IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Nav System - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-06, 05:49 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nav System - Worth it?

I'm considering getting the Nav option, but for me the price/value is a bit hard to justify. I have a portable Garmin system now (ique 3600) which cost me $500. It's great except that it can take a 2-3 minutes to calculate a long route, e.g from Phila to Rutland, VT. Also, you have to use a stylus to enter names and addresses, not very easy to do.

How quickly does the Lexus system recalculate long routes, e.g, 300-400 miles or more. Is it fairly easy to enter names and addresses. What do you like most and least about the Lexus Nav system and would you order this option again?
Old 02-23-06, 05:53 PM
jinetix
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Lexus navigation system is very user friendly and the interface is very simple to adjust to. The touch screen really helps. If you have a good sense of direction, you don't really need it. I decided to go with the nav option purely for looks. I rarely ever use it.. but it's pretty cool to know what streets are coming up and what street you're driving on when you're in an unfamiliar area.

I say get it if you have the extra cash.
Old 02-23-06, 06:04 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

The Nav system is worth it, if anything get it so you won't regret not getting it. Checkout another thread from a month ago that has several posts specifically on this topic; lot of good answers to your question there. As for long-distance route calculation, 2-3 minutes is not very long. Never timed mine but if it took longer than a minute, wouldn't bother me.
Old 02-23-06, 06:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i go between norcal and socal a lot, a good 350-400 miles drive. it doesn't take more than 4 secons to compute the route. it's very good. 2-3mins that's kinda silly i'd say. and also lexus nav is very user friendly. i basically never read the manual

to me the nav option has become a must. i don't ahve nav on my gs400. i got nav on my is300, and now my sc430 as well. it went from "i dont'' think i will ever need it" to "it's not about how much you need it, it's about that ONE time you really wish you had it" to now "it's just a good thing having it"
Old 02-23-06, 06:48 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Get it, I would probably never use nav, but I regret not getting it, because of the way the Dash looks.

I would have gotten it, if they had it in a car which was the color I wanted.
Old 02-23-06, 06:53 PM
mike714
Rookie

Totally worth it. After having one for 6 years, I'll never go back to being lost or using paper maps.
Old 02-23-06, 07:13 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Here's my take.......

Recently, I installed a DVD based in dash nav in my truck. My wife was all up in arms because it was $1400. She said I didn't need it and it was a waste as we have thomas guides to use.

Well, our dogs got out and the neighbors called, but we had no clue where the street was she was on. I typed in the addy and it plotted a route almost instanly about 2 miles from where we were......

My wife said she'll have her crow well done and covered in mustard when we get home.........

The point I'm trying to get at, is that you will not appreciate the indash nav untill you really need it. Get the nav...........
Old 02-23-06, 07:18 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Get it, I would probably never use nav, but I regret not getting it, because of the way the Dash looks.

I would have gotten it, if they had it in a car which was the color I wanted.
You think the dashboard looks $2,500 better with the NAV LCD screen in there?

You must think this is one seriously UGLY dash. Personally, I like the way the NAV dash looks but to pay $2,500-$4,000 (Nav w/ ML) for the "honor" of having controls integrated into a touch screen LCD doesn't sound like a good idea unless you really need or want an integrated nav or the Bluetooth.

BTW, I'm pro-NAV and think they are a useful gadget and fun toy too. It is just when somebody asks me honestly is the "fun gadget factor" worth $2,500 and up, I have to say it is a call that they have to make.

Final Advice:

If you actually enjoy using your Garmin AND like the way the integrated LCD looks and also the way the "lost" hard buttons work from within the NAVs LCD then splurge a little and get the thing because they are pretty cool toys and can be very useful too. And how many toys can you really say that about? IMO, most people who get them and use them like them.

Last edited by CRB; 02-23-06 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-23-06, 07:25 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

I always thought this Nav was a little bit slower because it calculated 3 routes for ever trip. Maybe not. But on the East coast, there are lots of toll roads, a zillion routes to decide on, some highways are preferred over interstates, maybe NYC is particularly a pain to navigate thru with it's one-way streets, bridges, only routes, etc. A computer is a computer but last time I took my Acura Nav to NYC, it was terribly slow (particularly during reroute) compared to everyday in the midwest.
Old 02-23-06, 07:26 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

I originally got my nav for the gadget factor, but found it's very usefull when you really need it.

I buy my cars loaded to start with so either way, I would get it. It is a lot of cash though if you r not going to use it.....
Old 02-23-06, 07:28 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmm, is it worth $2500 for the Nav? No.

Is it worth $2500 for the NAV and no regrets... probably
Old 02-23-06, 07:38 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

If $$$ was no object, I would have got the NAV, as it is a very cool toy. Unfortunatley, $$$ is an object and I just couldn't bring myself to spend the extra dough on it.
Old 02-23-06, 08:55 PM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

I'll probably never buy a car without nav again.
Old 02-23-06, 08:58 PM
aznevoviii
Pole Position

Navi is MUST on new IS!!!
Old 02-23-06, 09:29 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

The dash isn't ugly but it does look much better with the NAV and like others said it might ruin your purchase if you regret it after not going with a NAV. I personally dont use the NAV that much, but when I do, its really awesome, such an upgrade from a infiniti G35 NAV. Plus you get many extras like bluetooth, schelduling like 20 different maintenance things, dvd player if you with ML, and the touch screen radio controls are so convinient.

Quick Reply: Nav System - Worth it?