IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Is300 headunit help

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-16, 03:34 PM
bmx2jayz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is300 headunit help

Im having some issues finding out what i need to do for my stereo system if anybody can help me that would be very nice. So i ordered some 6x9 rockford fosgates for my rear deck and they wont work because the oem speakers are 2ohm i think. So is there any way to wire them straight to my oem amp? Also i will be getting a new head unit, another question i have is if i need a tyt-01 harness inorder to put some cheap amazon aftermarker double din head unit in my car? And if can get the headunit in smoothly i could also wire the 6x9s to the headunit. I also took 2 12inch subs and an amp out of my other car and i was wondering if i could just put my amp in and run everything from the amp (the 6x9s & the subs) so if anybody could inform me whats best to do with what i have? My main questions are if i need a harness to install an aftermarket head unit into my 2002 is300 or if i could just wire it straight up? And also could i connect my speakers to my headunit? My stock speakers from my car are shot so i dont plan on putting them back in, but i do plan on installing subs and an amp and a head unit and 6x9s so it would be greatly appreciated if anyone can let me know what i need in order to put these things in!
Old 06-21-16, 02:45 PM
chriswf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not an IS300 owner yet - but I've replaced stereos in cars with factory amps.

If you have a factory amp, you COULD connect to it. But if it's on the same channel as different speakers - they could pull more or less power than the different speakers. Thus making it hard to balance the sound.

I once tried 2 different 2ohm subs on a single amp - one sub banged like hell. The other sub was very limp.

I've replaced 2ohm speakers + wiring (deleted the factory amp) in an 89 Probe Gt Turbo. I basically bought speaker wire and rewired the entire car to the head unit. Wasn't hard. I taped labels to the wires behind the head unit.

I THOUGHT about doing the same thing if my g35 stereo ever goes out. IF I were to do this, I'd probably replace the factory amp(s). And run the wires into the aftermarket amp. Then plug that amp up to the back of the new headunit (b/c the g35 head unit is really just a disc changer with dials).

Edit: g35s have audio systems that fail quite often, hopefully I'll get an is300 and sell the g35 before this happens.