IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

2005 IS300 No Crank, No Start

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-17, 12:37 PM
Skyvayne
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 IS300 No Crank, No Start

Hello and thanks in advance for any help.

I recently bought an IS300 that had a blown head gasket and immediately dove into repairing it. The head was rebuilt and resurfaced within spec, blah blah, and was installed with no troubles. Car fired right up, first try and every try after, until the following day.

I hopped in the car to take it to work for the first time, and absolutely nothing happened when I went to start it. Key turns all the way, accessories all work, but nothing happens to the motor/starter when I turn the key. The radio and clock die, but that is it when I turn the key all the way. This happened the day after it stormed incredibly hard the night before, so I do not know if that is related.

So recap: This problem is intermittent. The security light is not flashing when I insert the key. Not a security issue. The starter does not engage. No clicks, no noise, nothing. All grounds have been checked under the hood, most wires have been checked for continuity and all check out, except for the black and yellow wire that goes to the starter. The constant 12 volt thick gauge cable to the starter has a solid 12+ volts. The black and yellow wire reads about .01 volts when I turn the key. The only thing that happens when I turn the key is the radio and clock shut off while the key is turned. No lights dim. All accessories still work. It is not a battery issue. I have put a brand new battery and terminals in the car to alleviate any possibility of that. I have checked the AM2 fuse and all other fuses and relays in the car, and they are all good. I have removed the ignition cylinder to inspect the connections within, and it is good.

The one thing I was positive it could be is that some teeth on the crank gear may have broken off, the crank sensor may not be able to see the crank, hence the no start, no crank. I turn the engine by hand in small increments and it makes no difference. Still won't do anything.

The radio dying is a big clue for me, but I don't know what to do with that information.

If anyone can help or has any ideas, please let me know.

Thank you so much.
Old 04-20-17, 02:47 AM
Aussie940
Driver School Candidate

Hi

Its now the 20 April and some time has passed since your post. Have you managed to solve your starting problem and if so what turned out to be the problem(s).

From my experience with my 2005 IS300 I have found that leaving the key in the ignition has led, on some occasions, to a dead battery next day. There is no problem if the key is removed when engine is turned off over night.

Any would like to know how your starting problem is now fixed.

Cheers

Ric
Old 04-20-17, 04:36 AM
Skyvayne
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aussie940
Hi

Its now the 20 April and some time has passed since your post. Have you managed to solve your starting problem and if so what turned out to be the problem(s).

From my experience with my 2005 IS300 I have found that leaving the key in the ignition has led, on some occasions, to a dead battery next day. There is no problem if the key is removed when engine is turned off over night.

Any would like to know how your starting problem is now fixed.

Cheers

Ric
It actually ended up being a loss in continuity from the last starter fuse to the starter. I wasn't about to tear the entire harness apart to find where the wire was busted, so I ran my own wire from the last fuse directly to the starter connection and all problems were solved!