I made the move...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-11, 06:51 PM
Iam99x
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I made the move...

Hello, all.

I have driven a RB25 powered S13 for over 3 years. It was a very fun car, but since my son was born less than 10 days ago, I knew it was time for a more comfortable car. It took me 2 hours to decide to trade the guy, but when he offered $XXX on top, I couldn't resist.

I got rid of the 240sx, and got myself an IS300. I love it, although, there are some flaws that I would like to fix.

Mechanically and electronically, the car is sound. Everything appears to be working just fine. It is completely stock other than a cheap air filter and muffler tip. I will be installing a short-ram intake and an Apexi World Sport muffler.

I don't want it loud, just elegant, per say.

The passenger fender needs to be replaced, and the rear bumper needs to be painted. Supposedly the original bumper was stolen...so the previous owner bought a silver one to replace it.

Here are a couple of pictures:

I'm not sure what that yellow is on the driver front wheel. It is randomly on the car in different places. I will tend to that when the time allows.

My main reason for posting was to ask you guys some questions about the best way to paint some body parts on this car. I plan on painting both fenders, both bumpers, and the trunk.

I have painted cars before, but I have never dealt with peal or any other paint additives. Can I buy this OEM paint with the pearl already in it, or should I just get the entire car repainted? I would hate to paint those parts and have too much or too little pearl, and it look off.

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know all of you!

-Allen
Old 08-21-11, 08:17 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Congrats on the ride... personally, I'd dump the short ram idea and put it back to stock... with any of the inside the engine bay air filters, you are just sucking in hot air from the engine bay... our stock intakes actually bring in outside air at ambient air temp, not the increased engine bay temp... this usually negates any benefit the larger short ram intake would normally give you (and it shows up on the dyno, typically because the engine bay is open and gives the short ram a better chance to get cooler air)...

You can purchase the exact color paint from a number of places (I found Carquest to have the best selection). These will be OEM replacement colors and will have the right amount of pearl and such added in already. On your bumpers and anything that is not metal essentially, you will need to add a flex additive which will change the color ever so slightly... here's the deal though - even though you can purchase the exact same color, it is not going to match... thats where the body shops have pretty good experience and that is in blending - they overspray onto the next exterior panel a little to blend so that there isn't a sharp change in color at a seam... The best way to do this is to paint the whole car - that way you are guaranteed a match all around...

Welcome to the club!
Old 08-21-11, 09:56 PM
d7620
Pole Position

congrats on your new car and son! you'll have fun with it.
missing foglights.
Old 08-22-11, 01:24 AM
dsp979
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to CL.

Unfortunately, the RB will be faster unless you turbo the IS300. Turbo is not an option for me since I don't have any smog hookups.
Old 08-22-11, 08:47 AM
Sytz
Driver School Candidate

I have just the Apexi WS II cat-back, and I love it, hope you do as well.
Old 08-22-11, 04:04 PM
mypinkIS
Driver

congrats on the new IS!!! i sold my s14 to get a more family friendly car as well
Old 08-22-11, 04:14 PM
ToMs2jz
Lead Lap

With pearl depends, you usually have to blend like if your painting a fender....paint the entire front end. It wont match if you paint one part. I say paint the entire car. Ive going on my 3rd pearl white paintjob so you know.
Old 08-22-11, 04:27 PM
Iam99x
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Congrats on the ride... personally, I'd dump the short ram idea and put it back to stock... with any of the inside the engine bay air filters, you are just sucking in hot air from the engine bay... our stock intakes actually bring in outside air at ambient air temp, not the increased engine bay temp... this usually negates any benefit the larger short ram intake would normally give you (and it shows up on the dyno, typically because the engine bay is open and gives the short ram a better chance to get cooler air)...

You can purchase the exact color paint from a number of places (I found Carquest to have the best selection). These will be OEM replacement colors and will have the right amount of pearl and such added in already. On your bumpers and anything that is not metal essentially, you will need to add a flex additive which will change the color ever so slightly... here's the deal though - even though you can purchase the exact same color, it is not going to match... thats where the body shops have pretty good experience and that is in blending - they overspray onto the next exterior panel a little to blend so that there isn't a sharp change in color at a seam... The best way to do this is to paint the whole car - that way you are guaranteed a match all around...

Welcome to the club!
Thanks for the tips and the welcome! Chances are I will repaint the entire car like you have said. I don't even know if I want to bother with pearl. I may do just a plain ole white--I guess it depends on the price difference.

Originally Posted by d7620
congrats on your new car and son! you'll have fun with it.
missing foglights.
Thanks! I love it so far. I don't know why someone removed the fog lights. I plan on getting another OEM set asap. I just hope they haven't screwed with the wiring...

Originally Posted by MaxNine
Welcome to CL.

Unfortunately, the RB will be faster unless you turbo the IS300. Turbo is not an option for me since I don't have any smog hookups.
I know the RB was faster. It pulled 12's in the quarter.

I may boost this one in the future... Still undecided. If I do, I will not remove the A/C or anything silly.It would be a pretty intercooler, and a quick spooling turbo, quiet, and reliable. My goal would be 300hp to the wheels if I did turbo it. I don't see that being an issue at all. I've built a few turbo cars myself in the past.

Originally Posted by Sytz
I have just the Apexi WS II cat-back, and I love it, hope you do as well.
Got any pics?!

Originally Posted by mypinkIS
congrats on the new IS!!! i sold my s14 to get a more family friendly car as well
Thanks! This is a big step up from an S-Chassis! This car makes me feel important LOL.

Originally Posted by ToMs2jz
With pearl depends, you usually have to blend like if your painting a fender....paint the entire front end. It wont match if you paint one part. I say paint the entire car. Ive going on my 3rd pearl white paintjob so you know.
I hear you... Like I said, I will most likely do the whole car. Sucks, but it costs to be pretty.
Old 08-25-11, 12:14 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

I love both cars, but I drive the S14 the most.
Gas is much cheaper for the 240!

Old 08-25-11, 12:26 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats. The foglights will look great once put on. It needs some TLC, but you'll get it there. Great color choice.
Old 08-25-11, 02:03 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

congrats on the 1IS.. any pics of your 240?
Old 09-05-11, 01:26 PM
Iam99x
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by L3XOTIC
Congrats. The foglights will look great once put on. It needs some TLC, but you'll get it there. Great color choice.
Yeah, I can't wait to get them. Gotta find some. What is a good price for them used? I have no idea on what goes for what when it comes to Lexus cars. Thanks about the color. I plan on painting it within a couple of months. Alpine white. Like you see on the newer BMWs. I was looking for the factory colored parts that matched my car--No luck there... I'm not the biggest fan of pearl, anyway.

Originally Posted by jadu
congrats on the 1IS.. any pics of your 240?
Here are some before I got spacers up front. After the spacers were on, the fitment up front matched the rear. It wasn't the prettiest thing, but it was fast.

Yes, the intercooler was crooked.

Most recent:
Old 09-05-11, 08:49 PM
NCis300
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats...you going to change those wheels?
Old 09-05-11, 08:56 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome noob, jk <3. a much better baby car