IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

2003 IS300 with a sticky dashboard.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-18, 08:52 AM
Vriesea
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 IS300 with a sticky dashboard.

Sticky dashboard caused by heat/humidty. Will Lexus do anything about this? What are my options?

Thanks, Ed
Old 04-13-18, 09:02 PM
rockosocko
Driver School Candidate

Just got my first '02 IS (first toyota ) and thought that someone peeled off some kind of wood grain or carbon fiber and left the adhesive. BUT no..
Then started to clean the make-up and ______ off the steering wheel, master switch on door and cigarette residue/******t (sorry, but after pulling the center console around the shifter I found all sorts of crap.. JEESH)

Anywho, I took out the console, brought it in the kitchen (wife was gone) and used boiling water/Spic-n-Span with a scotch brite pad, And with rubber gloves kept scrubbing til it started to turn a lighter gray. Then let it dry (or use a blow-dryer for the nooks and cranny's and shot some Harbor Freight bed liner on it and it came out pretty nice (on the console that is) Has the texture of about 120grit sand paper. NOT like 60grit, Rino lining.

I have a hand steamer that looks like a spray gun that I'm going to try on the dash to minimize the liquid sloppin around getting where I don't want..
Also, Lysol came out with "CLEAN and FRESH" that doesn't seem to bleach any cloth or carpeting as of yet. But sure smell lots better than hair spray, cigarettes and cheap cologne..

You can try and find some short, stiff bristled brush that holds some cleaning solution, just not really dripping all over. (just more to clean up after) and scrub away..
Don't use that much soap, otherwise it could leave a residue, and might be back to 'sticky' feeling.

If you go the spray-can-bed-liner, get some cheap blue painters tape. About 2" wide and tape to newspaper as a skirt and mask off what you don't want painted.
While your getting things taped off, put the spray cans in a pot of hot water and get it kinda hot, not to you can't hold it, just barely. (I think it flows and sets better. Might just be me but..) Use short, quick bursts of spray.

I'd post pics but every time I hook my phone to my laptop, it starts trying to download Messenger and Fakebook.. (and I DON'T do that so.. no pics)
But there's a few good video's on Youtube. But you're just gonna have to set a day away to pull the pass seat, console, vents radio etc and would be a good time to change your cabin filter (behind the drop down glove box. The filter itself is in a light plastic frame that slides out and you pop out the filter and replace with new, and slider back in)

IF you find any lotto tickets, Google the numbers before tossing them..

E

Last edited by rockosocko; 04-13-18 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-14-18, 02:14 PM
IcyBishop
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 68 Posts

Basically your only options are to buy a new dash or refinish your current one. There's a lot of great info on my.is regarding the sticky dash problem.
Old 04-25-18, 10:56 AM
rayson
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m about to redo my dash following user ‘Madchyers’ DIY. Basically I’m going to remove the dash and all parts with the funky gunk and remove then repaint. You can google his name and dash IS300 and find a host of info.
Old 05-16-18, 04:10 AM
braddman
Driver School Candidate

I am also about to do this. Mine is really bad and someone decided it would be smart to slap some of those carbon fiber stickers on top of everything. I absolutely HATE that.