IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Difference between jdm and usdm 2jz-GE

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-19, 09:08 AM
dolalexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between jdm and usdm 2jz-GE

Bought a lexus is300 2004 with a jdm 2jzge swap claimed by the owner. Was wondering if there was any differences between the jdm and us one so i can know if i really have the jdm engine or not!?
Old 03-28-19, 08:16 PM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Dont' know if it's important as long as you are happy with the car. Collection value is toast anyway after a swap. But, from my knowledge, an engine code would stay the same if it is a same engine version. If the specs are changed slightly, the engine code should be modified. (ex : 2JZGE vs 2JZGTE).

Just for notice that the IS300 comes with a 2JZge engine from stock. So the owner made, maybe, a replacement of the existing engine, but nothing more.
Old 03-28-19, 08:19 PM
dolalexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Benoit
Dont' know if it's important as long as you are happy with the car. Collection value is toast anyway after a swap. But, from my knowledge, an engine code would stay the same if it is a same engine version. If the specs are changed slightly, the engine code should be modified. (ex : 2JZGE vs 2JZGTE).

Just for notice that the IS300 comes with a 2JZge engine from stock. So the owner made, maybe, a replacement of the existing engine, but nothing more.

So then is there anyway i can find out the actual miles on the engine to be safe or no?
Old 03-29-19, 05:12 AM
daddystop
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

No, there is no way for you to KNOW what the mileage is.
Old 03-29-19, 05:39 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Odometer would be one thing. Having a perfect service history book would be another method, because services are generally noticed there. And knowing how to recognize tempered car papers would be a good advice too, because they are patterns that can be recognized in this matter.

Now, for myself, in Switzerland where we don't have carfax, in general, when I buy use. I will choose a trustful source = a good swiss person. And there is a perfectly rational reason why I would do such a thing. This would allow me to be 95% percent safe. Because swiss mentality will automatically lead them to say everything that was wrong with the car. Even a used car seller will immediately point the strongs and bads of his product, and I know it could sound from another planet, but it really is so. Yes, we have our hood gangsta's around, but you know to recognize them and automatically, will stay out of business with them. if I still doesn't trust the seller, or really want to be sure, they are specific institutions that do tests and controls in their own roomings (TCS in Geneva for example). There, you can check all those little thing, how the engine runs, was there some untold accident, how are the hoes... and so on. This give a pretty accurate picture of a car.

In the car paradise USA, i'm sure the same kind of services would be available (I know some of your car collectors for Porsche do exactly that when they buy used). But one of my forum colleagues will probably be more helpful for you in this regard.