporting in one ear. Backup cam is useful when parking and coming out. Also the backup cam is in color, a lot of aftermarket ones are in black and white. Some are in black and white, but Fly Audio's backup camera has a beautiful color picture

I won't buy another car without a built in navi. I won't consider the Fly Audio unit a portable GPS, it is a built in system

+ Cheap price
+ multiple car used
- smaller screen
All of your points/opinions are great. I think that is one of the best parts about the Fly Audio unit, it is LESS expensive than the factory system and you have all the benefits of the factory system, but without some of the negatives of aftermarket portable units

Quick Reply: Nav System - Worth it?