IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyway to turn off the pressure sensor??

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-05, 01:45 AM
VanIS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyway to turn off the pressure sensor??

Hi guys! I just picked up my IS350 2 weeks ago, just lovin it ever since ! Because of the snow here last week, I got some snow tires with a set of 17" wheels on it. I don't have tire pressure sensor installed on the wheels. But somehow the tire pressure warning light did not come up right away, not until a whole day after I was driving with the snow tires ...

Since there's no pressure sensor installed, the warning signal is there all time when driving. I took it back to the dealer but they couldn't turn it off. They told me that it's not anything that would affect the driving at all, and as soon as I have the original tires+wheels back on the light should go off. In the mean time, does anybody here know how to turn off the tire pressure sensor warning light?? Thank's in advance!!
Old 12-10-05, 03:38 AM
shox
Pole Position

Isn't there two tire pressure settings? If so, just set the second one to the amount of psi you have set on your winter tires.
Old 12-10-05, 05:27 AM
isdsms
Driver

Originally Posted by shox
Isn't there two tire pressure settings? If so, just set the second one to the amount of psi you have set on your winter tires.
There are 2 settings, but you would to have another set of sensors on your winter tires and they are expensive. I know of no way to turn the sensor off.
Old 12-12-05, 01:05 AM
VanIS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shox
Yeah, I tried the 2nd tire pressure sensor setting and it didn't work because I don't have any pressure sensor installed . I think it's kinda weird that they don't have an actual "off" setting for that. They must be expecting people who owns a second set of tires/rims to buy the sensor from them. But the fact is that, the sensor might not fit into different design of rims out in the market.

BTW, does anybody thing that it might be a warrenty issue that they don't have the off setting for it?? Just wondering...
Old 12-12-05, 08:26 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is not a warranty issue.
Old 12-12-05, 12:09 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

it's not a warranty issue because Lexus did not require you to get a second set of wheels/tires. The manual does state that you can reinstall the sensor on a different set of wheels, although it's quite impractical to dismount the tires to get to the sensors every time. All the newer cars are required to have tire pressure sensors--I doubt that Lexus would deactivate them for logistic/legal reasons (same way they don't like to turn off air bags), for the fear that some idiot somewhere drives until the tire falls off due to low pressure, feigns ignorance and sues Lexus for deactivating the warning in the first place. Either get another set of sensors or live with the warning light.
Old 12-12-05, 10:05 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VanIS350
Hi guys! I just picked up my IS350 2 weeks ago, just lovin it ever since ! Because of the snow here last week, I got some snow tires with a set of 17" wheels on it. I don't have tire pressure sensor installed on the wheels. But somehow the tire pressure warning light did not come up right away, not until a whole day after I was driving with the snow tires ...

Since there's no pressure sensor installed, the warning signal is there all time when driving. I took it back to the dealer but they couldn't turn it off. They told me that it's not anything that would affect the driving at all, and as soon as I have the original tires+wheels back on the light should go off. In the mean time, does anybody here know how to turn off the tire pressure sensor warning light?? Thank's in advance!!
if u had it done in the dealership and also depending on what package u got

the sensors should be on the rims already.

or when they regestered the sensors they didnt pick the 2nd set of tires(programing in the car)

or ur low in air