IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

already sick of the IS

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-06, 01:08 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The M3 is a much more expensive vehicle, so if you were looking at new cars, you should consider that the 350 really isnt meant to compete with the M series. Even against Regular BMWs the IS cant compete on a driving experience level. Though the more powerful engine helps.

IMO, if you are looking for a better handling car, why not modify your own. Since you cant sell it. I heard that the sound deadening materials was worth up to 200lbs(on some show on speed). 200lbs should make a big diff in driving charactoristics.

Add some lightweight wheels and tires(Michelin Pilot Sports are light and good). when some tein comes up with a set of Coilovers and braces, get them. That will get rid of the cushy ride. The steering feel though, I dont think that can be changed.

The braking on the IS doesnt need to be modified though, it gets better after its broken in
Old 01-11-06, 01:12 PM
Penforhire
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enjoy your IS as a pure luxury car with a hot-rod engine. That's what I'd say to myself. Now I happen to agree with your feelings about the IS driving experience but I could tell that from two test drives. Go find someone with a 330i w/Sports package that wants more luxury and offer to trade 'em. I'm keeping mine.
Old 01-11-06, 01:13 PM
ShooExpert
Rookie

For people who want handling why all this talk about an S2K? Go drive the Mazda RX-8. It blows the S2k out of the water and in situations when AWD is not needed it would destroy both the EVO and the WRX.
Old 01-11-06, 01:16 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

possibly the steering feel can be corrected by stiffer bushings. i would wait it out and try to mod it a little since you might be pretty deep into the car. i honestly think you'll be happy after performing a few mods when the aftermarket catches up.
Old 01-11-06, 01:24 PM
RA010324
Driver

Originally Posted by gaijin
I would almost consider a TSX less girlie, because it does seem to be more of a driver's car. I think that is the main trait that I would expect a sports sedan to have; a car that gives the driver great feedback and excitement.

C'mon now.......the TSX has 100 less HP and worst of all is FWD!!!! There's no "excitement" in driving an FWD car. Acura will never have a true sports sedan until they start driving the rear wheels. I've been in the TSX.....it doesn't hold a candle to the IS350 in any possible measurement except that they do offer a very slick 6 speed........but then again so does the IS250 which is more comparable to the TSX in the power department.
Old 01-11-06, 01:37 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, its too bad there is no car that looks as good as the IS, but drives like an EVO. If you want a fun car, you should have just bought the second evo. The only drawbacks are its tought to modify an interior to look classy and the noise. Plus, I think, I am getting too old for that scene(27).

Maybe you should buy a 99 GSX, the interior is a lot nicer than that of the EVO VIII,not sure about the IX. The Eclipse doesnt have the potential of the EVO, but its got potential. If you get the FP Green turbo, and dont get a coil over set up, the car would make a great Daily Driver.

Man, I miss my AWD, and my 99 GSX(323AWHP@23psi).

Last edited by tqlla3k; 01-11-06 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-11-06, 01:55 PM
dennis250
Driver

Originally Posted by ShooExpert
For people who want handling why all this talk about an S2K? Go drive the Mazda RX-8. It blows the S2k out of the water and in situations when AWD is not needed it would destroy both the EVO and the WRX.
If you want handling, drive a MINI. It will out handle anything else. Well, except maybe a Lotus Elise. I own one and I own a mini forum like this one and I've seen it time and time again at the auto-x track. Comes with the option of LSD now too. Now if it only had quattro....
Old 01-11-06, 02:17 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to hear that.

I freaking love my IS!
Old 01-11-06, 02:20 PM
ShooExpert
Rookie

Originally Posted by dennis250
If you want handling, drive a MINI. It will out handle anything else. Well, except maybe a Lotus Elise. I own one and I own a mini forum like this one and I've seen it time and time again at the auto-x track. Comes with the option of LSD now too. Now if it only had quattro....

Actually the only car that handles better than the RX-8 is the Porsche 911 turbo. Any other street legal car (including the mini) doesn't come close. This is from various Road and Track mags.
Old 01-11-06, 02:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts

interior of evo is purpose built? Yes, it is Mitsu Lancer, even blander Toyota Corolla. :-).
Old 01-11-06, 02:40 PM
davlav
Driver School Candidate

Default Try a spec.B

One of the cars I was considering before buying my IS350 was the Subaru Legacy GT spec.B - it's a limited production version of the Legacy that has 18" wheels and upgraded suspension. Got a strong engine, great handling and AWD as well as a very nice clutch/shifter combo and good-quality interior (about Acura level) too. For the price I don't think you can find a better blend of performance and comfort. It's also very reliable and has one of the best safety rating of any car on the road. But for me, who'll be turning 35 this year ( ), the Lexus luxury was more compelling than the fun-to-drive factor of the spec.B.
Old 01-11-06, 02:41 PM
carenthus
Driver

The aftermarket stuff for the 06 IS will be huge in my opinion. Just wait until the aftermarket companies are done with their research. That's one good thing about the IS. By then, you will have luxury, class, and handling performance to your liking.
Old 01-11-06, 02:42 PM
LexFather

Am I the only one that is already sick of my IS350. It's bland, boring and has no character. All my original fears about owning a Lexus are coming true. I was blinded by the acceleration long enough to sign up, but after that wore off I am just bored with the car. Sure it looks alright, and has too many amenities, but the handling sucks, the ride is disconnected and the paddle shifters don't work for *****. They can't get my blue tooth to work right, I spent an hour trying to program my homelink and that still doesn't work and I am starting to feel claustrophobic inside.

I feel like my Mazda6 had more character and was more fun to drive. Even with some after market help (whenever that happens) this will never be a true sports sedan. It is just way too soft and girlie like all Lexi except the previous gen. IS. This car has no edge and is way too watered down trying to appeal to the masses and a global market. I don't think this car will ever succeed in Europe.

Sorry guys, just had to vent. I am pretty depressed about being stuck in this car. I should have bought the used M5 that I was originally after, but I really prefer to buy new cars and I thought this would be an o.k. substitute.
Sigh, this is going to be a level 3 SICKSLAPPING on a 10 scale.

Looking at your sig and what u did/done to your EVO, most ANYCAR is going to make u feel that way. Outside acceleration, the IS has NOTHING in common with the EVO, outside 4 doors (and the EVO copied the IS 300s tails).

I love both cars and understand there is a TARGET MARKET for both and PHILOSOPHIES behind both. The EVO is a rally racer, and a successful one at that. Its based on a Lancer but with so much technology it hangs with sports cars costs 2 to 3 times as much! Its rival is the WRX.

The IS is to blend LUXURY and SPORT. Its a LEXUS. That means A LOT. They have a standard to live up to as a COMPANY whereas the EVO has to live up to being an EVO, not a Mitsubishi, which stands for pretty much nothing but ugly cars and trucks.

If you read reviews on the Mazda6, you will see its a nice FAMILY sedan but it doesn't even beat the Accord in comparos. So much for character. And the Mazdaspeed 6 hasn't blown away reviewers like the IS does. That says a lot. But again, those cars are apples and oranges.

Then u compare an IS to a M5????

So OF COURSE the IS will seem boring to the cars you are comparing it too (outside the Mazda). The M5 is a purpose built, limited edition, sports sedan which was THE sports sedan to have for over 5 years and the ONLY MANUAL in its class.

So please, before u VENT, think about what exactly you are venting about.

Old 01-11-06, 02:47 PM
LexFather

I was spoiled by the handling of my S2K and the Evo, but I feel like my Mazda 6 had better driving dynamics than the Lex. I apologize for the flame comment as you guys are much more mature than people on the other forums I belong to.

I financed 48k because I took a bath on my S2k. I bought it for $20,600 plus fees and put 2k down in June. After 5 payments, my payoff was $19, 500 and I only got $17,500 on trade for an '02 with 27,000 miles. There was a $2,000 mile add to the book value because of the low miles, but when you trade a car it doesn't factor, only when you buy it. I think I paid like $42,500 for my IS with Luxory and nav plus ttl plus payoff equals $48k. Now if I figure my IS is worth what, like $38k maybe, then I am $10k flipped so I can't exactly just go trade it for a different car.

The car I originally was thinking about was like a '91 M5. I have always wanted one and I love the way those drive. I'm not a fan of most newer cars except the Evos because I think they capture the pure driving sensation that the older E30 M3s and those M5s possessed. I was looking for a car that would have a similar feel to that older M5 while still have enough luxory and comfort for daily driving.
And now u compare the IS to a S2000. So THINK about the cars you are comparing it too. NONE OF THESE CARS ARE INTENEDED IS COMPETITION.EVO
Mazda6 (which IMO is nowhere near as sporty as a IS)
S2000
M3/M5

This is like me buying a Lexus GX 470 and complaining "its let me down, its not as sporty as the;"
FX45
Cayenne
X5
RR Sport

See what I am saying? The IS will NEVER be that sporty unless YOU WAIT and get some springs, upgraded sways etc etc. and then its still not a manual and BEING A LEXUS, it will still be refined, quiet and luxurious.

Old 01-11-06, 02:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
Gaijin, why don't you wait another year or so for the new G35 to come out and then trade it up. It'll have over 300hp, and the infiniti's tend to have more of that precise steering feedback that BMW's do. Or.... how about waiting another year for the BMW 335 (turbo I-6) to come out and get that. It'll likely get to 60 around 5.0 seconds or so if not a little under. The interior will be more luxurious than your EVO (if thats something you are looking for) and will have the driving dynamics you seem to want in a car. But hey, look at the brightside, you still have your EVO to drive around in the meantime. Good luck!

EDIT: for anyone who hasn't driven an Evo or STI, i highly recommend test driving one. Then you'll be able to understand why people out there say the IS (or most other cars) have crappy handling compared to them. If a person's priority is not luxury and ride quality, those two cars are the best value hands down for a real drivers car.

EDIT #2: Come on guys, don't flame him. We have more class than that. He's not some troll who's coming on the board dissin the IS for no reason, he OWNS one and shelled out $48,000of his hard-earned money for it. He has every right to feel the way he does. His priorities in a car may be different than those of most people on this board, but that doesn't mean he's wrong to have those priorities.
No one is flaming him but understand this is an IS forum and his opening post was less than flattering.
Also, the G35 is not a step up, rather an even trade, if not a slight step down

Quick Reply: already sick of the IS