IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

DEX-COOL mixed with OEM TOYOTA RED COOLANT! BAD????

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-12, 04:32 PM
IntensaLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation DEX-COOL mixed with OEM TOYOTA RED COOLANT! BAD????

So I go for a Mobil 1 syn Oil change, the shop i took it to tops off all of the vehicles fluids during the oil change (which i did not know). As i walk over to my car i see the foreign worker adding fluid to my coolant reservoir tank (black cap). I asked the worker at the shop he says they added red DEX-COOL coolant fluid(if thats even true). I was pissed ! He filled it to the top of the coolant res tank lid. I dont think he added that much. Thanks in advance.

Should i be worried now that i have red DEX-COOL mixed into my OEM Toyota coolant ?
Will this damage or harm my engine ?
Old 09-07-12, 07:36 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

yes, bad things are possible. As it's their screw up I would demand they do a full flush and replace it with the proper toyota coolant or equivalent.

no, dex-cool is not an equivalent.
Old 09-08-12, 06:12 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

if its red, its not dex-cool, at least shouldn't be...

the problem is, few people actually care to know that there are differences between long life fluids and dex-cool, some assume because it is long life, it is dex...

a proper shop will never top off any fluid without first finding the reason it is low... chances are yours wasn't low to start, and it will all come out the overflow when the car gets to operating temperature... this irritates me because they are doing a disservice to you and the environment... there is a high and low mark on the reservoir for a reason...

there are many universal long life coolants that are compatible with Toyota's coolant, but in this instance, I am with PD, and would go back and ask for a full coolant flush with the proper stuff - if Toyota coolant was in there, ask for that to be put back in... Especially if it was really dex-cool - that stuff is terrible and IMO should never be used on any vehicle, but, when it is used, it is imperative that it is not mixed with any other coolant...
Old 09-08-12, 07:06 AM
IntensaLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your thoughts.
I spoke with the shop they say it was red dex-cool and that it is compatable with all cars. He says we do 100 cars a day mercedes lexus etc.and they add the same coolants no complaints or issues. Every oil change consist of topping off all fluids which I was supposed to know. At this point asking or having them to flush an refill with toyota coolant would just become a feud and I wouldn't want them working on my car on bad terms. I don't trust them
I will hold off until I do my water pump and timing belt replacement in a few weeks.
I just wanted to know can my engine be damaged by a little dex-cool mixed into my oem coolant fluid?
Old 09-09-12, 12:17 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Dex cool was developed for GM engines and was horrible in them (leading to several recalls and a HUGE class-action suit for blown manifold gaskets, it would literally eat through them.)

Honestly if you want to wait a couple weeks til you get it all flushed out with your major service, and it's going to be >freezing point where you live, I would just siphon out all the fluid from your reservoir and fill it with standard distilled (not purified, only distilled) water until then.