IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Auto Tranny - IS350 for racing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-05, 06:45 PM
izzyracer
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auto Tranny - IS350 for racing?

According to Lexus Racing during the Speed Channel episode, they will be using the Auto Tranny since they say it is good enough to compete. Am I hearing this right?

A lot of people has been dissing this system and a lot too are saying this is the best automatic out there.

I myself think is very quick and awesome after been driving my car for a couple plus weeks now and Lexus Racing using it to compete just prove that this is indeed a competitive tranny.

What do you guys think?
Old 11-24-05, 08:04 PM
T Man 97
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I honestly don't think they're going to use it. If they do, they will have to find some way of making it shift faster (like a VB upgrade for the 1st generation IS). Otherwise, they'll probably just find some way of putting a manual transmission in.
Old 11-24-05, 09:13 PM
izzyracer
Driver

Originally Posted by T Man 97
I honestly don't think they're going to use it. If they do, they will have to find some way of making it shift faster (like a VB upgrade for the 1st generation IS). Otherwise, they'll probably just find some way of putting a manual transmission in.
Ummm.. they are using it.
Old 11-24-05, 09:16 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

I saw that episode also. (Thank god for DVR)

I found that interesting also that they are using the auto transmission. That just proves how well Lexus tuned the car for performance. Wow!

I want one!
Old 11-25-05, 05:43 AM
mkivbadger
Rookie

I saw the Speed Channel program where they did in fact say that they would be using the auto. If they do, I suspect that they will be "building" it to make it perform quicker - increasing line pressure, changing out spragues, etc.
Old 11-25-05, 05:51 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 135 Likes on 102 Posts

it is currently the fastest real Automatic transmission in the world. They might or might not tune it to make it even faster, at the expensive of comforts not needed (abrupt shifts).

In everything else, it performes as an manual - holds gears and bounces off the rev limiter all you want.

in fact, F1 uses semi-automatic transmissions as well...
Old 11-25-05, 07:15 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is currently the fastest real Automatic transmission in the world. They might or might not tune it to make it even faster, at the expensive of comforts not needed (abrupt shifts).

In everything else, it performes as an manual - holds gears and bounces off the rev limiter all you want.

in fact, F1 uses semi-automatic transmissions as well...
"the fastest auto transmissio in the world?" Is this just a claim made by Lexus, or was it actually verified by a third party. I test drove an IS350--while the shifts were smooth, it did not seem particularly fast (or maybe it was the hesitation/pause between pressing the gas pedal and the transmission deciding to downshift). The pause between shifts while shifting with the paddles was too long (switching to sport mode on the ECT button seemed to quickened it a bit).
Old 11-25-05, 07:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jlin101
"the fastest auto transmissio in the world?" Is this just a claim made by Lexus, or was it actually verified by a third party. I test drove an IS350--while the shifts were smooth, it did not seem particularly fast (or maybe it was the hesitation/pause between pressing the gas pedal and the transmission deciding to downshift). The pause between shifts while shifting with the paddles was too long (switching to sport mode on the ECT button seemed to quickened it a bit).
It is what Lexus chief engineer said, and testing in general proves it is very fast.
Recent comparos also said it was the faster acting than 330i's steptronic.

Dont confuse perception of speed with actual speed. In MT, you have several steps to take after you make decision to change gears, while with paddles you flick it and thats it.
Old 11-25-05, 09:05 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

does the Sport setting on the ECT just increase upshift point to a higher RPM or does it quicken the shift like BMW's and Ferrari's SMG?
Old 11-25-05, 11:21 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jlin101
does the Sport setting on the ECT just increase upshift point to a higher RPM or does it quicken the shift like BMW's and Ferrari's SMG?
it does both, however not to confuse things, 6AT found in IS is real AT, and not robotized manual transmition like in BMW...
Old 11-25-05, 12:19 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
it does both, however not to confuse things, 6AT found in IS is real AT, and not robotized manual transmition like in BMW...
yes, I know that, although I've never driven a SMG, so I don't know how a clutchless manual feels compared to AT with manual shift. Too bad Lexus doesn't offer DSG like Audi does.
Old 11-25-05, 02:27 PM
izzyracer
Driver

I drove an MSG M3 before and the sales person was very technically knowledgeable in that he was helping me learn to drive the MSG. Help me learn? Yes because this car will feel jerky if you drive it like a traditional automatic. Basically, (in automatic mode) he was saying that you must learn to anticipate the car shifting and when you fell it shift you must time and let go a little bit of the gas pedal. Just like how you do it in a regular manual shifter. The only problem is you can't see the car shift physically so that is where the trick is. For us enthusiast, it's a great feel. But honestly, I'd rather stay with a manual shift and if I want convenience. I'll go with an automatic like the one I have now in the IS350 that has 0 learning curve.
Old 11-25-05, 02:43 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by izzyracer
I drove an MSG M3 before and the sales person was very technically knowledgeable in that he was helping me learn to drive the MSG. Help me learn? Yes because this car will feel jerky if you drive it like a traditional automatic. Basically, (in automatic mode) he was saying that you must learn to anticipate the car shifting and when you fell it shift you must time and let go a little bit of the gas pedal. Just like how you do it in a regular manual shifter. The only problem is you can't see the car shift physically so that is where the trick is. For us enthusiast, it's a great feel. But honestly, I'd rather stay with a manual shift and if I want convenience. I'll go with an automatic like the one I have now in the IS350 that has 0 learning curve.
I heard the new SMG tranny in the M5 is much improved in full auto mode. Not as smooth as a TC automatic still, but much smoother than the previous SMG.