IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

fiberglass vs polyurethane

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-12, 06:33 PM
ais300c
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fiberglass vs polyurethane

So i was told a fiberglass body kit is no good and i should go with polyurethane, not sure about things like that but every body kit i find is fiberglass would it really make a huge difference?
Old 03-12-12, 07:08 PM
SuthrnGent
Lead Lap

Fiberglass is more brittle and prone to cracking when it comes in contact with the road whereas poly has the ability to flex. I wouldn't say an frp kit is no good, it just depends on your ride height and your driving conditions/obstacles. What kits are you looking into?
Old 03-12-12, 07:10 PM
NCis300
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

fiberglass is solid and hold its form very well but easily broken if you hit it on something, urethane is stronger in hitting things but is easier to bend and harder to keep paint on because it flexes more

i wouldnt buy a body kit if i were your, i was 16 wheni put one on my eclipse and i regret spending all that money on it, should have went to performance mods
Old 03-12-12, 07:17 PM
TobiasSing
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

A really good, quality fiberglass kit will work well. But it will shatter in an accident.

Polyurethane, on the other hand, is completely flexible. This makes it harder to paint, and harder to install (plus poly is heavier IMO), but when I crashed my car, the bumper and frame got crushed, but the ploy lip was only scratched.
Old 04-06-12, 12:04 AM
distant
Driver School Candidate

i prefer poly all the way, if you've ever seen cars with broken chunks off their front bumpers (kits) that's fiberglass. Although companies said they mixed fiberglass and poly somehow and I would wonder about that. Poly I had no problems I had a 350z with the lip and it took a lot of abuse and still looked decent. I got a rotary buffer and I know how to rattle can it and make it look oem so I save a lot of money on painting it lol. (j always reverse into spots with a lip on but when friends drove it..... yea it would be BAD if it was fiberglass)
Old 04-06-12, 11:25 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

I haven't read the responses but I'm sure everyone covered it.
Fiberglass gets stress cracks easily (especially front bumpers) and it is more fragile.
Urethane is bendable and twistable - more difficult to crack/break.

Urethane is more expensive all around but a lot more durable.
I would highly recommend getting a Urethane front bumper.
Old 04-06-12, 04:27 PM
Ether240
Driver School Candidate

who makes urethane front bumpers?
Old 04-07-12, 03:44 PM
distant
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ether240
who makes urethane front bumpers?
most places do since people always *****about fiberglass lol just read the discriptions
Old 04-07-12, 06:35 PM
Juic
Rookie

Originally Posted by distant
most places do since people always *****about fiberglass lol just read the discriptions
Huh? I think you meant to say most places DON'T.

As stated above, polyurethane is more expensive so most companies don't use it. The only full front bumpers in PU were L-Sportline, L-tuned, Modellista Qualitat, TRD V1&V2, and TTE. So basically L-sportline and Toyota were the only companies. As for lips there was TRD Elegance, Modellista Evolue, Vizage, and now there is a Greddy Replica that is made of PU.
Old 04-07-12, 09:24 PM
tonynca
Driver

Don't forget the new Duraflex Vertex style front bumper. It's made out of flexible materials too.
Old 04-08-12, 07:02 PM
ais300c
Pole Position

I am getting the duraflex c west front bumper. I wanted a little something for the front but thats it i hope i like it cuz im getting the car painted as soon as it gets here
Old 04-09-12, 09:35 AM
Extreme Dimensions
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duraflex is still fiberglass at the end of the day and it was something we created a couple of years back.

Here is a video:

Polyurethane like stated a few times above is always the best way to go, but the problem is that the mold to make one polyurethane piece, cost about 6-8 times as much versus making a mold for a duraflex bumper. The process is also different, duraflex parts are hand laid then we lay the flex resin and polyurethane pieces are typically injected into the mold. Which then raises the prices to the roof for complete poly front bumpers.

We carry, Duraflex front bumpers for your vehicle but we also have a polyurethane lip if you want to go that route. Or if you want to get a little crazy we also carry a full carbon front bumper! You can find more info here: http://extremedimensions.com/search....nk=Body%20Kits

ALSO, KEEP IN MIND THAT IF YOU ORDER YOUR PARTS FROM US DIRECTLY AND SINCE WE ARE VENDORS HERE, EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO AN EXCLUSIVE FORUM MEMBER DISCOUNT.

Guaranteed to beat any other advertised price that you have seen! Sorry I had to do the plug! ;-)
Old 04-09-12, 11:07 AM
tonynca
Driver

Nice, but I think you guys are making all the wrong body kits. I wish there were more lip kit available in Duraflex (TRD rep, wald, etc.)
Old 04-09-12, 02:29 PM
Juic
Rookie

Originally Posted by tonynca
Nice, but I think you guys are making all the wrong body kits.
I agree with this statement. But by all the wrong body kits, I mean making replicas of everyone else's body kits instead of your own original designs.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gro...ught-here.html
Old 04-09-12, 02:49 PM
tonynca
Driver

Juic, most people would love to buy authentic kits, but some are discontinued and some are downright unavailable.

Quick Reply: fiberglass vs polyurethane