IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Sprint 500 Is300

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-18, 02:31 PM
Noobus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sprint 500 Is300

Heya guys, i have an issue maybe you can all help me with. I have a sprint 500 basically piggybacked running my fuel and ignition and whatnot. Just did my rebuild after like 2 years of being down, and i cant get it to start. Im assuming plenty of guys on here have experience with Haltech products. All of my sensors are working properly, except crank signal. I have checked wiring between the sensor multiple times, ran brand new wires directly to the Haltech, even changed the crank sensor. I can tell the sensor is working because the fuel pump runs while cranking. But no RPM signal to Haltech. Would it be possible the ECU is dead? Seems weird that everything is working except trigger signal. I have fuel pressure, 45 lbs to the rail, spark, but no injector pulse. Which from my understanding is because the haltech isnt seeing trigger reference. Any ideas? Picture added for fun =)
Old 11-13-18, 04:02 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts

How far did you go into the "re-build"? Did you have the crank out of the car? Check for possible damage to the teeth on the crank. Pull the sensor and use a mirror or whatever you have to and turn the engine by hand looking for possible damage. Maybe the sensor ins't seeing the reluctor due to damaged/missing teeth. Also consider using a lab scope on the crank sensor and cam sensors. I don't know for sure on these engines, but some use cam and crank signals in conjunction to give an rpm signal. You may find with a lab scope that the crank sensor is actually giving a good square wave, and a cam sensor is not and may be responsible for your no rpm signal.

Again, I'm new to the 2jz and only speculating, just thinking outside the box.
Old 11-13-18, 05:14 AM
Noobus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its an entirely different engine. I inspected crank trigger wheel, that looks totally fine. I did buy a new cam sensor that maybe i should throw in quick. Those oscilloscopes seem pretty expensive, is there an affordable one that you guys know of thats decent? I appreciate the ideas! I feel like im running out of them lol.
Old 11-20-18, 05:51 PM
daddystop
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Search "logic analyzer" too.... it's the same thing as an o-scope (I think). I remember reading this article on hackaday a while back about some good ones that were affordable:

https://hackaday.com/2009/03/06/tool...ogic-analyzer/

I mean, you're still looking at ~$400 but I imagine if you're used to buying good car parts this isn't that big of a deal since you can use it more places than just right here right now with this one problem you are having.

What kind of settings are in the Haltech software for getting a tach to work? I don't even think you need to use a logic analyzer to see if your crank signal is working. You can just watch a multimeter show voltage go on and off, you don't have to see an actual square wave or anything. Also, the fact that your fuel pump is coming on and probably your injectors too is proof enough that the sensor is seeing the crank trigger. I'd look into the ecu/software side of things, it sounds like your hardware is working properly to me.