IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Can't disconnect door lock rods from clips

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-16, 08:14 PM
wentwest
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't disconnect door lock rods from clips

I am trying to remove the door lock actuator (driver's side, 2005 is300) to replace the locking motor. I can't get the rods out of the clips at the handle end. I can open the red and the white clip, but I can't get the rod end to snap out of the clip. Since I've got about 5 hours of work into this thing, I'm pretty worn out, and there must be something I'm missing.

For background, I have tools and I spend a lot of time rebuilding old motorcycles and scooters. I've rebuilt transmissions and engines, and I know my way around a shop.

I just can't seem to get these rods loose. So, if you can give me a clue what I'm doing wrong, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 01-15-16, 09:19 AM
NoMoreVTEC
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those clips are a pita to work with. It's best that you "feel" your way around the clips to determine which side has the opening. Unclip it from the rod and remove the rod from the actuator. I know this sounds easy, but it does take a bit of "finesse" to get it right.

I ended up breaking all of mine and had to order new clips. bought 10 of each from China on ebay for around $2 (each) so about $6 total.
Old 01-15-16, 05:54 PM
wentwest
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! Are both clips the same? Do you know the part number or do any Toyota left side clips work?
Old 01-18-16, 08:12 AM
NoMoreVTEC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wentwest
Thanks! Are both clips the same? Do you know the part number or do any Toyota left side clips work?
The clip I broke was part number 69293-12040.

It's a 5mm clip that connects to the door handle itself. fortunately mine was only on the drivers side so I only had to order for one side of the vehicle. I"m assuming the passenger side is different?

just confirmed the passenger side (right side are different). 69293-12060 are for the right side.
Old 01-26-16, 11:25 AM
wentwest
Driver School Candidate

Default Victory!

I got the rods separated, and nothing is broken. After 4 tries at the job, I finally took the door handle loose and moved it forward and away from the door. Then I could see the rod ends and I could get a better angle on separating them. It wasn't easy, but I did it. Putting the handle back in place was also a game, but it can be done.

Thanks for the help and the support. This is a complex job on the is300, maybe because the space is really tight.
Old 01-27-16, 11:38 AM
NoMoreVTEC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wentwest
I got the rods separated, and nothing is broken. After 4 tries at the job, I finally took the door handle loose and moved it forward and away from the door. Then I could see the rod ends and I could get a better angle on separating them. It wasn't easy, but I did it. Putting the handle back in place was also a game, but it can be done.

Thanks for the help and the support. This is a complex job on the is300, maybe because the space is really tight.
Yeah that's what I had to do as well I didn't know you didn't have the handle pulled, I would have suggested to do that first. I"m glad you got it worked out! I broke my clips (they were dry rotted) but had replacements in a few days. Tight space is an understatement in these cars; Not to the point of difficult but it can be a challenge if you try to take short cuts.