IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

B&M short shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-06, 01:24 PM
SidewaysIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B&M short shifter?

Who has experience with this unit? Any reviews good or bad?
Old 08-02-06, 02:02 PM
NSTY IS
Rookie

Default Short shifter

I was wanting to know the same thing.
Old 08-07-06, 12:52 PM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a PLP on the IS, but I installed a B&M on the 240 and it's a good, quality shifter.
Old 08-13-06, 08:47 PM
NSTY IS
Rookie

Talking B&M Ordered :woohoo:

I just ordered one on friday, it should be here and installed by the end of this week. I'll let you know what I think. By the way I got a petty good deal on it.
Old 08-14-06, 02:09 PM
revsteve
Rookie

what was your deal? and where did you get it?
Old 08-16-06, 09:42 AM
SOHKis
Pole Position

I'm using the B&M right now, a night a day improvement from stock. The shifter is only maybe an inch shorter/lower than stock, but shifts are DRAMATICALLY shorter. You can shift from gear to gear with a flip of the wrist. Definantly worth the $120 or whatever i spent on it.
Old 08-22-06, 11:29 AM
NSTY IS
Rookie

Originally Posted by revsteve
what was your deal? and where did you get it?

I bought it from Speedy Performance. Here is the link to it:

http://www.speedyperformanceparts.co...2002&partid=46

The price was resonable, compared to the PLP and the othe B&M shifters I have seen for sale. I wanted a used one, but no one was selling. Hope this helps.
Later
Old 08-28-06, 12:21 PM
NSTY IS
Rookie

Thumbs down B&M Install Update.

The B&M won't fit!

Apparently there are two different size Manual transmissions, and I have the one that is different than what B&M sells. I am trying to see if I can swap the plastic ends, but before I do, I need to make sure I can buy a replacement, incase it breaks when I take it off.
Old 09-07-06, 09:00 AM
NSTY IS
Rookie

Thumbs up B & M Installed

I was able to get the plastic end off of the stock shifter, and put it on the B&M, after that it all went together perfectly. I love the short throw of the B&M. It is like driving an NSX.

Later,
Old 09-07-06, 10:17 AM
edgy
Lead Lap

I have NEVER heard any thing about 2 "different sized" Manual Trannys.....WTF..? Wh o told you that ....?

that really mankes NO sense esp. if you know a little history on these short shifters.....

kinda an old topic on .net.... Also the OEM plastic tip thing doesn't break....they are Delrin or some other HARD plastic..it will pop off wit h the right amount of force etc try not to gouge it up with pliers or something like that tho.. .better to try to keep it smooth....

& the B&M is just like the PLP was..... you MUST swap the plastic tip off the oem shifter to get either of these to install.

I can't understand HOW B&M could make the SAME mistake PLP DID...

but they did...

the plastic tip that comes on the B&M or the PLP are just slightly too large to pop into the tranny....who knows where they got the specs for THAT piece..but they must have got them fro mthe same place hahaha

these have been this way for 3-4 years now i have actually had 3 of the B&M's & 2 of the PLP's & none of them fit with their own Plastic tip on....

swap tips & the B&M will slip right in...

Last edited by edgy; 09-07-06 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-08-06, 01:17 PM
NSTY IS
Rookie

Thanks for the info. I got it swaped over and installed.
Old 09-13-06, 08:02 AM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it pretty quiet or can you hear the shift beening made?
Old 09-14-06, 12:48 PM
KPC
Pole Position

Default B&m = Nice!!!

I have a B&M Short shifter on my lex right now....there is a slight increase in gear noise, sort of a whirring noise coming from the tranny...you cannot hear this noise if the windows are down or if you have the music on....some people say that is annoying, but i love the sound....its not that loud anyway. if you are looking for a smooth rubbery feel when shifting gears, DO NOT get the B&M...the B&M is for precision shifting and is much sturdier than the stock OEM shifter....shifting gears has a notchy feeling and "clicks" into gear...overall i am very pleased with this shifter...easy install with detailed instructions and basic hand-tools....decreases the throw by 50%....crazy!...i would definalely recommend this shifter. I payed $185 for mine...just research it on google, you might find it cheaper.

Last edited by KPC; 09-14-06 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-14-06, 01:42 PM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KPC
I have a B&M Short shifter on my lex right now....there is a slight increase in gear noise, sort of a whirring noise coming from the tranny...you cannot hear this noise if the windows are down or if you have the music on....some people say that is annoying, but i love the sound....its not that loud anyway. if you are looking for a smooth rubbery feel when shifting gears, DO NOT get the B&M...the B&M is for precision shifting and is much sturdier than the stock OEM shifter....shifting gears has a notchy feeling and "clicks" into gear...overall i am very pleased with this shifter...easy install with detailed instructions and basic hand-tools....decreases the throw by 50%....crazy!...i would definalely recommend this shifter. I payed $185 for mine...just research it on google, you might find it cheaper.

Nice Im going to pic one up this week.
Old 09-16-06, 05:28 PM
KPC
Pole Position

Smile SOme Comparitave pics!

Hope These pics help....:P
Attached Thumbnails B&M short shifter?-collage.jpg  

Quick Reply: B&M short shifter?