IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Ballast or Bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-19, 08:45 PM
Goldade
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ballast or Bulb?

Passenger Low Beam sometimes goes out. Been doing that for the last few months. Any ideas on which it would be? just have to flick it back on to have it come back on but don't want it going bad at a bad time like winter when I can't work on it. Any ideas? Also how to replace it easiest without taking off the bumper?
Old 04-02-19, 05:48 AM
daddystop
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

You have to take the bumper off to remove the headlight housing. Be prepared to spend ~$100 on a new HID bulb if the bulb is bad. DO NOT TOUCH IT with your fingers, wear gloves. If you get oil on it, it will fail.... oil from your hands natural oils. I had a problem where I thought my balast had gone bad. I bought a new one and in replacing it I figured out that I had put the HID bulb in crooked and it wasn't seating. The installation was the problem and the parts were good so now I have a spare ballast.

Anyway, you can test what you have if you swap bulbs between lights and see if the problem moves or stays on the same side of the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by daddystop:
Goldade (04-02-19), rganap (09-30-19)
Old 04-04-19, 01:13 PM
KrisOK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Goldade
Passenger Low Beam sometimes goes out. Been doing that for the last few months. Any ideas on which it would be? just have to flick it back on to have it come back on but don't want it going bad at a bad time like winter when I can't work on it. Any ideas? Also how to replace it easiest without taking off the bumper?
sounds like the typical symptoms of a bad ballast. Eventually it’ll stop working, even the “flicking” won’t work. You can replace it pretty easily, as previously mentioned you’ll have to take the bumper off to remove the headlight. The ballast is on the bottom of the light fixture.
Old 04-23-19, 07:34 PM
Lexyaaaas
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What kind of bulbs are you using?
Old 08-29-19, 12:54 PM
Stuis01
Driver School Candidate

Default Ballast

Probably ballast if your high beam still work
I'm having this issue
Replaced bulb and same problem

There's a YouTube guy who shows you how to replace ballast without removing front bumper it's amazing.

I'll try to find link

here
Old 09-24-19, 11:58 PM
zKabi
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to thread steal but one of my HID give off a purplish hue vs the bluish white one. This mean I need a new bulb right?
Old 09-25-19, 04:28 AM
daddystop
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zKabi
Sorry to thread steal but one of my HID give off a purplish hue vs the bluish white one. This mean I need a new bulb right?
Look up Kelvin color temperature scale and you will see that you likely have a bulb that matches some color there.... as most any HID bulb does.

In any case, saying sorry and thread jacking doesn't make it better. I'd just post a new thread if you have a question specific to your car.
Old 09-25-19, 04:50 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts

Being able to thump it to make it work is usually always a ballast issue. If the bulb was burnt, it would't work for anything. The only other thing would be a loose fitting connection. So as always, inspect first.
Old 09-25-19, 06:39 AM
daddystop
Pole Position

Lol, I one time bought a ballast and 2 HID bulbs (you know how expensive they are if you've replaced them)..... trying to fix my headlight that wouldn't come on.

"Come to find out" I didn't have the bulb properly seated in it's holder so it wasn't making contact at all. Now I have spare bulbs and ballasts for when I need them haha.
Old 09-26-19, 07:56 AM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by zKabi
This is normally a sign of a bulb that's about to fail. Especially if both lights were once the same color for years then all of a sudden you notice a colorshift.
It happened to me in my old car (00 Acura TL) where the light went from pure white to yellowish with a hint of reddish purple in the reflector housing. It was very noticable and it happened rather quickly, over a period of 5 days

Now if you buy brand new bulbs, and one is a different color, that's usually a sign you have 2 bulbs of different Kelvin temperatures, aka different colors
Old 09-26-19, 08:57 AM
rganap
Driver School Candidate

I have driver side bulb replaced and the the low beam does not work. It work some time there no certainty that it will work.
I was wondering ballast is bad, if so is it good practice to replace both drive and passenger side replaced. Also I was wondering if anybody has replace whole headlight both side to simple halogen type to avoid dealing with Hid and ballast for long terM.
Old 09-30-19, 08:23 AM
rganap
Driver School Candidate

Hi ;
How good are ballast that is sold by Amazon?
The OEM Ballast sold by dealers are very expensive.
Wait for your comments.
Regards
Rayman