New guy!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-16, 02:23 AM
TacoMitch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy!

Hey CL!

I have a 2001 IS300, been lurking several sights looking for information and ideas (both good and bad ) and I figured it was time to share the knowledge I've accumulated somewhere!

I've done a fair amount of work to my IS, but it seems like not much, if that makes sense..

The day I brought the car home:

Washed and cleaned out the previous owner scum, and swapped on the summer alloys.. Here's where the fun begins

For some reason I can't access the pictures on my Flickr at the moment so I don't have a legitimate "before" picture, but here's a during

Final product, I had to do both sides.

An artsy picture of the ol' girl

Being an '01, as we know they only came in automatic... So we had to change that..
Parts car! 1987 Toyota Supra Turbo

Some say this is my natural habitat.. Others say its a waste of time. But truthfully its pretty much paradise. (and yes, stacking tires.. ghetto lift but it got the job done).

And here we have it! A couple busted knuckles, a few swear words and some awkward moments later we have an R154.

The car went away for the winter shortly after this fun. When it emerged some more stuff went down

I also stole the LSD out of the Supra for the IS. I really cant complain.. I paid 500 bucks for the car, took the transmission and rear diff and sold it for 475. I guess that's what happens when you post it on your local buy and sell for "best offer, want gone". I got lucky this time, that's for sure!

I was tossing MAAAAD ABS codes after I had the subframe out. Jumped some ports in the OBD2 thingy and got what I needed for codes, Got new axles, once again had a speedo!!

I needed to extend the shifter for the swap, I took it to a couple of local welding places and they wanted between 4 and 500 bucks to extend it! NOPE learning to weld aluminum and doing it myself. (I TIG weld stainless steel all the time for work, so it was a matter of watching some YouTube and practicing a little).

Fuel pump died, (yes that's my truck hence the name).

I went with a Walboro 255LPH pump, it was the most inexpensive option.. I was really nervous to swap out the pump but it really wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting.

Shortly after that the rest of the parts I was waiting for to start the swap came in and BAM:

I ended up having to make a custom crossmember, even though I read that the factory one would work!?!?! Some things on the interwebs just aren't true...

And here it sits today on Ford Fusion wheels. ( I know I know... I'm not a fan, but I got them realllly cheap because they're Ford wheels, and I wanted to get something a little wider than the 205's. now we're sitting on 235's )

And one more picture for good luck!

The Tasty Taco!

This may or may not have been the worlds longest introduction.. thinking about it now I'm not even sure I put this in the right subfrom... It's 6:21AM and I'm coming to an end of a 12 hour night shift, give me a break please
Old 07-11-16, 10:18 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

welcome and great work so far, esp on the extended shifter and rust fixes! wished that I could learn to weld myself.
Old 07-12-16, 11:56 PM
mmartin061
banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya man nice write up. And I am actually looking at another IS300 which I can comfortably afford. I sold my ISF :-(
Old 07-13-16, 09:23 AM
IcyBishop
Intermediate

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

great DIY work!!
Did you re-use the clutch that came with the car, aftermarket, or new oem stuff?
Old 07-14-16, 10:02 AM
DrDDay
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent intro.

I like the handy work. Keep us updated. I love good old ingenuity.