ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013-163/)
-   -   already sick of the IS (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/195530-already-sick-of-the-is.html)

gaijin 01-11-06 09:11 AM

already sick of the IS

Am I the only one that is already sick of my IS350. It's bland, boring and has no character. All my original fears about owning a Lexus are coming true. I was blinded by the acceleration long enough to sign up, but after that wore off I am just bored with the car. Sure it looks alright, and has too many amenities, but the handling sucks, the ride is disconnected and the paddle shifters don't work for *****. They can't get my blue tooth to work right, I spent an hour trying to program my homelink and that still doesn't work and I am starting to feel claustrophobic inside.

I feel like my Mazda6 had more character and was more fun to drive. Even with some after market help (whenever that happens) this will never be a true sports sedan. It is just way too soft and girlie like all Lexi except the previous gen. IS. This car has no edge and is way too watered down trying to appeal to the masses and a global market. I don't think this car will ever succeed in Europe.

Sorry guys, just had to vent. I am pretty depressed about being stuck in this car. I should have bought the used M5 that I was originally after, but I really prefer to buy new cars and I thought this would be an o.k. substitute.

Morrissey 01-11-06 09:14 AM

It's all a matter of taste. Some people enjoy class and luxury over pure performance. I see you own an Evo. To me that's one of the ugliest and blandest cars out there, next to the WRX. Sure, it's a beast under the hood, but that's not all that matters to people

I used to own a 2004 350Z, which was a performance vehicle but looked good at the same time. Cars like the Evo and the WRX have more bang for your buck in terms of performance, but are just dog ugly in my opinion.

Sorry to hear you didn't end up liking your purchase. It's just a car though...I'm sure you can get rid of it pretty easily since the demand for the IS is so high right now.

ES3 01-11-06 09:15 AM

Are you for real? Geesh, you're a tough critic? How often do you buy new cars? Heck I suppose you could sell your IS350 for a loss and get that used M5!? I can say that my IS350 is the best car I've ever owned? I keep discovering new features, can't get enough of the 5th gen navigation and ML, and I've had no problems programming the home-link. (You have to hold down both buttons for around 30 seconds or so). Anyway, sorry you're so depressed. Hope it all works out. :sad:

terp05 01-11-06 09:16 AM

I must say, every time I walk up to my IS to drive it I say to myself "damn I love this car". Granted, this is my first new car and first sports sedan I've ever owned. I will have had my car 2 months this week, with around 4k miles on it.

I consider the bluetooth phone sync to be one of the best options on the car- and can see how your opinion would be deflated if it didn't work.

Sorry to hear your story- of course no car is perfect for everyone

rominl 01-11-06 09:17 AM

sorry to hear that, so much about spending so much money buying the wrong car

thank god after 3 yrs i am still happy every time i drive my gs400

hopefully you can find your new love with the is350

RA010324 01-11-06 09:23 AM

I think the handling of the IS is fantastic!!!! Much more precise and much better feel than I anticipated. I drove the IS and the 330i with sport package on the same day and the Bimmer was better.....but not by as much as the press makes it out to be. And I also own a 350Z so I know about good handling. For a sport sedan, the IS is very good.

As far as the paddle shifters...well....that's probably where you made the biggest mistake....you're not gonna have much of a "sporty" feel with a slushbox......which is why I went with the IS250.

Bottom line though is that IMHO if you're bored with the IS350, a sport sedan just may not be your thing. Other than a substandard paddle shifter, the rest of the car is on par with the Audi/BMW competition. Now, moving up to an M5 is another matter entirely.......they're like SUPER sport sedans....not really comparable to an IS.

kensteele 01-11-06 09:27 AM

You think this is a girl's car? No, the TSX is a girl's car. :p

Jimmer350 01-11-06 09:29 AM

That sucks you regret your decision. Looks to me like you're a hard-core performance only matters person. Nothing wrong with that! I just traded in my 2001 BMW Dinan 330ci that was very modded because I was getting sick of the "performance only" feel. I had it set up for the track and used it as a daily driver.
This IS350 (with Sport Pkg) is a perfect combination of luxury first then performance in my opinion.

I would never keep a car I wasn't happy with. Cut your losses now and trade to something you want.

INHOCJP 01-11-06 09:33 AM

Nice to see you did your due diligence before buying the IS :rolleyes:

dennis250 01-11-06 09:34 AM

I'll take it off your hands for 35k! :D

Cypren 01-11-06 10:11 AM

I'm sorry to hear you're disappointed with the IS -- hope you can find a good solution, either by tuning the car or getting a good trade-in.

I can't get enough of my car, personally. Granted, I'm not a performance driver -- I'd never buy an Evo or STi -- but I do enjoy this car's handling and power. And I keep finding myself making excuses to go places just so I can drive. =)

gaijin 01-11-06 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by ES3
Are you for real? Geesh, you're a tough critic? How often do you buy new cars? Heck I suppose you could sell your IS350 for a loss and get that used M5!? I can say that my IS350 is the best car I've ever owned? I keep discovering new features, can't get enough of the 5th gen navigation and ML, and I've had no problems programming the home-link. (You have to hold down both buttons for around 30 seconds or so). Anyway, sorry you're so depressed. Hope it all works out. :sad:

I traded my '03 Mazda6 S for my '05 Evo in Dec. '04, then in June '05 sold my '86 RX7 and bought an '02 S2K as a daily driver while my Evo was being built. The S2K was too harsh as a daily driver and after 6 months of it kicking my ass every day I wanted something more comfortable to sit in traffic everyday without sacrificing that much performance.

I really do like gadgets and those are great in the IS, it is the lack of feeling connected to the road and the body roll that really get me. I know that I can do some coilovers and sway bars to reduce the body roll, but I can't do anything about the steering feel. I also thought that an auto would be convenient as about half of my driving is stop and go, but I really hate it.

Now that I think about it more, the problem may not be the whole car. It may just be my frustration with the automatic culminating in the other minor annoyances.

I don't consider the M5 to be a super sports sedan, just a proper one.

Thanks for all the flaming guys, I wouldn't have expected anything less, though I thought there may have been a couple of sympethizers on here.

I would almost consider a TSX less girlie, because it does seem to be more of a driver's car. I think that is the main trait that I would expect a sports sedan to have; a car that gives the driver great feedback and excitement.

shaolin 01-11-06 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by dennis250
I'll take it off your hands for 35k! :D

someone offers

gaijin 01-11-06 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Nice to see you did your due diligence before buying the IS :rolleyes:

You are completely right. I was planning on buying an Evo IX MR for a daily driver, then I couldn't get the Graphite Gray one I wanted so I just was in the car buying mood. I was looking at G35 coupes and M3s, but I didn't want a car that was already old so I liked the fact that the IS was brand new from the ground up. I absolutely should have waited and shopped, but being in the car business, I hate car shopping more than anybody.

shaolin 01-11-06 10:37 AM

i don't think you are wrong at all. i had mazda 6, i still have s2k, and now i have the IS. the thing

is that you can't really compare the previous car and even your evo with the new IS. Lexus are

known to be luxury and quietness... + reliable. the IS is a car that i believe you can keep it for a

long long time without having too much of problems. the weight of this car and the body roll just

not that good at all. i sometime feel that i can out handle my IS with my old mazda 6 but that's

maybe i haven't or too scare to drive hard on the new lexus. for normal daily driving i think IS

is :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: . i'm going to take this car for a long trip tomorrow and

hopefully i can do a write up later.

so yea, it really depends on what you really really want. seems like money is not a issue for you..

why not keep the IS just to have one very luxury car to have?? you still have the evo and s2k to

have fun with. s2k not enough handling for ya??