IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

IS300 Sitting for 3 years

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-15, 09:01 AM
JDMSteven
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default IS300 Sitting for 3 years

Sold my '99 ES and looking at an IS300. A family friend has one that's sat parked for close to 3 years without being opened or ran. Would it be wise to buy it if I got a stellar deal? Car looks great, seems to have lower mileage and (used to be) taken care of. It's been in a garage so paint still looks good just a little faded.

I'm guessing I'll have to do an oil change, coolant flush, trans fluid maybe, and air filters. Anything else I should include?
Old 10-02-15, 11:24 AM
mitsuman
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at all hoses and brake lines, and seals. If they sit dry long enough, they will crack and break.
Check the gas too. Doubt it will be bad after only 3 years, but if there is not much left, drain the tank and start with fresh.
And you might as well change the fuel filter to while you are at it. Start fresh with everything.
Old 10-03-15, 07:14 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Sitting in a garage for 3 years, I'd get it.
Old 10-03-15, 07:41 PM
Lexusfixer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get it but drain the gas tank before you even think about cranking it, whoever thinks gas is going to be good after 3 years has lost there mind. Take the time and drain that sucker, no need to create any problems. If tank is near empty give the car a good shake before you drain it and take a look at the gas when you drain and make sure you don't see any rust particles or debris. Fill with fresh gas and keep fingers crossed, you may have just scored a winner.
Old 10-09-15, 06:36 PM
DrDDay
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a lot of people around here's dream.

I would follow suit with what everyone else has said. Check anything and everything rubber that could break or leak. Hoses, seals, belts, bushings, tires ect. I think some of these items would be worse off if the car wasn't sitting in a garage. While you're in there, peel that timing belt cover back and take a peek. It's easy to access and you might as well see it before you do a lot of work only to have a timing belt let go on your way home.

Also, as other have said, drain all the fuel out, replace the filter and fill it up with some primo and some fuel system cleaner just in case there is some residual particulate floating around in there.
Old 10-22-15, 11:19 AM
phoenix19l
Driver School Candidate

I just recently ran across the same scenario, where the vehicle was sitting for 14 months since its last run, and approximately another 6 months before that it was parked. I have had the car for about a month now and am still running into issues. Luckily none of the issues are serious and just require some minor troubleshooting and technical prowess on my part. the good side of things is that my particular car has a built motor and turbo from SRT. the bad side of that, is that being modified, it causes a lot of unknowns. For example, it is currently misfiring on 3 cylinders. I have already replaced the fuel pump and filter (I had a few on hand), drained and replaced the fuel, flushed the entire fuel system, the list goes on. The fuel injectors are currently out being properly cleaned by injector dynamics and will be flow tested to ensure consistency. Next step will be to test the coils and replace spark plugs (ensuring proper gap). These are just minor issues that you can run into and should honestly expect from a car sitting fro months or years on end. you should also prepare yourself for dry rotted rubber; to include fuel lines, vacuum lines, tires, but not limited to the leather seats, dash melting issues, and even seized brake calipers and pads.

If you are ready for a vast amount of time troubleshooting issues, assuming this is not your primary mode of transportation, and you can get it at a good price, then I see no reason why you shouldn't scoop it up.
Old 10-22-15, 06:55 PM
az989
Driver School Candidate

Deff drain the fuel tank out. What i would do is pull the fuel pump stick a hose in there create a vacuum and have a gas can or bucket to catch the old gas. Also be nice to swap in a walbro 255lph as well since it comes with a fresh new filter. Run full fuel system cleaner like the gumout all in one. Put in fresh 91 fuel and start it up after you check all rubber lines, new oil, new coolant, new trans fluid, and new diff fluid.
I bet you the coolant is no good i would recommend filling up with distilled water and a radiator cleaner and run the car for 50 miles, do another flush with distilled water run for 20 miles and then put in toyota red coolant.

My brother just bought a ltuned is300 thats been sitting for only 3 months and the coolant is disgusting.